3D gun files pulled due to potential ITAR violation

Guest confidence

They can't undo what has been done. Once something is on the internet it is there forever.

Personally I see nothing wrong with what they are doing. And I bet that it will stand up to freedom of speech muster. If they are going to limit their ability to release this information then it will be a huge blow to everyone. Imagine if all the other reference materails were pulled off the net. I know they can't but it is easy to limit what someone has access to.

IMHO it is not a ITAR issue. It is a freedom of speech issue.

• Like 2
Guest Lester Weevils

I just looked on scribd and at least wasn't able to find the files as of yet. Would have figgered they would go up on scribd pretty quick. I don't care about looking at the files, was just curious if they had hit scribd. They are not a "pirate site" but people upload quite a bit of stuff up there that the gov probably didn't intend to go public.

They can't undo what has been done. Once something is on the internet it is there forever.

Personally I see nothing wrong with what they are doing. And I bet that it will stand up to freedom of speech muster. If they are going to limit their ability to release this information then it will be a huge blow to everyone. Imagine if all the other reference materails were pulled off the net. I know they can't but it is easy to limit what someone has access to.

IMHO it is not a ITAR issue. It is a freedom of speech issue.

The letter even states that they haven't determined if it's an ITAR issue yet.  But he's ordered to cease and desist until such time as they can make that determination.  Whether that's a legal order or not, I don't know.  I do know that the ITAR folks don't play. 

• Admin Team
In my mind there's not a lot of difference between this and the governments in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya shutting down Twitter and social networking before their respective uprisings.

A government can't outlaw thought, but it can try to muzzle individual voices. There's no military hardware here; this is not something that ITAR ought to apply to.

This is a First Amendment issue more than a Second Amendment issue. Someone's just using a piece of plastic shaped like a gun as a megaphone.
  • Like 2
  • Admin Team
I love this fallacy that even our government seems to fall for. It shows how separated they really are from reality. That somehow if you do it just right you can put a cork in this" Internet problem."

You can't put Pandora back in the box. Someone let him out a long time ago.

Make no mistake about it. This is a good part of the reason any government wants an Internet kill switch. This is a small example but it's easy to extrapolate to a larger narrative.

If they can silence this young man they can also silence you when you say something or do something they don't agree with.

the "solution" I was hearing was to make 3-d printers refuse to print some shapes, sort of like how most copiers and scanners have software to fight printing money.  

Dunno how possible that would be, everything in a gun is basic except the frame and usable in other applications.  I mean a simple one is just a tube, really...

Guest Lester Weevils

Hmmm, if the feds manage to claim ownership of the files somehow (copyright eminent domain or other nutty theory), then they can unleash the Digital Millenium Copyright Act on file mirrors, which is a pretty freaking big hammer.

Noticed this article from March-- http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/03/3d-printing-gunmaker-forms-company-to-flout-copyright-law-a-la-the-pirate-bay/

Where Cody is quoted, "Help us turn DefCAD into the world’s first unblockable, open-source search engine for 3D printable parts,” Wilson narrates in the video. “There will be no takedowns. Ever.”

Famous last words, at least as of today. Hey ya'll, hold my beer and watch this! :)

• Moderators

I have a feeling this guy isn't going down without a fight.

Why fight when you've already won? The information is out there and it can't be stopped. Any action by the us.gov at this point just further demonstrates its impotence.

I love this fallacy that even our government seems to fall for. It shows how separated they really are from reality. That somehow if you do it just right you can put a cork in this" Internet problem."

You can't put Pandora back in the box. Someone let him out a long time ago.

Make no mistake about it. This is a good part of the reason any government wants an Internet kill switch. This is a small example but it's easy to extrapolate to a larger narrative.

If they can silence this young man they can also silence you when you say something or do something they don't agree with.

It's like the White House demanding that nobody photoshop the Skeet Shooter in Chief. Hey Obama... :x:

• Like 1

the "solution" I was hearing was to make 3-d printers refuse to print some shapes, sort of like how most copiers and scanners have software to fight printing money.  

Dunno how possible that would be, everything in a gun is basic except the frame and usable in other applications.  I mean a simple one is just a tube, really...

Who said it has to "look" like a gun? 3D printing...anything is possible.

Guest Lester Weevils

A law requiring 3-D printers to be smart enough not to print guns, might be kinda like a law requiring that even the biggest pick-up trucks must give at least 60 miles per gallon? Just go all the way and repeal the law of gravity! :)

If the government can come in and force this to be shut down for safety reasons or ITAR violations I guess Paladin Press better close up shop now. And every US based website that tells you how to do something illegal probably needs to be shut down as well. And while they are at it may as well shut down those US sites that even discuss such dangerous things as guns.

This is a very, very slippery slope. If this passes muster you will see a lot more people, organizations and websites being forced to shut down under the same ruling. We are about to loose a lot of our freedom of speech.

Heck I am suprized someone hasn't applied for a patent after the new ruling that who ever submits it first owns it regardless of who actually designed it.