TGO Lowers "what your going to build" "how to build" General discussion thread

Luke E.

Been really bouncing the end of the internet and back deciding the mainstream question... 6.5 Grendel versus the 6.8 SPC.  Can quickly determine the Grendel won't be a cheap date.  The 6.8 cost about the same as .308 for the most part and complete uppers are just about everywhere.  For a 300 yard hunter, both serve well so at this point, when it gets closer to crunch time, it may be a flip of the coin.

Okay, can we stop posting about the TGO Lowers? I got an PSA MOE Kit on order and definitely don't need anymore ideas..  :surrender:

Don't feel bad. I had to stop buying parts for it. I have a part or two scheduled to show up today or tomorrow, then maybe a couple next week. With the exception of the Noveske KX3, I'm still on the lower half.

Wait...I hear the mailman!  :leaving: 

BTW, I have 2 ARs already, so adding two more will just put the icing on the cake.. Now come on December!!!

Okay, since we are the topic do we need to notify the dealer that will handle our orders or they will know? D&T is who I picked.. 

Edited by Joseg

BTW, I have 2 ARs already, so adding two more will just put the icing on the cake.. Now come on December!!!

Okay, since we are the topic do we need to notify the dealer that will handle our orders or they will know? D&T is who I picked.. 

I'm going to send David a PM when they start shipping. I always notify him, even though he'll know the deal when he sees my name on the order. He knows how to get in touch with me.

• Like 1

Been really bouncing the end of the internet and back deciding the mainstream question... 6.5 Grendel versus the 6.8 SPC.  Can quickly determine the Grendel won't be a cheap date.  The 6.8 cost about the same as .308 for the most part and complete uppers are just about everywhere.  For a 300 yard hunter, both serve well so at this point, when it gets closer to crunch time, it may be a flip of the coin.

Smokey, I did a 6.8 years ago when they were the new "hot" AR thing.  Didn't see enough performance over the 5.56 to want to keep it when I had a 458 Socom sitting next to it in the safe.  I decided to go 6.5 on this one, and YES, its going to be a bit more to build, but the performance and range on this over 5.56 were enough to ensure I won't see that remorse this time.

Getting the high end CMT upper/lower set just made me want to get the rest as high end stuff as well.  I started a thread today looking for other 6.5 owners to post up their sources for parts.  I'm seeing ammo in quite a few places and since I reload, I'll just buy components to keep going.

• Like 2

Smokey, I did a 6.8 years ago when they were the new "hot" AR thing.  Didn't see enough performance over the 5.56 to want to keep it when I had a 458 Socom sitting next to it in the safe.  I decided to go 6.5 on this one, and YES, its going to be a bit more to build, but the performance and range on this over 5.56 were enough to ensure I won't see that remorse this time.

Getting the high end CMT upper/lower set just made me want to get the rest as high end stuff as well.  I started a thread today looking for other 6.5 owners to post up their sources for parts.  I'm seeing ammo in quite a few places and since I reload, I'll just buy components to keep going.

BTW... I think I may go with that barrel you found, unless availability changes before I get ready to order.

Edited by mikegideon

These lowers require no punches. The only pin that is in the lower is the bolt release and it is threaded. It is not driven in place but screws in place.

The only pin in the upper is the forward assist and ANY punch will work for that.

Yep. I used any punches on my first lower. :) You're right. Only 2 roll pins on the whole rifle. None if you're buying an assembled upper.

Gas tube has a roll pin.

That would be the second one. There's a roll pin in the forward assist assembly as well, but they usually come assembled. Same deal with the ejector roll pin in the bolt. I was only counting the ones you have to put in.

Edited by mikegideon

But the barrel is too long.  ;) 

Not for supersonic , although with a carbine length gas tube which it has it could be used for both. Don't really plan on a suppressor for it , have one for my 5.56's.

Heavy loads like the 220gr. sub will run fine if a suppressor is installed.

Not to mention 120'ish gr. sells for about $13 a box , 220'ish gr. is $24 a box. Unless you reload , buy sub pay dub.  :P

Edited by Threeeighty

Was your stuff recovered in the big theft ring bust in Rutherford County?

http://www.wsmv.com/story/23772649/largest-theft-ring-to-date-busted-in-rutherford-county

I'm not sure. I just got home about 1 1/2hrs ago (been longs days all week)  But I just sent a message to a deputy friend of mine to see what I need to do to get a look at it all to determine if any of it belongs to me. I'm not getting my hopes up but Cranor Road is only about 3 miles from my house so hopefully he'll get back to me with good news.... we shall see..

• Like 1

..... Getting the high end CMT upper/lower set just made me want to get the rest as high end stuff as well.  ....

VERY true!   My 458 is awesome and has all the power a fella would want for inside 150 which about where the 300 BO drops below 1000 lbs.   The 6.5 does keep on walking.  RW, thanks for setting me straight.  I am way to guilty of overthinking this fun toy.