Need Opinions on New Tires for my Truck, please

Guest Bassman17SC

Guest TresOsos

I've driven nothing but trucks since 1986, tried a lot of different tires foreign and domestic.

I won't buy anything but Michelins, they may cost more but they are worth the extra coin.

I just put KYB shocks on and so far I'm hating them. I researched quite a bit before buying and these seemed like the best for the price (couldn't justify the price for Bilsteins) but they are super stiff. I got the Gas-aJust model, hope they break in and soften out some.

I like the stiffer ride,I have the MONOMAX which are even stiffer than GasAdjust ...to each his own but they will not soften up 

I get off pavement enough that I wanted a little more meat, so I went with the BFG All Terrain TA/KO and this is the second set I have owned. They last a long time for the type tire they are. To me, they are loud. Lots of folks say they aren't but they are on my truck. I can hear my wife coming 1/2 mile off.

I had a set of the Mich. LTX on a Chevy and they were great tires. I would say get them if you are mostly on road.

Yup.
Michelin xza2 I got 78 k out of the last set at 34 lbs rotated every 5k on my Heavy ass SUV.
The last 7 sets have yet to fail me w Ll the abuse they get. I used to like Goodyear till they stopped backing their tires w their same old "you ran it w no air" excuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

I use my truck fairly often around the farm and such, so I wanted a tire that was a little beefier and had more bite than the typical LT tire.  The last tires I bought were a set of General Grabber AT2.  When these wear out, I will buy another set without question.  These tires have worn longer and more even than any tire I've ever had.  They have great traction offroad and are well behaved on road.  I do not remember the exact cost, but I know they were reasonable from Wal-Mart.  I know a bunch of people hate on wal-mart, but since I've had these tires, I have lived in about 5 different states for 1-6 months at a time.  It was nice to go to any store and get them rotated and balanced for free.  At this time, they have about 60K miles on them, and I suspect I'll get another 10-15K out of them. 

I put Michelin M/S 2's on my Titan in April and they have been great. I got mine at Costco for just over $1000 ( around $1015 to be exact) out the door. I should add, that included new tpms stems as well. It was the best otd price I could find anywhere. They did have to order my size though. Edited by Hozzie

I like the stiffer ride,I have the MONOMAX which are even stiffer than GasAdjust ...to each his own but they will not soften up

I may have to recant my comment...discovered yesterday I threw a wheel weight, so got the tires rebalanced and the ride this morning was amazing. The shocks are stiff but it is not an uncomfortable ride like it was.

Yeah, Mich LTX all the way. This is coming from someone who works in the auto parts biz FYI. ;)  If you need some pricing shoot me a pm with specs and I can see if we can't get some special pricing. Also steer clear of Goodyears as we have more people report problems with them then any I've seen, we have better luck out of Uniroyals, than those things, lol.

Edited by whitewolf001

+1 Michelin LTX M/S. Best light truck & suv tire I have seen. I have used them on several vehicles over the years and have always gotten good wear and a lot of miles out of them. BFG, Toyo, Yokohama, & Firestone are all good 2nd choices, I hear good things bout Hankook & Kumho as well, but I would say the Michelin is the top of the line for sure. I am not sold on all Michelin products but this tire has proven itself for me many times. Another good tire you may not heard of is Sumitomo, never run them on anything but big trucks but their quality was excellent in that application. -1 for Goodyear, I don't have good luck with them at all.

I deal with Best One Tire in Knoxville, I am sure they have locations out your way, always treated us right.

Guest Lester Weevils
A question-- Can't recall the exact years without looking at the manual again, but the wrangler manual said you ought to replace tires after some small number of years regardless of tread wear, because of the risk of rubber rot making the tires unsafe.

I've seen that happen in dad's RV he gave me. Only about 12,000 miles, but one of the 10 year old rear tires shredded just driving across town, though the tires look new.

So assuming that new-looking tires might need routine replacement-- My wrangler is nearly 3 years old and has about 8000 miles. So maybe the tires will need replacement "just because" before the tires even see 15,000 miles or whatever?

So what would one look for in that case, to get a good quality tire that doesn't have functional issues, but even a 60,000 mile tire, much less a 100,000 mile tire would be crazy overkill?

A question-- Can't recall the exact years without looking at the manual again, but the wrangler manual said you ought to replace tires after some small number of years regardless of tread wear, because of the risk of rubber rot making the tires unsafe.

I've seen that happen in dad's RV he gave me. Only about 12,000 miles, but one of the 10 year old rear tires shredded just driving across town, though the tires look new.

So assuming that new-looking tires might need routine replacement-- My wrangler is nearly 3 years old and has about 8000 miles. So maybe the tires will need replacement "just because" before the tires even see 15,000 miles or whatever?

So what would one look for in that case, to get a good quality tire that doesn't have functional issues, but even a 60,000 mile tire, much less a 100,000 mile tire would be crazy overkill?

Lester,

I would say you should be fine up to 10 years, maybe more if you keep it in the garage or some way to keep it out of the sun. I think the uv from the sun is what deteriorates the rubber more than anything. Each tire has a date code in the long DOT# on the sidewall of the tire. Last 4 #'s are the date. Example 3608 would be the 36th week of 2008. Before 2000 had 3 digit code, example 368 would be 36th week of 1998. Check your date codes and you will know when the tire was actually manufactured.

On a vehicle like this I usually go with a cheaper tire since you will replace it before it actually wears out strictly due to age so you don't care if it will wear for a long mileage. I have a set of Winston Winner M/S, no name cheapo tire, on the '79 F150 that we put on it in 2005. They are doing great and have no signs of dry rot. We drive the truck almost daily right now but just not a lot of miles, short distance trips.

Hope that helps you out.

Edited by McGarrett

What he said.... if it's kept in the garage, the tires will last much longer.  Using stuff like Armor All protectant will also help prevent the sun's UV radiation from breaking down the rubber. 

When they start to develop surface cracks and dry rot, its time to think about replacement them regardless of tread wear.  I'm in the market for some new trailer tires for that exact reason. 

I finally just wore out a set of Michelin LTX/MS tires on my 02 F250 7.3 Diesel Crew cab and got a little over 130K out of them, and I had some bad ball joints for a little of the time until I could get them changed.  Went to Maggart Tire in Cookeville and got another set of them and they were the cheapest out of all the places I checked but I didn't check Discount Tire.  Maggart Tire is one of those old family tire store places.

Edited by hardknox00001