In TN., do we have gun registration?

Guest mopower440

Guest mopower440

Here in TN., when we go and buy a new gun from a dealer and they do a back ground check, does that automatically register the gun your buying? In other words, when i went to the gun store and bought my ne pistol and the did my background search, did that register my gun?

Guest mopower440

ahh, ok. Here i  have been looking tirelessly for used guns in case they do a confiscation thinking  they wouldnt know i had one if i bought used instead of new. I thought when they did the background check and you purchased the gun, the state or govt kept record of it.

The data that is received at the NICS system is removed after 24 hours.

The 4473 forum is kept at the FFL forever.

NO, there is not a list kept by the government, that we know of.

Edited by RED333

The data that is received at the NICS system is removed after 24 hours.

The 4473 forum is kept at the FFL forever.

NO, there is not a list kept by the government, that we know of.

Aren't these forms turned in to the BATFE once the dealer lets his FFL expire?

Guest mopower440

ahh, but if they went around to all the FFL dealers and got the lists, then they would know you had one. Not good. Back to looking for a used one..

ahh, but if they went around to all the FFL dealers and got the lists, then they would know you had one. Not good. Back to looking for a used one..

In TN the FFL must keep a physical record of the sale (including the gun's serial # & your info) for 20 years. The BATF does random checks & can ask for any of the FFL's gun records dating back, up to 20 years. After the 20 year period is up, the FFL can trash the records. A friend owns a pawn shop & showed me his storage room where he has about 10 filing cabinets full of gun reciepts waiting to expire so he can get rid of them.

Edited by luvmyberetta

And we know the government would NEVER do anything illegal!!!!

Yeah I know. I honestly don't care if they know what I have. All mine went over board in a tragic fishing accident. Of course if they are asking, well...... We won't go there.

• Like 1

Unless the laws have changed, the 4473 may be destroyed after 20 years.  If the FFL goes out of business, they are required to send the 4473 to the ATF office, and I believe under law, these forms are to be destroyed after 20 years.  This was how I read the rules & regulations when I was a FFL which btw was 20 years ago.

I have always had my doubts as to if anyone would exert the effort to round all the forms up from the gun stores and compile a list. Seems to much trouble.  I do know that the ATF does audit gun shops and reviews the forms and such. What I don't know is what they actually do beyond that.

Tall tales of ATF going around making photo copies of 4473s, but who knows what is being done.

If anyone is worried about being on a list, dont, for you are.

I know I am, I have a HCP.

Tall tales of ATF going around making photo copies of 4473s, but who knows what is being done.

If anyone is worried about being on a list, dont, for you are.

I know I am, I have a HCP.

Yep same here. Former Marine, gun owner, NRA member, etc etc. I have no fear of my government.

• Like 1

Yep same here. Former Marine, gun owner, NRA member, etc etc. I have no fear of my government.

I am with ya, Navy, NRA, GOA, background checks to get on subs, to work at schools an cooking gear.

Scout leader, taxpayer, land owner, I can go on and on.

Guest mopower440

not that im worried, its that i dont want them taking my guns if they decide on a confiscation or whatever they do. I to am a ccp holder.

not that im worried, its that i dont want them taking my guns if they decide on a confiscation or whatever they do. I to am a ccp holder.

You will have much more to worry about if that is going on.

• Like 1

If you have a HCP, I'm afraid you are already on a list of people to be visited if confiscation happens.

• Like 1

If the government decided to go into the business of confiscating all weapons, it's not going to matter if you bought it new or used.  They will be coming into your home to check for weapons whether you like it or not.  4473 or no 4473, unless you hide every single trace that you are a gun owner so well that they don't find any of it, your home will be searched for weapons.  

If the government decided to go into the business of confiscating all weapons, it's not going to matter if you bought it new or used.  They will be coming into your home to check for weapons whether you like it or not.  4473 or no 4473, unless you hide every single trace that you are a gun owner so well that they don't find any of it, your home will be searched for weapons.  

Theres another option. They might come to my home. They won't need to search it to find out where my guns are.

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere

In TN the FFL must keep a physical record of the sale (including the gun's serial # & your info) for 20 years. ..

In every state. Federal requirement. Denied 4473s must be kept for 5 years. Also entered into bound book.

There is a separate form for purchase of two or more handguns in a 5 day period, in triplicate. One copy is sent or faxed to ATF, one to "state police" (I assume that's TBI here), and one must be kept by FFL for five years. Never found an indication those forms must be destroyed by the feds or the state.

There is also the separate form for the the Mexican bordering states now also, for semi-auto weapons (all, more than 1, pistols and rifles? - I forget the details), that is sent to wherever too.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

How many 4473 have been competed in the past 4 years alone? I don't know. I've seen conflicting numbers posted about the Internet. It think I saw one the other day that said around 60 million. Do you know how labor intensive it would be to create a database of all that if they wanted to? All those hand jammed forms? I suppose it could happen, but considering we can't afford to deploy aircraft carriers on routine deployments, I don't see that happening.