TGO Lowers "what your going to build" "how to build" General discussion thread

Luke E.

I have a friend who wants to go in on two with me. He is a member but only gets on here for info. If I purchase both will he still be safe building his into a pistol? Or should he pick it up from FFL so he is original owner? He want to make sure he is safe making it a pistol.

Soome reason he didn't step up to get in on the deal himself?

I have a friend who wants to go in on two with me. He is a member but only gets on here for info. If I purchase both will he still be safe building his into a pistol? Or should he pick it up from FFL so he is original owner? He want to make sure he is safe making it a pistol.

There is no federal or TN law prohibiting selling or gifting a firearm to a same state resident who is not legally prohibited from owning firearms by federal or state law. As long as the lower has not been first made into a rifle, the new owner may make it into a pistol.

You are still legit in checking yes on question 11a on 4473 (are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm?) but technically only as long as you used your own money to buy it, and wasn't given the money beforehand by the other person.

(Yes, I know that's a fine distinction, but that is the explanation given on 4473 directions for 11a).

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I will make this offer. If anyone needs help in the Knoxville area ask.

If someone wants to host I will bring my tools for all to use, just make sure the person hosting has a vice to assemble the upper. Beyond that everything else is pretty easy once you seen it done once.

You're due for a Nashville getaway, aren't you?  :cool:

• Like 1

Well, I guess you can add my name to the list of those that will possibly build a 300 blackout now. I was going to purchase just the lower and my awesome wife says " Why don't you just go ahead and get the other two items? You know you want those too and it'll look better that way." Now that's a great wife! I'm not completely dicided on the 300 blackout, but it's leading the way. It's really the only one I've had a chance to read about so far. I'm ignorant when it comes to the others such as 6.5 Grendel, 6.8, 458, and so forth.

Was thinking seriously about 6.5 Grendel, but now I'm going with 300 Blackout instead..

I'm in the opposite boat. I've been wanting to build a 300BLK pistol for months but spent the day, today researching 6.5G and now I just don't know what to do! :)

I may just sit on the upper for a while and buy a complete barreled assembly to shoot for a while.
  • Admin Team
300BLK and 6.5 Grendel are really on the opposite ends of the spectrum as far as use cases go. I'm seeing comments like the above a lot.

You might think some about what you really want to do with the rifle and let that guide your thinking some. 300BLK is a good defensive caliber and enough for almost any game you'd want to hunt in TN, but it's not going to win any awards for distance. 6.5 Grendel will be great for putting holes in paper at range, but is a pretty expensive option for that whitetail.
  • Like 3

300BLK and 6.5 Grendel are really on the opposite ends of the spectrum as far as use cases go. I'm seeing comments like the above a lot.

You might think some about what you really want to do with the rifle and let that guide your thinking some. 300BLK is a good defensive caliber and enough for almost any game you'd want to hunt in TN, but it's not going to win any awards for distance. 6.5 Grendel will be great for putting holes in paper at range, but is a pretty expensive option for that whitetail.

I think Mark may just be trying to keep the money sane. The Grendel is gonna be expensive if done right. Barrel, furniture, and glass are all gonna be spendy. Then there's the reloading gear to build the ammo right. I have all that stuff except for dies. He has shot my 300. 

I understand the differences in each caliber. For me, it's about what is going to wear the TGO upper. I'll have three lowers to build out, once the TGO receivers are delivered. Only one will have the TGO logo and only that one will be a "premium" build, where I'm willing to get fancy with my shopping list.

Luckily, I don't have to make a quick decision. Learning about the process is almost as fun as having the rifles complete...

Well, I guess you can add my name to the list of those that will possibly build a 300 blackout now. I was going to purchase just the lower and my awesome wife says " Why don't you just go ahead and get the other two items? You know you want those too and it'll look better that way." Now that's a great wife! I'm not completely dicided on the 300 blackout, but it's leading the way. It's really the only one I've had a chance to read about so far. I'm ignorant when it comes to the others such as 6.5 Grendel, 6.8, 458, and so forth.

Sounds like you did well for yourself!

Yep, this build is getting expensive, and I haven't even gotten to the upper half yet.

I've not spent any money yet (other than receivers) but due to me dislocating my shoulder last night, I've had plenty of web surfing time today and I can tell that my Grendel plan is going to be expensive! 

Edited by Luke E.

I've not spent any money yet (other than receivers) but due to me dislocating my shoulder last night, I've had plenty of web surfing time today and I can tell that my Grendel plan is going to be expensive! 

IF you can find what you want

IF you can find what you want

Exactly! I think if someone just settled for whatever they could find it could be done in a decent amount of time. I have a specific end result that I am shooting for and that applies to look, distance and quality so i'm not going to be doing any settling on this one. I have already come to grips with the fact that it's going to be a while so hopefully I won't get to antsy.. :waiting:

I'm in no hurry to build mine. In going to continue to do more research and try to definitely choose a caliber. Then, I'll start trying to figure out how I want to build it.

I think your going about it the right way. Not much worse than spending a bunch of money and realizing that your caliber or configuration isn't what you really wanted.  

THAT'S the hard part... :drool:

'm not real good at it but hey, I gotta at least start that way or I may explode before it's all said and done! 

• Like 1