Proof pretty much the 22 ammo thing is about over

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC
8 o'clock last night. Sportsmans warehouse. Plenty of people there. 22 available. I counted 20 boxes of CCI Velociter. Not one person in line to buy. Limit 3 boxes instead of 2.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Good to know but I still haven't seen any around here.  Also, if things are lightening up, I imagine that will come just in time for .22 to sell out, again, around Christmas when folks start buying .22 rifles as Christmas presents.

I still think it will be next summer before we see anything even approaching 'normal' stock on .22LR or .22WMR (or most handgun ammo, for that matter.)  I also think that the prices on LR will be markedly higher than before.  That said, I would very, very much like being able to say in a couple of weeks, "Nope, I was wrong and TankerHC was right - the fiasco is nearly over."  Let's hope I get that opportunity.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

I hope tanker is right about the 22's. I really have good supply but I know there are alot of folks still looking for them. I would buy more if I get a chance because even though I have a good supply I would like to be able to buy some 22WMR's and 22 lr's and do some shooting again. I have held off doing any because I didn't want to dig into my stock to shoot any.

I hope tanker is right about the 22's. I really have good supply but I know there are alot of folks still looking for them. I would buy more if I get a chance because even though I have a good supply I would like to be able to buy some 22WMR's and 22 lr's and do some shooting again. I have held off doing any because I didn't want to dig into my stock to shoot any.

Same here.  I built up enough of an on-hand supply over the past, few years that I don't feel the need to wait at Walmart at 5:30 am with the privateers and the desperate but I do check the ammo shelves any time I am in a Walmart (or Academy or Sportsman's Warehouse if I happen to be in Chattanooga.)  I am kind of rationing myself on my onhand supply so I can shoot one or another of my .22s now and then.  Before the nonsense, I was shooting .22s once a week or so and those were the guns I was shooting most often.  I'd like to have enough .22 on hand to be able to ease up on the rationing a little.  After the nonsense ends, I plan to concentrate on buying rimfire ammo here and there for a while so the next time this happens (and it likely will happen, again) I will have enough on hand to be able to shoot more without worrying about running out.

Edited by JAB
I wish it was true and a positive sign, but I still just don't see it happening anytime soon. I'm with others. I stocked up years ago and don't shoot it that much. What I have should last years to come. And I really don't have that much compared to others.
  • Like 1
  • Well,  I think we, just told some 'hoarders and resellers' where to go....  I believe most everybody (sellers) are still pretty much 'dry' of most bulk batches of .22lr. @ least around the Nashville area.  Its a vicious cycle, sad.
  •  
Edited by sigrug17

My wife picked up a 1000 box of Winchester M-22 last night at the Hixson WW for $54.15, tax included and I grabbed 300 mini mag solids after work today from an armslist ad for $21.00, no tax.

Bill

When .22 is available in Knoxville, TN and via on-line distributors with no restrictions then the famine has ended.

We are a long, long way away from that.

So enjoy and talk up the random sightings.  This is not going to end anytime soon.

• Like 5

When .22 is available in Knoxville, TN and via on-line distributors with no restrictions then the famine has ended.

So enjoy and talk up the random sightings. This is not going to end anytime soon.

It's a Knoxville issue. I find .22 in Crossville weekly. Still a 1 box limit

So enjoy and talk up the random sightings.  This is not going to end anytime soon.

Agree with that 100%. I honestly don't see it being even close to being over. Talked to a guy at the sporting good counter at wally world tonight and he said he's not even seeing much come in right now. He said the same guys are there every day buying what comes in.Then you have the idiots on these facebook gun sites selling 500 round boxes for $60 or more and then you have the bigger idiots that buy it. If you have told me back in Jan of this year that I would still have a hard time finding .22 ammo I would have said no way. Maybe by this time next year it will be more available but I don't see it anytime in the near future.

I recently bought a rifle that shoots only 22 shorts. I was looking for some ammo for weeks. Finally found some at Benton's Shooting Supply a couple days ago. I was aghast at the price per 50. More aghast that I bought 3 boxes.
At least I can shoot it and see if it works. Don't imagine there is much demand for shorts.

It's not just a Knoxville issue. .22lr is still nearly impossible to find. 

I've never seen a product with such high demand remain impossible to find for this long. I really don't understand why manufactures haven't increased production enough to keep up. 

I recently bought a rifle that shoots only 22 shorts. I was looking for some ammo for weeks. Finally found some at Benton's Shooting Supply a couple days ago. I was aghast at the price per 50. More aghast that I bought 3 boxes.
At least I can shoot it and see if it works. Don't imagine there is much demand for shorts.

I see CCI 22short at Sportsman's warehouse in Chatt all the time if you're ever that way. Not sure the price though.

It's not just a Knoxville issue. .22lr is still nearly impossible to find.

I've never seen a product with such high demand remain impossible to find for this long. I really don't understand why manufactures haven't increased production enough to keep up.

My point is, just that, it's NOT impossible. Seems to be localized. Either those stores are not getting inventory or there are an inordinate amount of hoarders at those locations.

My point is, just that, it's NOT impossible. Seems to be localized. Either those stores are not getting inventory or there are an inordinate amount of hoarders at those locations.

Resellers are still at it. My store guy said it's the same ones coming in every morning. Five or six guys in a group waiting for stock to be shelved. Then buy the bulk packs and the 22, leaving a little 40 and 45.

I'm sure there are still more guys like myself who buy a few boxes(still 3 limit) when they find some caliber they can use. But we sure can't account for all the purchases. 

I have seen 22 lr  the last 4 weeks in a row in Chattanooga after not seeing any ( that I remember ) in the last 8 or 9 months..  I found 22 magnum today and bought the 3 box limit for my new Henry that I have not shot yet. He asked if the Mrs wanted three boxes as well , but I told him leave them for someone else. I just buy a few boxes when I can but I am not willing to pay inflated prices or wait in a long line. I just don't need it that bad.

The only ammo I have been buying this year is for guns that I have bought this year in calibers I didn't have before. 

Guest TankerHC

Agree with that 100%. I honestly don't see it being even close to being over. Talked to a guy at the sporting good counter at wally world tonight and he said he's not even seeing much come in right now. He said the same guys are there every day buying what comes in.Then you have the idiots on these facebook gun sites selling 500 round boxes for $60 or more and then you have the bigger idiots that buy it. If you have told me back in Jan of this year that I would still have a hard time finding .22 ammo I would have said no way. Maybe by this time next year it will be more available but I don't see it anytime in the near future.

Not random sightings. I can pretty much buy .22 ammo daily here now. Walked into a gun store tonight and saw about 20 boxes of overpriced ammo, at the prices it will probably stay long enough to petrify. Only Walmart never has any. Never. 

I bought some in the Dayton Walmart 3 or 4 weeks ago . They were CCI mini mags ( I bought 2 ) and they had some stingers too ( I wish I had bought a box of them ) . The next week they had Winchester 100 round boxes. This week they had the 22 magnum but no LR when I was there.

• 3 weeks later...

Everything or Anything weapons... whatever their dumb name is in Brentwood has 500,000,000 rounds f .22lr.... they have it. Of course they want $65 for a bulk pack of 500... but they do have it. I ordered 2000 rounds at pre panic prices from Gander Mountain 2 nights ago. The Carnival workers are still camping Walmarts and going to flea markets though... So Wally Mart is still hit or miss depending on the Gypsy's