$3875 1911 - Is it worth it?

Romad7

Is that worth something? LOL

At the end of the day, no matter what any of us tell you, let your money bring you happiness. What good is money if you don't have what you REALLY want.

It might be worth something to someone, somewhere. If nothing else, the safety is a piece you can bling out. Maybe use a bedazzler?

I think we should start a 1911 vs. Glock thread to see where things go  :screwy:

Is that worth something? LOL
At the end of the day, no matter what any of us tell you, let your money bring you happiness. What good is money if you don't have what you REALLY want.

That's what I'm thinking. I want the gun that will stand above all others in my eyes. If I'm going to spend a bunch on "the" gun then I don't want to be thinking that I should have bought the other one.

It might be worth something to someone, somewhere. If nothing else, the safety is a piece you can bling out. Maybe use a bedazzler?

I think we should start a 1911 vs. Glock thread to see where things go  :screwy:

That's exactly what the world needs...another 1911 vs Glock thread.

I carry a 1911 and my bedside gun is a Glock so I'm not in either camp. But I am a bit of a romantic about guns, I want my carry gun to be special like a swordsman in the old times.

That's what I'm thinking. I want the gun that will stand above all others in my eyes. If I'm going to spend a bunch on "the" gun then I don't want to be thinking that I should have bought the other one.

Then you have your answer. You won't be happy until you've pulled a muscle reaching for the top shelf. Go ahead, get a step ladder and be done with it.

Just be sure to post pictures so all the JMB worshippers may reverently drool in awe.
  • Admin Team
I don't know what a particular Master Dealer would save you, but we've got a few on here. It's probably worth calling and having the conversation.

For my money, were I going to spend that on a pistol, I'd go for a Springfield Armory Pro PC9111. That's the gold standard in my book. At $2,600, it's still a lot less than the list on the Wilson Combat. Or, you could call Jeff Meister and get him to build you a true custom with top shelf parts exactly to your spec. Either one of those will shoot at least as well as the Wilson.

Shoot, for $3,875 you could just about get both.
  • Like 1

Wilson's are worth the price,but you need to find you a master dealer to order through.I just placed an order for a Wilson CQB Elite w/ Bull Bbl.Mag Well,Black Armour Tough finish,Night Sites,and a few extras's.Cost $3495 shipped,Wilson's price $3600+ and a two year wait,the dealer I used saved me quite a bit and he was told a year wait,he made a phone call and it will be ready in 4 months so yes I think they are worth it,but you need to shop a round before you take the plunge.I also have a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special being built and I gave $1965 shipped to my dealer,like I said if you want to spend that kind of money just shop around.

IMHO If you are buying the gun as a show piece go for it. Make it as fancy as you want with all the bells and whistles. Now if you are looking for a carry or target gun buy the show gun and then spend another 1k on a good work gun
It is your money, spend it as you like. Life is to short.

Also please remember to leave the Wilson to me in your will ;).

I don't know what a particular Master Dealer would save you, but we've got a few on here. It's probably worth calling and having the conversation.
For my money, were I going to spend that on a pistol, I'd go for a Springfield Armory Pro PC9111. That's the gold standard in my book. At $2,600, it's still a lot less than the list on the Wilson Combat. Or, you could call Jeff Meister and get him to build you a true custom with top shelf parts exactly to your spec. Either one of those will shoot at least as well as the Wilson.
Shoot, for $3,875 you could just about get both.

The custom build is sounding great to me. That sounds like a lot of fun to me as I do like shopping for gun stuff. I'm sure that I could show him all the things that I like about the Wilson and he could do it the way that if perfect for me. You might be onto something there.

Then I could used the savings to buy a couple more Glocks. Win-win!

If you want it and have no problems affording it, then get it.  I wouldn't worry about what others think.  It is your money, and nobody else on this forum helped your earn it.  I have several expensive 1911s, but nothing that expensive.  I agree with MacGyvers comments on the matter.  The Springfield Pro is a top shelf 1911 and considerably cheaper.  Mine cost around $2300 (pretax).  The downside is that it took me almost 18 months to get it.

If I was in the market for that gun, which at one time I was, I would be on the lookout for a used one.  I would say that a majority of owners of very expensive 1911s don't shoot them all that much, so you can get a used one that is practically brand new.

I have a Les Baer 1.5 guarantee SRP pistol on layaway that I will get out this July, $2800.00 with everything that I want on it and some John Harrison custom work

I also have two Springfield PC9111's on layaway i would take any of these pistols over that Wilson and use the extra money for ammo, Holsters and training, 

Having said that, if you love that Wilson email my friend George Talia    www.migunslingers.com   he will let you put money down and order it for you he is a Master Wilson dealer and will give you an excellent price and allow you time to pay it off

Edited by willis68
  • Like 1

Romad7 , you said this " Also not worried about any wear from carrying it, that will happen, its a tool."

That my friend is awesome !

A fellow that isnt afraid to let his new gun get scared nor scratched and going to use it like it was made to be used ! To me that is awesome !

When your grandkids get it later on in life , they will wonder in aww what the story was behind the scratches and marks . To me there is nothing more sexier in the gun world than a good working gun with marks and scratches.

Guest drv2fst

Uhh no. Not in a thousand years. I can buy three Glocks and enough components to shoot a LOT for that money. And no matter what anyone says, the ONLY thing that gun can do a Glock cannot is look pretty. Whoopedy do. When I scratch my Glock, I say one mild swear word. You drop that on the ground or roll around with it in the holster and you'll be one sick customer.

My two cents, which figuring in inflation ain't worth more than three pesos.

Obviously Caster has never owned a Wilson.  

I have owned a Wilson and many Glocks.  The Wilson will be significantly more accurate than a Glock.  The Wilson will be the first gun you grab when you are shooting for the shear joy of it.  It will be the first gun you grab when you want to develop your best accuracy as a shooter.  

Glocks are great guns for putting lots of holes in someone that is 3-15 ft in front of you.  Wilson is the gun if you want to shoot them in the eye at 25 yards.  

I traded my Wilson away and regret it.  I have bought, traded, and sold many Glocks without a second thought.  You can always get another one.  I bought two in the last two weeks, yawn.  But I'd take the day off work to go shoot if I had just bought another Wilson.  

If you can spend that kind of cash without worry, then why not get the best?  Why not get something that you will really enjoy?  I've owned many Porsches and many Hondas.  Hondas work.  I drive a Honda today... but I'd prefer to be driving one of the Porsches that I sold or crashed.

However, if you are looking for something to take to a training class, take a Glock.  If you are looking for something that your wife may need to use to defend your life or the lives of your kids, get a Glock.  For that matter, get both.  If you can afford $4,000 for one gun, you can certainly afford $4,529 for two guns.

Edited by drv2fst

Obviously Caster has never owned a Wilson.

I have owned a Wilson and many Glocks. The Wilson will be significantly more accurate than a Glock. The Wilson will be the first gun you grab when you are shooting for the shear joy of it. It will be the first gun you grab when you want to develop your best accuracy as a shooter.

Glocks are great guns for putting lots of holes in someone that is 3-15 ft in front of you. Wilson is the gun if you want to shoot them in the eye at 25 yards.

I traded my Wilson away and regret it. I have bought, traded, and sold many Glocks without a second thought. You can always get another one. I bought two in the last two weeks, yawn. But I'd take the day off work to go shoot if I had just bought another Wilson.

If you can spend that kind of cash without worry, then why not get the best? Why not get something that you will really enjoy? I've owned many Porsches and many Hondas. Hondas work. I drive a Honda today... but I'd prefer to be driving one of the Porsches that I sold or crashed.

However, if you are looking for something to take to a training class, take a Glock. If you are looking for something that your wife may need to use to defend your life or the lives of your kids, get a Glock. For that matter, get both. If you can afford $4,000 for one gun, you can certainly afford $4,529 for two guns.

I second that. I've never owned a nighthawk Wilson Ed or Les but I can tell you they shoot much better than the ruger sr1911 or the 3 glocks I have or the kimbers, sigs or spring fields I've shot. All the guys I work with carry these high end 1911's so I've gotten to shoot them over the years and shoot as good or better than advertised.

I've only owned about a dozen 1911s, none now.  A fella I know showed me his 50+ 1911s in his safe from custom made for him Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk and of course all the usual suspects including 4 RIAs.  His collection is sort of legendary and some folks keep track of how many he has.  I also know some now retired bullseye shooters who had 50M slow fire custom 1911s.  

A friend of mine who carries a custom SA Pro 1911 as part of his duty uniform told me that regardless of how well he handles a 1911 he told me if he has to have at least 2 because one of them is in with the organizational armorer due to these guns inability to hold up to his volume of practice fire.

What I would look at is if that 3800.00 1911 will hold its value.  Next I am with another poster in this thread thinking that the all steel version might be a better choice for this price point.  But like the fella with the over 4 dozen 1911s and some very high dollar ones only you can answer your question.  

If I were spending that kind of money I would get one from an even smaller volume gunsmith.  I asked one such small gunsmith one time how much a good shooting 9mm would cost me and he told me about 2400.00.  

• Like 1
I checked out Hero-1911 (Jeff Meister) and I really like his guns and they do ARs so maybe a matching set is in my future!

What was the name of the 1911 guy out west of Nashville? Isn't he a member here?

The idea of a hand made 1911 from a small local shop really interests me, I would be much prouder to say that my gun was made locally in Tennessee than even to say its a Wilson Combat. And I am a big supporter of local gun shops.

It looks like I will be spending a good amount of money for this gun, maybe not the high 3s but probably the mid to high 2s. I think that it will be worth it in the end. I don't do this kind of thing very often but when I do, I tend to go big and rarely regret it.

You guys are awesome and the reason that I will stay a benefactor even though I rarely sell anything. It's great to be able to field ideas with such a varied group of good dudes!

So what's your point? Possibly that there is still one step more involved in firing a 1911 than there is to fire a Glock.

Right, because you couldn't possibly learn to release the safety on a 1911 as you're drawing.  :cool:   :stir:

I checked out Hero-1911 (Jeff Meister) and I really like his guns and they do ARs so maybe a matching set is in my future!

What was the name of the 1911 guy out west of Nashville? Isn't he a member here?

The idea of a hand made 1911 from a small local shop really interests me, I would be much prouder to say that my gun was made locally in Tennessee than even to say its a Wilson Combat. And I am a big supporter of local gun shops.

It looks like I will be spending a good amount of money for this gun, maybe not the high 3s but probably the mid to high 2s. I think that it will be worth it in the end. I don't do this kind of thing very often but when I do, I tend to go big and rarely regret it.

You guys are awesome and the reason that I will stay a benefactor even though I rarely sell anything. It's great to be able to field ideas with such a varied group of good dudes!

The guy in west Nashville: You're not speaking of Tim Calhoun are you? If so, yea he's a member here. There's also Sam in Gallatin who comes highly recommended. I can't ever remember his last name or exactly where he's at but just wait and someone will come along and fill in the blanks.

If you want a custom gun, get one, and you will be happy with it and I am sure whoever does the work will go out of their way to ensure it is right.   You almost never see customs up for sale and when you do, its because 1) the owner died or 2) its worn out or 3) owner is desperate for $$ and its a sad story etc.   I have YET to see someone selling their custom $5k 1911 because "they got tired of it" or "it does not work" or the like.   When you do see someone with one its their pride and joy.  Basically, odds are in your favor of being very happy with it if its what you want.