Commercial Appeal HCP database

Was wondering why the Commercial Appeal still has this database up and running. I thought the newly passed law was supposed to stop that. They attempt to explain it but not sure the legality of it.

Will someone have to challenge them in court?

I would say what they have is legal copy of public records upon time of release. It is not a current up to date access to state records. So this is how they don't have to take down that information. Only my opinion.
Guest PapaB

The law took effect immediately and had no grandfather provision in it. It appears to me that the commie appeal is in violation if they haven't obliterated that information. Taking it offline would not be sufficient. Too bad a daily fine for each record maintained in violation wasn't included in the bill.

I don't like that they still have the data up but it may well take a lawsuit to get them to take it down.

We can take some comfort in the knowledge that unless some leftest just want's to throw money down a rat hole (which could happen); papers (left and right leaning) are all going to go the way of the telegraph and soon, the post office - they are an anachronism that will not be able to survive much longer.

Personally, I haven't read a physical newspaper in 15 years; even the ones I get free when I'm traveling and I seriously doubt I'm unusual in that regard.

• Like 1

Personally, I haven't read a physical newspaper in 15 years; even the ones I get free when I'm traveling and I seriously doubt I'm unusual in that regard.

Same here. The latest paper I subscribed to was the Chattanooga Times Free Press. I canceled several years ago after some editor named Rebecca decided they would post personal information about thousands of people. The information served no purpose.

Government can't make any ex post facto laws, they can't give you data under public domain and then turn around sometime later and say the data is now prohibited.  Also, trying to force them to take the data down will result in a lawsuit that the state will loose over 1st amendment grounds.

If somebody illegally obtains and then provides the CA with all HCP permit holder records, they can publish it no matter what state law says.  (ie Pentagon Papers) The state could come after the person who obtained the information, but couldn't charge/file suit against the paper, or force them to take the information down.

And don't get mad at the paper over this, focus on the real root cause of the problem...  Why does the state need a list of law abiding citizens exercising their 2nd Amendment rights in the first place?  If the state didn't have the information to begin with the CA wouldn't have it either.

The law took effect immediately and had no grandfather provision in it. It appears to me that the commie appeal is in violation if they haven't obliterated that information. Taking it offline would not be sufficient. Too bad a daily fine for each record maintained in violation wasn't included in the bill.

Edited by JayC
  • Like 3

cowardly scumbags. Apply that term to the CA, and to the legislators of your choice.

It's going to take a monumental effort to ever make this state a constitutional carry state-- too many lily-livered RINOS in the state house-- and they play right into the hands of folks like the CA. Considering the way our "right" to carry is only a "defense" against going armed, I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by tartanphantom
Guest 270win

If a lawyer thinks he has a solid lawsuit, i'd be glad to join in.

The commercial appeal is nothing but a racist cancer of a rag that keeps Memphis stuck in the 'civil rights' era and can't move into modern times.

Guest RedLights&Sirens

The commercial appeal is nothing but a racist cancer of a rag that keeps Memphis stuck in the 'civil rights' era and can't move into modern times.

I think that there is much, much more than the CA holding this city back.

I am very disapoint to see my wife and I listed on there.

You won't cure a cancer, treating only the surface problems.

Most of those paying for the commie rag, use it in bird cages.  They aren't aware the CA database exists.

Edited by tnhawk
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators
[quote name="2.ooohhh" post="1175448" timestamp="1407161173"]They moved it a while back, not sure if it's gone or behind the paywall, but I suspect it's due to the amount of bandwidth it was consuming vs the income it was generating. :pleased:[/quote] Or that is is practically impossible for them to get up to date data due to a law passed earlier?