Recommend .22lr Scope for ~$200

• Moderators

I have a Marlin XT-22 TSR. I am hoping to put a scope on it to be able to shoot paper at 100 yards to see what it can do. I'm looking for something that is high quality and will last. I suppose somewhere between $100 to $300 is the budget, with $200 being the sweet spot. I'm looking for a magnified scope.

I haven't been able to shoot this rifle much because of .22lr availability, but so far I like it. It seems to be very accurate and I want to take it out to 100-200 yards.

Nikon 2-7 P22. Great scope and it runs ~$170.

There are two versions, a BDC with 1/2" turrets and a duplex with BDC turrets.

A friend of mine has one of these. Really nice scope.

I've got a BSA Sweet 22 on an old Rem Nylon 66. For what I paid for it I was very surprised at how much I like it.

$200 would get you the absolute top of the line scope for a rimfire at 100 yards. A Leupold VX-1, Nikon BuckMaster, Vortex Crossfire.

However I don’t think any scope at any price could offer you anything more than a quality $100 scope for shooting paper at 100 yards.

I also recommend the Mueller. I have a 4.5-14 APT which has adjustable objective and tactical turrets. They run around 130ish I believe. I have it on a savage bolt action 22 and have been very pleased. I think it is a good buy for the price and works great from 20 feet to well over 100 yards. 

get this:  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/746570/

I'm not kidding.  I am always on the hunt for the best rimfire scope for the least and this is it.  I have or have had nearly every scope mentioned in this thread sans the Vortex and like the linked scope the best. This scope also comes in Mildot if you want to pay another 15 bucks.  These are a special deal that Midway has as these scopes are made in the Philippines and not China like the rest of the Simmons line.

Mueller APVs essentially replaced the Simmons Whitetail Classic as the budge good quality scope of choice on rimfirecentral.com.  I think it is mainly due to size of bell because I think the my Whitetail Classic is clearer than my APV.

Edited by graycrait

I use a fairly cheap Tasco Varmint 6-24Xm mil dot on my Savage TRR-SR. It's enough magnification and clear enough you can shoot out to 400 yards with it. I think Midway has them under $100. Buddy liked the combination enough he bought the exact same thing for his TRR-SR.

I have no experience with the Whitetail and if Graycrait has used one next to the mueller and prefers the Whitetail, I'm sure there is a reason. Some of the comments on the midway site claim that the Whitetail was originally made in the Philippines but that all the new ones are in fact made in China, which might explain why the one graycrait has is so nice. Again, I have no firsthand knowledge, but it might be something you wanna research a bit if you go with the Whitetail. 

get this:  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/746570/

I'm not kidding.  I am always on the hunt for the best rimfire scope for the least and this is it.  I have or have had nearly every scope mentioned in this thread sans the Vortex and like the linked scope the best. This scope also comes in Mildot if you want to pay another 15 bucks.  These are a special deal that Midway has as these scopes are made in the Philippines and not China like the rest of the Simmons line.

Mueller APVs essentially replaced the Simmons Whitetail Classic as the budge good quality scope of choice on rimfirecentral.com.  I think it is mainly due to size of bell because I think the my Whitetail Classic is clearer than my APV.

I'm not knocking the BSA scopes, I run them on a few of mine, but they really lack in light transmission. 

And it only gets worse when you zoom them in. and at 100 yards you'll most likely be max on the zoom.

The Simmons is a good scope for the money and comes in a solid $100-$125 performer.

The only downside is it uses a 50mm objective to bring in the light. SO HIGH mount are a must in most cases.

I another thing you might want to look into if you plan on target shooting alot is an adjustable objective.

That way you can use your higher magnification on short distances with no distortion of cross hairs or image.

The downside to them is if you hunt and need to make a fast shots a different ranges you have to turn the objective

and that could cost you some shots.

I wouldn't buy a 22 scope. I'd get a set of 1" rings, and buy the same scope you'd choose for your deer rifle. A Leupold M8 4x is among my favorite, and can be had for considerably less than $200.

The problem with that is most centerfire scopes have the parallax set for 100 yards and most rimfire shooting is at 50 yards or less.

• Moderators

So, I've budgeted aside enough money to purchase one of these if I want. However, I find myself contemplating opportunity costs and the like, as usual.

I was actually already very interested in the Nikon scopes before they were recommended. However, I notice that the adjustments are .5 MOA instead of the typical .25 MOA adjustments seen on many other scopes.

There are two versions, a BDC with 1/2" turrets and a duplex with BDC turrets.

Between the two Nikon versions, which is more highly recommended any why? I don't know that much about telescopic scopes. The one with the BDC 150 seems neat, but is that truly something that works well?

http://swfa.com/Nikon-P-22-Riflescopes-C4158.aspx

To put it on an XT-22TSR, I suppose I"ll need a scope base. Whatever I do, I want something that should hold zero very well during transport. Anything in particular come to mind regarding this?

The problem with that is most centerfire scopes have the parallax set for 100 yards and most rimfire shooting is at 50 yards or less.

It isn't a big deal in my opinion. I've used them for years without issue. I also shoot centerfire rifles on occasion at less than 100 yards without issue. You'll get a better scope if you go with a 1 inch tube model.

If parallax is an issue for you, there are plenty of model with parallax adjustment. Most shooters have little idea of what parallax is to begin with.

Edited by gregintenn

Well, if the Whitetail Classic is now made in China so be it, for a 100 bones I like this scope and just sold another 1022 with a recently purchased Midway Whitetail Classic Mildot which I really liked for switching from 25-200 yard shots.  For my money on a rimfire I think those Midway WC are pretty nice scopes.  If you really want to shoot great groups at 100 yards you might think about something with a Fine crosshair. The Muellers and Simmons WC are rather thick. I have owned three Muellers, several Nikons, Swift and a few others for rimfires.  For a plinker I like the little Simmons 3-9x32mmAO.  When you are looking at sub 200.00 scopes you have narrowed the field quite a bit.  Someone mentioned the Leupold VX1 another good choice for general plinking. I've had a couple of the Tasco  Varmints but the Whitetail Classic Mildot is the better scope IMHO.  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/168462/simmons-whitetail-classic-rifle-scope-65-20x-50mm-adjustable-objective-mil-dot-reticle-matte

If parallax is an issue for you, there are plenty of model with parallax adjustment. Most shooters have little idea of what parallax is to begin with.

Funny you should mention that, I was doing some homework last night at work.

http://www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html

http://www.rimfirebenchrest.com/articles/parallax.html

Edited by kieefer
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
  • Moderators

Get the duplex reticle. It comes with spare turrets for the various velocities. The BDC version does not come with extra turrets and honestly the BDC is useless for most loads.

Price match came back, I can get the Nikon 8498 for $140.38 shipped. That's lower than I have ever seen it. Should I jump on that or does it occasionally go down to $100? I ask that because I recently saw some of the Nikon P-223 scopes for $100.