TGO Lowers "what your going to build" "how to build" General discussion thread

Luke E.

x2 what Mike said^ the lines on these uppers and lowers aren't going to lend themselves well to building an A2 rifle. If I was going to build an A2 and had another AR in the safe, I would move the billets over to that rifle and use the forged for the A2 build. Of course that's my opinion and I have nothing concrete to base that on, plus a "retro meets modern" rifle might be cool..

I don't know if you'll be happy with that. It's not going to look true to form with a billet lower. Not that there's anything wrong with retro. I finished an A2 not long ago. No way I would have used a billet lower, even if I had one sitting in the safe.

May I ask why?

I understand it isn't going to be correct, or even look correct, but I like the looks of the triangle handguard, the thin 20" barrel, and the early M16 stock. I don't mind that the carry handle will be detachable.

Are you saying I will have some problems assembling the parts, or that it just won't look correct? Will the stock not fit the receiver correctly for example?

I expected all the AR receivers had the same basic profile except for the flatop versus the non detachable carry handle. Perhaps I need to rethink what I intend to do with this receiver.

Thanks for your help, as my knowledge on these is very limited.

Edited by gregintenn

May I ask why?

I understand it isn't going to be correct, or even look correct, but I like the looks of the triangle handguard, the thin 20" barrel, and the early M16 stock. I don't mind that the carry handle will be detachable.

Are you saying I will have some problems assembling the parts, or that it just won't look correct? Will the stock not fit the receiver correctly for example?

I expected all the AR receivers had the same basic profile except for the flatop versus the non detachable carry handle. Perhaps I need to rethink what I intend to do with this receiver.

Thanks for your help, as my knowledge on these is very limited.

Not only will it not look correct, but it will look weird, like it was just thrown together with whatever parts were available.

In the end, it's your build. Whatever floats your boat.

Not only will it not look correct, but it will look weird, like it was just thrown together with whatever parts were available.

In the end, it's your build. Whatever floats your boat.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer. Could you expound a bit upon what will make it look weird? I apologize, but I just can't picture in my head why it will be so hideous. I'm glad to know this before I purchased a lot of parts and then found this out after attempting to put them together.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer. Could you expound a bit upon what will make it look weird? I apologize, but I just can't picture in my head why it will be so hideous. I'm glad to know this before I purchased a lot of parts and then found this out after attempting to put them together.

Gonna be like putting 2013 quarter panels on a '57 Chevy. It will work just fine. If you're not worried about being period accurate, go for it. A forged lower is 100 bucks and change. You can't go real wrong here

And by the way, since these lowers have no roll pins, moving a parts kit from one to another lower will be a piece of cake. Just hang on to the roll pins and trigger guard after you build it. 

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

If you look at the way the CMT uppers and lowers are designed, you'll notice the lines and angles are sharper and modern looking. The other parts you are thinking about getting are rounded. I'm having a difficult time imagining them meshing together.

If you look at the way the CMT uppers and lowers are designed, you'll notice the lines and angles are sharper and modern looking. The other parts you are thinking about getting are rounded. I'm having a difficult time imagining them meshing together.

If you look at the final numbers, several folks seem to be planning on forged upper receivers. I bought receiver sets. I would be as concerned about clashing finishes as the lines on the upper receiver. You can almost hide that in most cases. Greg's case ain't one of them.

If you look at the final numbers, several folks seem to be planning on forged upper receivers. I bought receiver sets. I would be as concerned about clashing finishes as the lines on the upper receiver. You can almost hide that in most cases. Greg's case ain't one of them.

I agree. The CMT upper was designed to compliment their lower. I was surprised to see so many buying only lowers.
  • Like 1

Thanks guys! I did buy the trifecta of upper, lower, and bolt control group. I guess I need to rethink my build. I'm disappointed, but not nearly as disappointed as I'd have been after buying all that stuff and then finding out it wouldn't look right.

Now what? :shrug:  :D

I agree. The CMT upper was designed to compliment their lower. I was surprised to see so many buying only lowers.

This is why I was so adamant originally to make sure the upper was a billet as well. I didn't want to mix it, wouldn't look right.

Thanks guys! I did buy the trifecta of upper, lower, and bolt control group. I guess I need to rethink my build. I'm disappointed, but not nearly as disappointed as I'd have been after buying all that stuff and then finding out it wouldn't look right.

Now what? :shrug:  :D

If you're gonna do a retro (not with these receivers), look at the A2. You can still get all new parts. AFIK, you can't get new triangular handguards. They're all milsurp

Now what? :shrug: :D

Find someone who's good with Photoshop and have the put you one together.

well, I think I'm on the 6.5 Grendel bandwagon again.. It's what I really want to build, so I'm just gonna go for it.. :up:

Yep, me too.  Just has too many advantages not to go for it.  My 1st choice is a 6.5 side charger but I cannot find the web page to see the details.  Looking at that first page, you'd think Alexander Arms had that option available but all I could find is the standard flattop slingshot charger.  Maybe just me but I think the side charger would look great on top of our TGO lower.

The CMT lower I have now doesn't make my Rock 458 look bad.  Just a bit of color difference but for the most part the billet cut lines and the forging curves do not conflict with each other.  Maybe I just don't see an ugly baby.  Check it out...

CMTandRRA458withLeupold2-7.jpg

Edited by SmokyBaer
  • Like 1

Yep, me too. Just has too many advantages not to go for it. My 1st choice is a 6.5 side charger but I cannot find the web page to see the details. Looking at that first page, you'd think Alexander Arms had that option available but all I could find is the standard flattop slingshot charger. Maybe just me but I think the side charger would look great on top of our TGO lower.

The CMT lower I have now doesn't make my Rock 458 look bad. Just a bit of color difference but for the most part the billet cut lines and the forging curves do not conflict with each other. Maybe I just don't see an ugly baby. Check it out...

CMTandRRA458withLeupold2-7.jpg

To me it would be the upper that would cause the most weirdness when sandwiched between a slew of retro M16 parts. Every billet upper I've seen is thicker in strategic areas in order to stiffen it up.

To me it would be the upper that would cause the most weirdness when sandwiched between a slew of retro M16 parts. Every billet upper I've seen is thicker in strategic areas in order to stiffen it up.

•  

I'd be forever grateful if anyone would be willing to create a photoshop rendering of the TGO receivers used in M16 or even A2 20" form. :x: