So i'm shaving my head tonight....

NoBanStan

My coworker has Hodgkin's lymphoma and is currently undergoing radiation and kemo. Real standup guy who still shows up to work every day despite the nausea and weakness. He typically doesn't stay but he's determined to carry on as normal so I salute him for that. Last night he shaved his head because it's falling out and I could tell today that he really felt out of place.

So it's not an original idea by any means, but I've gotten together with the other guys on the team and we're going to walk in together tomorrow morning sporting the chrome domes.

That being said, any advice on skull shaving for a first timer? :D

• Like 11

I had to shave my head clean daily for months during a training program once.  Just start with a good sharp blade and go with the grain.  I suggest doing it in a hot shower and make sure you hair is trimmed close before you start. Afterward I would feel around or look around your head with some mirrors to see if you missed any areas.  You probably will till you get the hang of it.

I have tried the 'head blade' and other head shaving gimmicks, in the end I stuck with my traditional razor, regular shave gel, hot water, and lotion.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Get your hair buzzed first down with electric clippers as close to the scalp as possible. 

Take a hot shower.

After the shower shave your head using a new razor the same as you would your face.

Apply some after-shave conditioner.

Edited by DMark
  • Like 1
Good on you Stan, its one little move on y'all's part that will mean a ton to your buddy, likely too much for words.

As a former head shaver (ironic if you look at me now) I can actually give some advice I wish someone had given me sooner.

Don't use shave gel/cream on your noggin. Shampoo or conditioner is by far and above much better choices.

Get it all cropped close, rub some shampoo across and into the stubble and it will come off much easier. Don't forget to clean your blades about twice as much as you would when you shave your face.

Don't use an alcohol based after shave up there (or if you live for new experiences, then by all means do)

Have your wife buy a silk pillow cover and pop it in the fridge until just after your all clean shaven, then go lay down with your head on it, feels really, really wierd. I e never refrigerated one, and I'm not shaving the head anymore but I'll tell ya, its just wierd.

I had to shave my head clean daily for months during a training program once.  Just start with a good sharp blade and go with the grain.  I suggest doing it in a hot shower and make sure you hair is trimmed close before you start. Afterward I would feel around or look around your head with some mirrors to see if you missed any areas.  You probably will till you get the hang of it.

I have tried the 'head blade' and other head shaving gimmicks, in the end I stuck with my traditional razor, regular shave gel, hot water, and lotion.

Good luck!

First off, Your friend is in my prayers. I've been there. Twice, in fact. It's not an experience I'd wish on anyone.

But as far as shaving your head. You are a great friend to help him feel a little less uncomfortable.

Tncitizen22 has told pretty much what I did.

If you have clippers, even dog clippers, cut as close as you can with them. Wet your scalp with hot water and lather away. I used a triple blade safety razor on mine and it works pretty well. Just don't get in a hurry. Use smooth strokes and keep your skin wet. Don't use a lot of pressure and you shouldn't cut yourself. Repeat. Don't get in a hurry.

I think I took about 30-45 minutes the first time. Of course a lot of that was me looking in the mirrors. Which, btw, is pretty easy if you got a hand mirror and just hold it in front of your face, back to the other mirror and shave just like your face.

After you do it a couple of times, it's real easy.

And you do get used to it. Sometimes it's pretty comfortable.

But again, you guys are great.

Some advice, if I may.

Don't push him to talk about it unless he wants. Don't be offended if he doesn't want or ask for a lot of help. By all means offer, but don't push. Support all you can. That goes for his wife and family as well.

It's a terrible, trying, and sometimes very personal experience. I know that sounds strange, but believe me, sometimes alone and quiet is necessary and best.

And not trying to horn if, but if you'd like to offer me as a talking source, I'd be available for him.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the tips guys, not just about shaving my dome, but also on addressing his illness. 

He's actually a very open guy. He took on the mindset early that it's not going to defeat him and he freely chats with anyone who asks him. We keep it minimal though, outside of being supportive and telling him we've got his back we don't chat about it.

So as an update, I currently only have stubble. Just waiting on the wife's reaction before I go full blown Hesienberg

Walter+White.jpg

For the record, ole Walt's got a few years on me :D

• Like 1

One bit of advice. Tie your hands down. I couldn't stop rubbing my head. Seemed like every couple of minutes, I'd catch myself just running my hand over the top of my head. Don't really know why, it just seemed to feel good.

And, as we old codgers head into the sunset, the hairless heads are a lot easier to manage.

Just gotta watch out for the sunburns, 

I shaved my head for several years. The key seeed to be the hot shower. I liked the headblade for speed but really enjoyed a straight razor. I had practice with a straight razor, y Grandfather taught e how to shave with a straight razor, so I would not suggest going with a straight razor unless you already know how to do it.

Soething we did for a friend that needed to shave his head from cancer was get a couple of guys and wee all went out to a barber shop that shaves with a straight razor and all got a good shave. It was a great tie for all, our friend liked the fact that it felt just like a bunch of guys going out to get a good shave. He said he felt more noral that day then he had felt in a long time.

The wife declared me as "bald enough" gentlemen. Now, to see the look on my buddy's face tomorrow. Will re-post with a reaction tomorrow.

Looking forward to your report. In the mean time and in the interest of solidarity, I'll continue to grow mine out. Lest you think I'm being a smart ass, let me explain:

For many years in Western Kansas in my spare time I portrayed the part of a civilian scout/Western mountain man attached variously to Fort Hays, Fort Larned, Fort Dodge and Fort Wallace, Ks. And for many years I let my hair grow long because it fit the part. Three years ago I finally had it cut and donated a 17inch, fairly thick braid to Locks of Love. I kept my hair short for a year then started growing it out again two years ago. My hair is thick and grows fast and already reaches nearly to my shoulder blades. I figure in another two years or so I'll have another 17 inch (or longer) braid to once again donate to Locks of Love.

I'll never shave my head - hell, I don't even like shaving my face - but if I can donate some extra to help a little girl who has none or a young lady who simply doesn't want to wear a skull cap to her Senior prom, then maybe I'm helping a little, too.

Kudos to you, Sir, and best of the best to your Co-worker.

:hat:

...TS...

• Like 1

Looking forward to your report. In the mean time and in the interest of solidarity, I'll continue to grow mine out. Lest you think I'm being a smart ass, let me explain:

For many years in Western Kansas in my spare time I portrayed the part of a civilian scout/Western mountain man attached variously to Fort Hays, Fort Larned, Fort Dodge and Fort Wallace, Ks. And for many years I let my hair grow long because it fit the part. Three years ago I finally had it cut and donated a 17inch, fairly thick braid to Locks of Love. I kept my hair short for a year then started growing it out again two years ago. My hair is thick and grows fast and already reaches nearly to my shoulder blades. I figure in another two years or so I'll have another 17 inch (or longer) braid to once again donate to Locks of Love.

I'll never shave my head - hell, I don't even like shaving my face - but if I can donate some extra to help a little girl who has none or a young lady who simply doesn't want to wear a skull cap to her Senior prom, then maybe I'm helping a little, too.

Kudos to you, Sir, and best of the best to your Co-worker.

:hat:

...TS...

Very cool. I was a long hair in my teen years but dropped down to a high and tight one day and never looked back. Now, if its near my eyebrows....its gotta go!
I shaved my head in the military because it was fast and easy. I used head blades, they just were quicker. I always used baby oil instead of shaving cream and went against the grain for the cleanest look.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Very cool. I was a long hair in my teen years but dropped down to a high and tight one day and never looked back. Now, if its near my eyebrows....its gotta go!

Funny how life works - I was high & tight in my teens through mid-30's, but started letting it grow when I started doing a bunch of living history. I still keep it swept back out of my eyes and wear a head band on the rare occasion when I'm not wearing a hat.

So we got together en masse today and our friend got a real kick out of it. He's been cheerful all day. So mission accomplished.

Plenty of queball jokes to go around. We've also decided to call ourselves legion and only speak as a collective. "We would be happy to assist you."
  • Like 3

Very caring thoughts for sure. I salute you and all of your friends for this action. I use to shave my head all the time till I got much older. My first shave was done at a barber shop and done with a barber and straight razor. Once it was done it was really easy to maintain. I learned it's a lot easier to wash your face than wash your hair in the shower. Plus no shampoo cost for a long time......Prayers going out for your friend and also for you guys stepping up to the plate him to show your support.