Taurus revolvers

I'm a semi-auto guy but lately I've had a hankering for a big bore wheel gun.  I've narrowed it down to 44 magnum and have been researching brands/models a bit.  I'm interested in the Taurus 6.5" model and was wondering if any of you have experience with it or Taurus wheel guns in general.  I'm not a fan of their semi-auto offerings but it seems like their revolvers are a good quality for the price point.  I know I could buy much higher quality but....opinions?

I had a raging bull in 44mag and never had any issues. But only shot it maybe 150 rounds. I sold it due to the cost to shoot it.

I never shot any REALLY hot loads in it, most were target loads.

I have a 357 now with no problems. Maybe 200 rounds in it. Not sure how many the previous owner put through it.

All the load in the Taurus 357 were full power remington JHP. Nothin feels loose and it still seems just as tight as a new one.

The double action on most taurus guns are not as good as a Colt or Smith. But for the money they are hard to beat.

I can't say they are as strong as a Ruger or Smith and not sure how long they will hold up to full power loads.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Taurus revolver. But if I planned to do alot of heavy shooting with full power loads I get larger frame model.

Taurus hs a lifetime warranty, so you really can't beat that.

I will add that my brother had a Rossi made by taurus that locked in less than 50 rounds. Taurus fixed it FREE and had it back to him in 3 weeks.

They smoothed the triger and it shot like a dream after it came back.

If money were not really an issue I'd get a Smith ot Ruger as they have proven reliability in the magnum calibers.

But they are expensive.....

I now have 2 941s and a 94, 22m and 22lr respectively, the all steel version (it comes in a lightweight zinc frame too but after the S&W experience I am done with potmetal).  They have proven to be very accurate and reliable, the actions were rough out the box but cleaned up nicely.   For the money, those little guns cannot be beat.  Honestly, I have had good luck with their autos too, shot several beretta 92 clones and had a 709 slim for several years, all functioned properly and for the price I could not complain about any of them.  

One of the revolvers did have a manufacturing defect, and they promptly fixed the gun with excellent service.

I had the Raging Judge Magnum 6" and it was just too much for me. I like shooting the 454 and 45 Colt but it was expensive (454 was a blast but $$$) and the gun was too big to be useful for what I wanted. It was my first wheel gun and I wish I had went with a 4" in 357, it would have been much more useful.

If you are hunting or just like huge guns then the 6" 44 mag sounds like fun although there are probably better calibers for hunting, I don't know.

The RJM was a pretty good gun though but the quality of work wasn't the best. Mainly cosmetic from what I could tell. Machining marks, some rough edges and the lettering was pretty crappy. I would probably only buy another Taurus if I didn't have the money for something better. Not bad guns but I prefer higher quality when I can get it.

The Tracker series may be better quality than the RJM. I don't mean to put down the brand, mine was a solid gun but its the little things for me.

Thanks for all the comments guys.  I'm really not a fan of the Ruger design but there are some Smith's that I have been looking at.  I just really dont want to spend 1300 on a revolver but I may hold off and try to locate a nice used Smith.  Small cosmetic imperfections don't really bother me.  At this price point I'm not expecting a show peice by any means and I intend for it to see some abuse anyhow.

Thanks for all the comments guys.  I'm really not a fan of the Ruger design but there are some Smith's that I have been looking at.  I just really dont want to spend 1300 on a revolver but I may hold off and try to locate a nice used Smith.  Small cosmetic imperfections don't really bother me.  At this price point I'm not expecting a show peice by any means and I intend for it to see some abuse anyhow.

You can find a TON of 50's-80s era S&W revolvers in the $500ish price range in 38 and 357.  They made bajillions of them and everyone had one.  I have a model 19 that I would not trade for anything... its an amazing pistol.   The trouble is that 44 is less common and more expensive.   You may find one, but it may be a lot harder....  still, if you can find one, they are high quality guns and will serve you well.

Edited by Jonnin

I've owned 3 Taurus revolvers over the years.  My personal experiences with them:

The 617 is a compact framed snubnose 7 shot 357 magnum.  It was my first gun, and I doubt I'd ever buy one again as it's neither fish nor fowl.  Too big/thick for proper CCW with that 7 shot cylinder, with all the disadvantages of a snubbie.  On the other hand it always worked well, never gave me any trouble and was as accurate as could be expected for a snubbie.  I eventually sold it as I now have a S&W 649 for regular CCW and a 3" Ruger SP101 for when I can carry something a little larger.

The current model 66 is 7 shot medium framed .357 revolver, mine was an older model 6 shot.  It always shot well, but had been abused by previous owners and was in rough condition.  I sold it after I lucked into a deal on a nice 4" Ruger GP100. 

The 94 was a nice little plinker. 9 shot .22lr, 4" blued.  The only problem with it is the extremely long and heavy double action trigger.  Single action worked great.  Everything I read said there wasn't much to be done about the DA pull except put up with it.  Eventually I sold it after I purchased a new S&W 617 and an older S&W 63.

(why yes, I DO like revolvers :D )

Anyway, I will say that I never had much trouble out of mine, but I do think my Rugers & Smiths are worth the extra cost. 

Edited by BryanP

I have a tracker 44mag and a snub .357 (605). I had a 66 and 85 as well. In my opinion, quality is excellent.

I have a Tracker 44 Mag with the ported barrel. Haven't put more than a 100 rounds thru it, but found it accurate and fun to shoot. And it's even better with 44 special loads, but those seem to cost more than the magnums these days.

Ok I just left a local pawn shop and they had a used super redhawk. It was in piss poor condition with a missing front sight? Anyway I liked the feel of it and had it been in better condition I may have walked out the door with it. I will keep an eye out for one on GB, etc.

I've almost decided to shy away from the Taurus in favor of a Ruger or S&W if I can find a good deal on a used one.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I've had several Taurus revolvers and 2 9mm Autos over a 35 year period. Had to send one model 65 back for realignment of barrel. When returned it was a shooter.  No others had issues. And that was back in the 80's.

Currently have SS Tracker in .41 Mag. 10 years, 300+ rounds = no problems. More accurate than some of the N-frames I've had.  Not as accurate as an old Python or a new Super Redhawk. BUT dollar for dollar, worth me keeping.

And I think I'm gonna buy one of the Taurus 405's...........................................just for plinking.

Edited by HvBikeWlTravel
I've never had any problems or issues with any of the Taurii that I've owned over the years, I still prefer S&W's (especially the older pre-lock, pinned & recessed ones) but if budget is an issue a Taurus will get the job done.

I've decided to look for a used Super redhawk.  I've been keepin an eye on gunbroker for a good deal.

I have an uncle who has taken a deer or two with his Super Redhawk in .44 Mag.  I own a Super Blackhawk, also in .44 Mag, and really like it.  I haven't hunted with it (yet) but when I decided I wanted a .44 Mag I figured that anything I would be likely to do with a long barreled (mine is a seven inch barrel) .44 Mag I would probably do in single action, anyhow - and I found a used SBH at a price I could deal with.

I wouldn't mind having one of the short barreled Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskans in .44 Mag - I'd probably carry it, sometimes - but my gun funds are pretty low at the moment.  Good luck in your search!  Just be warned that a revolver in .44 Mag might make you want a lever gun to match it (I ended up getting a older Marlin.)

Oh, and you wouldn't believe how much fun and pleasant .44 Specials are to shoot out of a large, heavy .44 Mag revolver.  I have a box of Remington LRN .44 Specials that was in my late father's things (apparently, he owned a .44 at some point but I don't remember it.)  I fired off one or two and they put a big grin on my face.  Of course, they aren't any cheaper to buy than full .44 Mag rounds.

Edited by JAB

I own a 605 snubby, my everyday carry piece. I put a reduced power hammer spring in it (which in reality is what reduces trigger pull, it's now about 5 lbs). Always fires, has never locked up and as previously mentioned, as accurate as you might expect with a snubby. I think I paid about $400 new.

• 2 months later...

I own a few Taurus models and really like my Tracker in 44 MAG. The ported barrel makes it easier to keep on target after it fires and so far I have had no problems with it. I've put 300 to 400 rounds through it, no misfires or failures.

Guest The Itis

You can't go wrong with a Taurus big bore revolver.

It's funny that you'll hear people trash Taurus quality if there's something wrong and that's that. But when there's something wrong with a Ruger, they'll only praise the customer service.

Big bore revolvers are much different than polymer compact guns, and the Raging Bull is highly regarded, some don't even realize it's a Taurus

Just to follow up:  I ended up buying a Ruger GP100 with 4" barrel in 357 magnum.  I built a 10mm 1911 to use as my hunting rig so I decided to go with 357.  I've only shot it once but I'm very happy with my decision.  I had no idea wheelguns could be this much fun!