Best (cost effective) hotel to stay two nights in Nashville?

The wife and I and some friends will be taking a motorcycle trip to Nashville on the 31st of August to go to the Opry. I would love to stay at the Opryland Resort but $220 a night is too rich for my blood for a trip like this. Can anyone recommend a good hotel in close proximity to most of the attractions? I have been a few times but am not really familiar with the area.

Closer to downtown. I doubt we will even go to the mall. This trip is all about music and food haha. We went there a few years ago and stayed within walking distance of music row but I can't remember the name of the place. It wasn't the greatest motel in the world either though.

I think any of the holiday inn express, best western, etc. would be fine. I just don't know the neighborhoods mainly. Since we will be on the bikes I don't want to have to worry about vandalism. I'm sure most of the places would be fine but with my luck I'd book us in crack alley.

I would say Hampton Inn on Elliston or West End would be great, . .. but looks like, price-wise, they are going to be $160-$180.

I have family that have stayed at both of those locations repeatedly (they are about 1/2 mile apart) and have had good experiences.  There is some covered parking at the West End location.

FYI, if you'd like to stay at the Opryland Hotel, it can be done for much cheaper.  In June, I used Priceline to score a room for $85.  They still hit you with the BS resort fee and parking, but at least this hotel is an actual RESORT, unlike most of the places that charge that fee.  I scored major points with the wife on that one.  

Well it looks like I might just ought to pony up and stay at the Opryland resort! I can get $180 a night on hotels.com.

Anyone stayed there? Is it worth the money?

We enjoyed our stay there, until they cranked up the floor buffers/cleaners at 6:30 a.m. I'm pretty sure those things we powered by 3000 horsepower diesel engines, running at as many RPMs.
Edited by TripleDigitRide

FYI, if you'd like to stay at the Opryland Hotel, it can be done for much cheaper.  In June, I used Priceline to score a room for $85.  They still hit you with the BS resort fee and parking, but at least this hotel is an actual RESORT, unlike most of the places that charge that fee.  I scored major points with the wife on that one.  

Sweet. I'll get in touch with Shatner and see what he can do.

Well it looks like I might just ought to pony up and stay at the Opryland resort! I can get $180 a night on hotels.com. 

Anyone stayed there? Is it worth the money?

The common areas are amazing.  It has one of the best fitness centers I've seen in a hotel.  Staff always eager to help.  The room I was in was very clean but nothing to write home about.  

I forgot to tell you what to do with Priceline, because you'll have to bid.  Narrow your bidding to Four Star hotels in the Opryland area.  Since the Opryland Hotel is only four star in the area, you know exactly what you're bidding on.  

I'd agree with the bidding for the 4 star near Opryland to get the Opryland Hotel. It's a real resort with indoor gardens, waterfalls, etc. It's worth seeing, especially at night, even if you don't stay there. In fact, it's the only thing in Nashville really worth seeing, unless you're into the music/bar scene. I guess a lot of people disagree, seeing how Nashville is a major destination city.

One problem with the Opryland Hotel is that if you want to do the tourist bar-hopping thing, it's a long way to downtown... several miles.

No matter where you end up staying, you will have to ride to get anywhere.

Oh, yeah, I forgot... the Parthenon in Centennial Park is worth seeing.

I checked on Hotwire, but the prices are still high in the downtown hotels. I guess it's still peak season that weekend.

Edited by jgradyc

Days INN down town is being remodeled.  If you don't mind the dust in the lobby they were near 100 a night.

I stayed there back in April and the rooms where nice.

People checking in at the same time said something about it being all tore around but that information was available on the website and priceline when I booked.  I knew in advance.

http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/tennessee/nashville/days-inn-nashville-downtown-at-the-stadium/hotel-overview?reg=Local-_-all-_-DI-_-all&cid=IP_Local&wid=local

Edited by vontar

I'm a regular in the TripAdvisor Nashville forum and this question comes up quite a bit over there. None of the hotels downtown (west of the river) are dumps. Even the downtown Best Western is clean and neat, but not fancy. Priceline's "downtown" zone includes MetroCenter, so be mindful of that. You're taking a risk that you could end up out there if you use Priceline for a downtown room. Most people that use Priceline seem to get some good rates in the Vanderbilt/WestEnd area. I've seen recent reports of the Courtyard going for about $75, but that will vary by time of year and what events are going on in Nashville. Many of the hotels in the Vandy area have both free parking and free shuttles to downtown. Call a few and ask. With only a couple of exceptions, all of the hotels in the West End/Vandy area are good.

The Opryland Hotel is fun for tourists to walk around the big gardens, but the rooms are bog-standard convention hotel rooms. I personally wouldn't spend more than $100/night for one. If I was looking at a $150+ budget, I'd look at the Hampton Inn downtown and Hotel Indigo on Union. The Holiday Inn Express on Broadway is a good choice too if you can get a good rate. It's about 4 blocks from there to the neon zone that begins at 6th Ave.

Ok. I am changing my strategy here. Best price I can get on the Opry Resort is $126 a night with priceline. We have decided we want to stay in the Opry are rather than downtown. I am still a little skeptical with using priceline as you don't know exactly what room you will be getting. For any other hotels in the area I am just not comfortable booking without seeing so can anyone recommend a cheaper/nice one in the opry area? I will book directly so I know what I am getting.

... can anyone recommend a cheaper/nice one in the opry area? I will book directly so I know what I am getting.

For that immediate area, try either Holiday Inn Express or Hyatt Place. At either location, you will be close to the Opryland Hotel and the Mall.

Sent from my GSIII using TPR 3.17

The wife and I and some friends will be taking a motorcycle trip to Nashville on the 31st of August to go to the Opry. I would love to stay at the Opryland Resort but $220 a night is too rich for my blood for a trip like this. Can anyone recommend a good hotel in close proximity to most of the attractions? I have been a few times but am not really familiar with the area.

It's pricey. But I will say that if you can run to it, it's a nice experience.

I'm kinda partial to Hampton Inns these days. There's one out by the airport and a few others around for sure. They're usually in the $100 range and come with breakfast.