TGO Lowers "what your going to build" "how to build" General discussion thread

Luke E.

OK, help an AR noob out here...

So, as previously stated, I ordered the hat-trick. I am able to start acquiring the other pieces. From what I can tell, the next things to acquire are an armorer's wrench then possibly some pin-punches, the lower kit then the upper kit. Does that sound right?

I *think* I'll probably be going 5.56 (unless someone can tell me better) so I should start acquiring ammo as and when available and look out for deals on magazines.

I have a 2-ton press. Can that be used for many/most/all of the pins?

Thanks

Sounds right. You will need an upper vise block, and possibly a lower vise block (I used an old steel magazine)

I'd stick with 556 if it's your first AR.

The 2 ton vise will be just fine. Only need 40-50lbs torque on barrel nut (assuming gas tub hole lines up)

Magazines are pretty plentiful right now. I like ordering from Joeboboutfitters.com you can get your LPK, Upper parts, and mags. Over $90 and it's free shipping. I'd get 5 a Magpul mags, if not you'll wish you had more
  • Like 1

I just love seeing a bunch of new AR's being born. Brings a tear to my eye :)

To your eye? I can't wait to see them all after they are done. Unfortunately lief got in the way for me and I did not order a lower. I did pick up a BCG because they are the best I have seen at pretty much any price.

Boy... that would suck. May have to use the takedown pin style.

That would be the one that works. It is the type I have used and even when I am pretty much hanging from the wrench they hold fine. I think I am going to order a new wrench or two for the east Tennessee build party.

If I thought it'd help, I'd do it....naked even :D

Naked hell, if I thought it would help I would check all applicants for hernias.

That would be the one that works. It is the type I have used and even when I am pretty much hanging from the wrench they hold fine. I think I am going to order a new wrench or two for the east Tennessee build party.

I used one to help Deuce install a free float on his AR-10. It held fine. That one was kind of an eye popper too, as I recall. I've always used the clam shell type. I may get one of the others, just because the clam shell tends to mar the finish a little.

OK... panic's over. Time to order some stuff :)

35 bucks at JSE surplus

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

OK, help an AR noob out here...

So, as previously stated, I ordered the hat-trick. I am able to start acquiring the other pieces. From what I can tell, the next things to acquire are an armorer's wrench then possibly some pin-punches, the lower kit then the upper kit. Does that sound right?

I *think* I'll probably be going 5.56 (unless someone can tell me better) so I should start acquiring ammo as and when available and look out for deals on magazines.

I have a 2-ton press. Can that be used for many/most/all of the pins?

Thanks

Just noticed something, You say you have a 2 ton PRESS... I'd leave the press out of the equation, the pins on any lower require nothing more than light taps with a small hammer but the way I understand it, these don't use the pins (at least not the bolt catch pin).

If you meant 2 ton VISE then I apologize. 

Guest Lester Weevils

No roll pins in the lower, but there's still one in the upper for the forward assist. There's also the gas tube roll pin. The best way to put them in is with a roll pin starter punch and a roll pin punch. Both of those tools are worth their weight in gold.

I have a set of steel punches with little spring loaded ball bearings at the tip. Is that the kind you speak of?

I have a set of steel punches with little spring loaded ball bearings at the tip. Is that the kind you speak of?

No. Roll pin punches have a little tit that keeps them from slipping off the pin. The starter punches have a hole, so the pin can be held in line with the force of the hammer blow. I bought the roll pin punches after my first lower build (I think). 

The starters are GREAT. You can start a pin in 1 or 2 taps. I bought those when I started my last build, and then kicked myself for not buying them when I bought the roll pin punches. There's just nothing better than the right tools.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lyman-Roll-Pin-Punch-Set/1535073.uts?productVariantId=3365177&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03606699&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=8ABC2E4F-655B-E211-BA78-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=34214267951&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=58018411271&gclid=CNCUz7SisroCFURp7AodnlwAXw

http://www.amazon.com/Ar15-Roll-Pin-Starter-Punch/dp/B0083UUOOG

Edited by mikegideon

The starters you posted are better than the ones I posted. 

Maybe.They don't require a lot of force. I can see the two piece lasting forever without mushrooming.

Something else... you need a BRASS hammer. A Stanley framing hammer ain't the right tool either.

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks for the info about the punches and starters. I need to look at my steel punches again. I thought I recalled the little "tits" on the tip were spring-loaded, but maybe they are just molded in.

I have a small lyman brass/nylon hammer that is neat, and a slightly bigger brass hammer, and one that looks like TDR's, that has rubber, hard plastic, copper and brass screw-on tips. Ought to one day get a brass sledgehammer for those stubborn jobs. :)

The little lyman hammer, I've nicked it up so much, have twice had to chuck the tips in the minilathe to take off the mushroom and smooth the face. One of these days have to make new tips I guess. Either that or buy another one for $12 or whatever they cost...