Four Classic 22 rifles

DAdams

Four Classic 22 Rifles
I bought these four 22 rifles last week.

image_zps309a963d.jpg

Remington Matchmaster 513-T Lyman sights. Built 1940-68. I think this is a 1941.

Marlin 39A

Remington Model 24 22short Semiauto. Lyman sights. Breaks down with no tools in seconds. 1922-35.
Tube comes out of stock.

Stevens Little Scout Model 14 1/2. Single shot LR, rolling breech lock. 1909-1936.

image_zps5b22f149.jpg
This semiauto 24 with easy break down is really a cool John Browning design. About 75 years old.

image_zps40c6bdc6.jpg
Lyman sight on The Matchmaker. Calibrated to 200 yards. Very heavy target rifle in VG condition.

These haven't been fired in years but are in good to very good condition. I have been having fun taking them down, learning about the respective mechanisms, and cleaning them up. Bores are all good to excellent.

image_zps8a94f932.jpg

I think the resale value is easily double to triple based on my research.

Edited by DAdams
  • Like 3
You got hosed. I'll be a nice guy and give you $250.00 for the lot.

But seriously, great score. I never do seem to find deals quite as good as this. Assuming you had none before, in one swoop you've acquired an enviable rimfire collection.

I'm very jealous right now.
  • Like 1
I currently have two .22s. A Ruger 10/22 and a Marlin bolt action single shot I had growing up.
This was probably a once in a lifetime event.

Each case I opened brought more concealed excitement.
When I hit the 39A in excellent condition and then the Matchmaker I knew I had Shafts Big Score. Edited by DAdams

That's what I call "grand theft rifle"!!!  What a score...the private seller was either clueless or a relative/friend giving you a sweetheart deal.

Clueless. Wasn't computer literate so no research done. Apparently no kids or grand kids.
I ran a classified ad in my local hood, thinking there were enough retirees who might have guns they wanted out of the house or cash, with no heirs.

I have a few more to pursue, mostly revolvers, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC, a Single Six, and a S&W 44 6.5 scoped.

Anyone interested in a Thompson Center .50 white Mountain Carbine with a scope?

Taurus model 80 as new (Smith Model 10 copy).
Alfa 32-30.

One side of me is happy for you, but the other side is sad for the seller.

The seller didn't know what he had, didn't want to take the time to find out and said his kids didn't want them.
He lives in a million dollar house on a lake. I'm going to make sure they have a good home for another 50 years. I'll shoot them and keep them in tip top condition.
Interesting that the fellow only shot the Scout. The other three were given to him by his Dad who wasn't into guns according to the seller. Edited by DAdams
I've got a simple principal I like to follow in these situations. It's not my job/responsibility/duty to make sure every person knows exact value for an item they are selling. Now I won't try to BS or talk down a seller to a price that is under value. In fact I'll even tell them that with time and effort they could likely get more, but I'm paying cash today, no effort.

In my experience most people who won't even take the time to find a value for their items don't like the sound of time and effort. They'll take the easy cash.

I say as long as you weren't being flat out dishonest you've got no issues grabbing some desirable pieces at a fantastic price.

IMHO.
  • Like 3
[quote name="DAdams" post="1049155" timestamp="1381892520"] The seller didn't know what he had, didn't want to take the time to find out and said his kids didn't want them. He lives in a million dollar house on a lake. I'm going to make sure they have a good home for another 50 years. I'll shoot them and keep them in tip top condition. Interesting that the fellow only shot the Scout. The other three were given to him by his Dad who wasn't into guns according to the seller.[/quote] If that's the case, screw, em. :lol: In all seriousness, I'm not condemning you for the score. I sometimes forget there are people who don't feel the same way many of us do about it guns and their history. Edited by TripleDigitRide

I've got a simple principal I like to follow in these situations. It's not my job/responsibility/duty to make sure every person knows exact value for an item they are selling. Now I won't try to BS or talk down a seller to a price that is under value. In fact I'll even tell them that with time and effort they could likely get more, but I'm paying cash today, no effort.

In my experience most people who won't even take the time to find a value for their items don't like the sound of time and effort. They'll take the easy cash.

I say as long as you weren't being flat out dishonest you've got no issues grabbing some desirable pieces at a fantastic price.

IMHO.

I subscribe to this theory as well. If the seller is happy with the price, then congratulations. Those are definitely four classic, high quality, tack driving rimfires.

I posted this on two other forums. I have never come across anything like this before. Up until a week ago I never knew any of these existed. I am not a gunsmith or a dealer.
My intention wasn't to look at these, shoot them and offer a "market" price because I won't know the market value is until I sell them. Today they are worth only what someone is willing to pay.
Tomorrow if the US Federal Government passes the UN Small Arms Treaty and all these become illegal the value may go to zero.
Then the seller came out very well.

My point? In the future I am going to post pictures of my firearms but I will not post the price. Let us focus on the wood and steel.

I'm disappointed that there those in the firearms community who turn a sharing event into a moral passing of judgement regarding my integrity.

Here are a couple more pics in better light and cleaned up.

image_zpsc84dcd81.jpg

image_zps456c6bff.jpg

image_zps614cfc3d.jpg

image_zpsc103710f.jpg

I'm disappointed that there those in the firearms community who turn a sharing event into a moral passing of judgement regarding my integrity.

I do apologize for that. That wasn't my intention. I didn't intend for it to come across as if I was judging you for your score. If I could have gotten them for that price, I would not have passed up the opportunity to own them.

Sweet rifles. You came up on some real finds there. They all look very nice but that Marlin really caught my eye.

I was just out shooting my old Remington Model 41 yesterday with my son and nephew. It was my dad's rifle when he was growing up, he is 75 years old now. I will have to ask him if it was new when he got it or if it was passed down to him. Nothing beats the old .22's for some fun shooting.

TDR. Thanks for your clarification. Apology noted and accepted. Some of comments here are nothing compared to another Forum I participate in.

I learned a lesson too. I will not post prices in the future. If someone wants to know I will respond to a PM request.

I do apologize for that. That wasn't my intention. I didn't intend for it to come across as if I was judging you for your score. If I could have gotten them for that price, I would not have passed up the opportunity to own them.

Word for word I feel the same.

If directed at me, please don't think I'm trying to judge your moral character based on my post, that's not it at all. Unless you DID intentionally hose the seller, which I don't think you did, at least based on what we've heard I've no reason to think so. :)

I've had some great scores myself, I picked up a 1969 Gibson SG Special a few years ago for $400.00 go check em out on eBay and you'll see they go for (or at least did at the time) $3,000.00+ in good shape. I don't feel the least bit bad as in my case I DID know the POTENTIAL value, I also knew roughly how much time and money it would take to get my example up to even close to that value again. In my case the seller knew practically nothing about it, even that it had been through a series of (to me) very noticeable repairs. Once I pointed them out he saw them, but he claimed ignorance to any prior knowledge. I told the seller flat out that I was not interested in it at the selling price, once I had seen the damage. He wanted $800.00 because even he knew it was "rough" but once I saw all the work that needed to be put into it, it was still a pretty fair price but I wasn't buying as it went beyond my ability to DIY so that means paying a pro to do their magic.

Any way, long story short I pointed out the reasons that I wouldn't buy it after inspection and he asked me to make an offer, I don't want to have much more than $2,000. Sunk in it so I said $400.00 he ended up agreeing and I "stole" a vintage American classic. Luckily I know one of the top SG repairman/ghost builders in the am/pro circuit and will one day have it fixed up nice and proper. Then on to finding and funding period correct parts to replace all the broken missing ones.

So all in all that's a long winded way of saying there's no judgment on my end, like it says above I KNEW the value of that guitar, I also knew the value of the work required to see a ROI should I sell it. It all worked out.

It sounds like you DiDNT know the value on these particular models but took a gamble anyway, your gamble payed off. Nothing wrong with any of that. :)

Those are some nice rifles!  I missed out on seeing the price but I wouldn't condemn you even if you only paid fifty bucks for the lot.  To me, it isn't my responsibility to make up for someone else's ignorance nor do I feel that paying someone what they are asking for an item is 'cheating' them, no matter how much of a bargain I am getting.

I admit that my attitude on the subject might be a bit 'situational' in that if the seller were some little, old lady reluctantly parting with some of her late husband's firearms because she needed the money for bills, etc. then I'd be more likely to try and inform her that the items were worth more.  If the seller had no clue and asked me my honest opinion of what the items were worth, I'd tell them.  If, however, the seller were someone who was simply not interested enough to find out the 'real' value and as a result was low-balling themself, then good for me for stumbling across a great deal (which never happens to me, btw.)

Guest Bonedaddy

Man, am I ever jealous. Very nice! Other than my two AR-7's (Armalite and Henry), all I've been able to acquire is a 1943 Ranger 101-11A, which is my main "go to" tree rat gun. It's the kinda gun I grew up shootin' as a kid and love but what you got is golden to me. Could've bought a take down Belgium Browning for $350, a while back but didn't have the funds, at the time. That was another rifle I loved.

• 2 months later...