Murfreesboro DUI Checkpoint Video Making its Way Across the Web

The funny part about this video, is that the driver baited the officer. And the officer took it hook line and sinker. I am not sure if all Police officers are like this one. But I think a lot of law enforcement officers have forgotten what their function in society is.

They are to protect and serve the community. Not oppress the community. I have been stopped in Davidson county before (at a DUI checkpoint). I rolled down my window(not that I was asked to). And the officer asked me how my night was going, I replied that my night had been fair. I asked him how his night was going, he replied it had been a long night.

The officer inquired had I been drinking, I told him I had not. (this was the truth). And that I had just been to the Krystal and picked up some burgers and was heading home. The officer said that he was going to head that way after his shift was over, and he told be to have a good night and be careful. This exchange took 5 minutes,,

Now let’s look at the issues. Yes the drivers rights were violated I am not going to deny that one bit. Now let’s look at the officers point of view. The driver did not want to lower the window all the way.(this would cause suspicion, that the driver is attempting to hide something like the smell of  weed or alcohol). Was the driver legally required to lower the window all the way ?? “NO”. And I do agree that the dog search was a ruse to allow the officers to search the car? “YES”

Now before I make my closing statement I would like to say, that I take my liberty and freedom very seriously and will defend it at all costs, and the driver did an excellent job in demonstrating the blatant violation of his rights.

In closing I would like to say that a little courtesy goes a long way. If the driver had just lowered the window the whole situation could have been avoided. Remember Police Officers are people too. They have professional issues and personal issues. And believe it or not police officers are human.. (yup hard to believe but it is true). Sadly there are some pointy headed cretins’ on the force that have a raging power trip hard on going, and will stop at nothing to get his/her rocks off… Remember don’t poke the bear. (no pun intended)

• Like 3

Also, I wonder what the odds are about a defense attorney being able to use this video as evidence to impinge upon the reliability of a RCSO K9 alert signal when trying suppress evidence that followed on from such an alert? The false positive alert is pretty damn flagrant in this video.

I don't see a big payoff here. Like I said, I hate checkpoints. It's true gestapo shit. An LE using a dope dog for unauthorized searches is just plain wrong. Still, this guy went to a PUBLISHED check point and baited the cops. It's much more likely to turn into a spankin' for the cops that violated procedure.

I want the dope dog searches to get fixed right now. I'm probably not gonna hire Voldemort Jr. and his trusty video camera to get it done.

Cliff's Notes:  Kid goes looking for trouble and finds it.

Civil disobedience

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
"Disobedience" redirects here. For the 2002 film, see Disobedience (film).
200px-Portrait_Gandhi.jpg
magnify-clip.png
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was a figure known worldwide for advocating non-violent civil disobedience.

Civil disobedience is the active, professed refusal to obey certain laws, demands, and commands of a government, or of an occupying international power. Civil disobedience is commonly, though not always,[1][2] defined as being nonviolent resistance. It is one form of civil resistance. In one view (in India, known as ahimsa or satyagraha) it could be said that it is compassion in the form of respectful disagreement

In recent days I feel we have all seen the government implementing a system were by our rights and freedoms as American citizens are being eroded or outright taken away from us. The examples are too many to list here but attacks on gun rights to spying on citizens to targeting citizens for drone attacks are just a few. what we have is a total disconnect between the government and the governed. Those in power no longer govern based on what's best for the American people but rather what will keep and strengthen their own positions in power. The concept of America as a country of united individuals has been replaced by the concept of the have's and have not's.

Throughout history we have seen this pattern repeated over and over both here and abroad. Nearly , if not every social conflict in recent times has involved the government oppression of their own or other people. This is clearly  seen in the civil rights movement of our own country. There was a time that our own government denied basic rights and freedoms to citizens of African decent in this country. We all either remember or have studied the segregation that was the law of the land in the past. Finally one individual decided that enough was enough and decided to challenge the law of segregation. That person was a woman named Rosa Parks. One day Ms. Parks decided she had been subject to an unjust law long enough and decided to challenge the status quote. That decision started a movement that brought equality to a whole class of citizens in this country.

I suppose there is a reason cliff notes are not allowed in most schools today as they never seem to tell the whole story. Would the cliff notes on Rosa Parks says she went looking for trouble. Would the cliff notes on Paul Revere say he went looking for trouble. Perhaps the cliff notes on our founding fathers, those who landed in Normandy on D-day or those in our military serving in distant lands today are looking for trouble. Perhaps a quick read of the cliff notes might allow one to reach this conclusion but when one reads the whole story we might reach a different conclusion. A read of the full story may lead to the conclusion that these people were challenging unjust and oppressive governments and laws. We can all just submit to the commands of government and become their puppets or we, as this young constitutionalist showed, start to challenge these laws and hopefully be part of the process of returning the government to the people. Each one of us must decide our own path in this conflict but we must not allow ourselves to condemn those who decide to be part of the solution.

• Like 8

I'm not aware of that being the case. I was simply pointing out that the refusal to lower the window seemed to trigger an angry attitude from the officer.

When it comes to my constitutional rights, I'm not overly concerned about an officer's emotions. If he can't keep them in check and be respectful of a citizen's rights, then he has no business wearing the uniform. My rights trump his feelings all day long.
  • Like 12

Out of the all the arguing on reddit, this is my favorite quote:

I know not all cops are bad, but some are, and it's impossible to tell which one's going to shoot my dog and which one's gonna wave me on my way.

It's like spiders. They're not all poisonous, but some of them are, so I don't trust any of 'em.

It's unfortunate that things like this happen, but a uniform doesn't mean automatic respect anymore; and the good ol' boys should learn this.  A simple search of youtube can give you a reason not to trust a police officer.  Every cornhole with a cell phone can easily take a video and upload something, if you're a ####ty cop you're going to get caught eventually.  Did the kid go looking for trouble?  Maybe.  But that doesn't excuse the officer's actions, then again not everyone can be like these guys:

http://youtu.be/xq_RvJ7CtOw

http://youtu.be/G1CjZN2H5-8

• Like 3
  • Administrator

Cliff Notes on Thread:

• Kid went looking for trouble and found it.
  • Some people agree with preceding observation.
  • Some people disagree and invoke Ghandi, Rosa Parks, etc.
  • Cops like Krystals just like anyone else.
  • I'm now hungry for Krystals.

Did I miss anything?

• Like 12

Out of the all the arguing on reddit, this is my favorite quote:

It's unfortunate that things like this happen, but a uniform doesn't mean automatic respect anymore; and the good ol' boys should learn this.  A simple search of youtube can give you a reason not to trust a police officer.  Every cornhole with a cell phone can easily take a video and upload something, if you're a ####ty cop you're going to get caught eventually.  Did the kid go looking for trouble?  Maybe.  But that doesn't excuse the officer's actions, then again not everyone can be like these guys:

http://youtu.be/xq_RvJ7CtOw

http://youtu.be/G1CjZN2H5-8

First video in Maine made me spit my drink out. When he tells the guy the fine I just lost it (as did he).  :rofl:

Well the video has made it to LiveLeak, Reddit, 4chan, Facebook, Youtube, and Twitter. Oh and a guy in Australia (of all places) wrote a post on the RCSO's facebook page ripping them a new one that was rather entertaining. 

I like the part where the officer says, "he knows his Constitutional rights".

What's the solution? I can see it both ways myself, law enforcements view and my view to be left alone without probable cause. I think we can agree the less drunk drivers on the road, the more lives saved. I think we can also agree unreasonable search and detainment is unconstitutional and wrong.

Law enforcement budgets are stretched thin and they need to get the maximum bang for the buck, so direct observation of impaired individuals is inefficient. With nothing to hide, and being sober behind the wheel, I take offense being pulled over and searched, quizzed and scrutinized for no reason.

In a perfect world, what's the alternative?

Cliff Notes on Thread:

Did I miss anything?

Depends.

Did you just quickly glance over a single beetle infested tree? or have you been watching the beetle infestation slowly but surely spread across the forest?
  • Like 3

Cliff Notes on Thread:

Did I miss anything?

Yep. Ghandi hated Krystals, and still smelled funny.

I know that this is going to sound "radical" & "extreme" but how about restoring the Constitution as our nation's highest set of laws?

It's really a no-brainer, if agents of the State (LEO/LEA's, NSA, IRS, TSA, DHS, etc) have no RS or PC to believe that a violation of a statute or ordinance has been, is in progress, or is about to be committed, they leave citizens alone.
  • Like 2

I like the part where the officer says, "he knows his Constitutional rights".

What's the solution? I can see it both ways myself, law enforcements view and my view to be left alone without probable cause. I think we can agree the less drunk drivers on the road, the more lives saved. I think we can also agree unreasonable search and detainment is unconstitutional and wrong.

Law enforcement budgets are stretched thin and they need to get the maximum bang for the buck, so direct observation of impaired individuals is inefficient. With nothing to hide, and being sober behind the wheel, I take offense being pulled over and searched, quizzed and scrutinized for no reason.

One more time... I HATE DUI checkpoints. I don't blame the rank and file that have to implement them. It's about basic courtesy to me. Those cops didn't set out to violate anybody's rights. Simple, harmless request met with confrontation. My dad would have slapped the taste out of my mouth for acting that way. Maybe I was just raised to be a sheep.

When it comes to my constitutional rights, I'm not overly concerned about an officer's emotions. If he can't keep them in check and be respectful of a citizen's rights, then he has no business wearing the uniform. My rights trump his feelings all day long.

My concern is I don't want an officer's emotions to thump me over my rights.

Being respectful of an officer usually results in their respecting my rights. Edited by tnhawk

I know that this is going to sound "radical" & "extreme" but how about restoring the Constitution as our nation's highest set of laws?

It's really a no-brainer, if agents of the State (LEO/LEA's, NSA, IRS, TSA, DHS, etc) have no RS or PC to believe that a violation of a statute or ordinance has been, is in progress, or is about to be committed, they leave citizens alone.

If only our Founding Fathers had added a 'non-interpretation clause'.

Cliff Notes on Thread:

Did I miss anything?

I've always thought ordering Krystals was probable cause - drunk or high? Edited by tnhawk
  • Like 2

My concern is I don't want an officer's emotions to thump me over my rights.

Being respectful of an officer usually results in their respecting my rights.

I think it was mainly due to the boy's age. The officer might have acted differently had it been someone more mature.

If only our Founding Fathers had added a 'non-interpretation clause'.

I don't think interpretation is the problem, I think it is the constant, never-ending, widespread, "purposeful" misinterpretation that is the problem.

I think it was mainly due to the boy's age. The officer might have acted differently had it been someone more mature.

I bet he would have acted better if the window was rolled down too.

Disagree with checkpoints or not.  but

after being stopped at a checking

Is asking a person at a check point to roll down the window asking to much?  It does give the appears of something to hide.

I have been though a few checkpoints in my life and before I got to the officer, I already had my window down.

• Like 1