Paul Walker dies in wreck

Guest RebelCowboySnB

CNN says they clipped off a light pole so that explains the look of the car an the tree still standing. They also said figure 8s are all over the road an they were in sight of the building holding the charity event. Sounds like they were out showing off for the event. One of the raw videos CNN has online shows a yellow 2 seater convertible. In that raw video you can hear someone in the background say the second car was not damaged but was involved in the crash.

I bet someone has video of this crash cause I think they were doing some kind of publicity stunt when it happened.

What stupid game were they playing?

It's safe to say that no station wagons were involved in a fiery crash on that stretch of road. They were driving fast (and furious) and died in the process. Y'all are more than welcome to say I had it coming if I die in a car wreck on I-24 going 120 mph. Luckily no innocents were killed.
  • Like 1

sad. so sorry for his daughter's loss. I'm sure the family and friends of the driver are devastated as well. this is a great lesson for my children about being passengers in someone else's car.

I can't stop thinking about the possibility that Paul may have known that car and its limitations well, and may have been uncomfortable with how the risks were being managed (or how they weren't).... he may or may not have spoken up in those last moments... but the bottom line is - his life was in someone else's hands. who knows... may have been a blown tire or other equipment failure as well. looks like the margins of safety were razor thin at the least.

Also, many other moms, dads, daughters and sons died all around the world yesterday. ... a good reminder to show kindness in every possible moment.

Edited by Peace

I enjoyed his movies. As was said above, he seemed to have a bright future.

I can't help but be sad when I hear of someone dying needlessly and also feel a bit blessed that I'm still around when so many who are younger than me and even live a less dangerous life have already passed on.

May he and Rogers RIP and prayers for their families and loved ones.

Ya, he apparently did a lot of charity work and I imagine he's a guy I'd enjoy having a beer with. Sad to hear him go so young. I hope the impact took him, burning to death has to be one of the worst ways to go.

He wasn't the highest paid actor but did charity work where he was personally/financially involved in than most of the Hollywood actors. I only care because he left this world a little better - hopefully his daughter has a good family support.

Never watched his movies, but I always hate to read of someone passing...

On a lighter note, glad to see all of the Wall postings on Facebook showing just how distrustful people are of the media these days in relation to this story. Just wish I could have seen it for reasons other than death....

Guest TankerHC

According to Moviefone, they were not in front of the area where the Charity event was taking place. The event was over, they drove to a long stretch of street behind the warehouse where the charity event was held. The car they were driving was a Porsche 911 GT2 and according to some drivers interviewed, its so fast for it's size it is considered a scary car to drive even to professional drivers, which the driver wasnt. The driver was CEO for the company that he and Walker invested in (Some racing company) and he wanted to take Walker for a ride before they left. According to the police, they first bounced off two trees then hit the pole and the car broke in half and caught fire. Guests at the event said they heard a loud bang then saw black smoke billowing up behind the warehouse. Walkers 15 year old daughter went to the scene, she was on the other side of the building.

Had to have been flying. 

Edited by TankerHC

Awful for their families.

Porsche Carrera GT.  I've found more than one other fire in them.  Also, the fuel sits directly... - and I mean directly behind the seats - in the rear bulkhead.  Mid-engine, so firewall/engine is in the bulkhead as well.

Also - the CGT is supposedly a beautiful nightmare (excessive power) - able to get away from even experienced drivers.  - ala the STIG from Top Gear.  It's not that the STIG spun it, but if you listen to them recount his runs... its the unusual number of times he spun it before he was able to get a feel for it.  STIG is almost always a top, current F1 driver.

Sorry for the families' loss.

Awful for their families.

Porsche Carrera GT.  I've found more than one other fire in them.  Also, the fuel sits directly... - and I mean directly behind the seats - in the rear bulkhead.  Mid-engine, so firewall/engine is in the bulkhead as well.

Also - the CGT is supposedly a beautiful nightmare (excessive power) - able to get away from even experienced drivers.  - ala the STIG from Top Gear.  It's not that the STIG spun it, but if you listen to them recount his runs... its the unusual number of times he spun it before he was able to get a feel for it.  STIG is almost always a top, current F1 driver.

Sorry for the families' loss.

I'll have to remember that next time I'm hotrodding in a car that costs more than my house. I have kids, after all, so it pays to play it safe.
  • Like 1
  • Administrator

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes?  I'm having a hard time finding it within myself to mourn for another celebrity who essentially committed suicide.  Besides, this guy and the movies he's made are largely responsible for glamorizing the "street racing" culture and helping it explode exponentially.  No pun intended. 

It's kind of a good thing that the hot-rod Honda crowd gets to witness the mortality of one of their heroes.  Maybe it'll smack some sense into them and they'll put less of us at risk on the streets as a result.

• Like 3

Glorified street racing? I think the street racing element of society was pretty well established before the F&F movies came out...in other words, I think the movies simply reflected/showed the culture that already existed more than glorifying it.

If it did glorify it I think we could say the same for just about every movie ever made; that they glorify something/some activity (and often not something "good" like violence or crime or killing or firearms or promiscuous sex or lying or cheating or steeling or murder (or all the above in some movies) or FILL IN THE BLANK???

The bottom line is that a fairly young man (young enough to be the son of many of us here) who had a very promising life ahead of him and who, by the accounts I've read, was a pretty damn good guy off screen has been killed and it wasn't his fault (he wasn't driving).  I think that should make all of us a bit sad and also be a reminder that none of us have a guarantee of even the next second of life.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Glorified street racing? I think the street racing element of society was pretty well established before the F&F movies came out...in other words, I think the movies simply reflected/showed the culture that already existed more than glorifying it.

If it did glorify it I think we could say the same for just about every movie ever made; that they glorify something/some activity (and often not something "good" like violence or crime or killing or firearms or promiscuous sex or lying or cheating or steeling or murder (or all the above in some movies) or FILL IN THE BLANK???

The bottom line is that a fairly young man (young enough to be the son of many of us here) who had a very promising life ahead of him and who, by the accounts I've read, was a pretty damn good guy off screen has been killed and it wasn't his fault (he wasn't driving).  I think that should make all of us a bit sad and also be a reminder that none of us have a guarantee of even the next second of life.

Robert, if I've learned one thing during your stay on TGO it's that only fools expend the time and energy to argue with you about anything.  Which sort of leads into why I could care less about another dead celebrity:  I have far too many relevant, important things going on in my own life to take on the burden of caring about something that happened to a guy who was famous for entertaining.  If your life isn't preoccupied with more relevant issues than this, good for you.

Is it sad on a basic human level?  Sure, why not.  Do I care enough about it to argue why you should care about it?  Nope.

Talk to me about a solider who has given his life in defense of countryman and you have my both my interest and attention.  Don't talk to me about an actor who allowed himself to be propelled into a light pole in excess of 100mph while hooning around on the street and expect more than a "Meh" from me.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't care about another dead celebrity either, but I've also gotten into cars with "friends" who on more than one occasion done something stupid while I'm in the car, (something that I surmise has happened to just about everyone on this forum), and I personally don't classify that as suicidal in and of itself. Just saying.

Sure he was "just the passenger" but those two guys were two peas in a pod from way back and Paul Walkers safe driving award record is pretty well known... he was willfully in that car with the intent to enjoy his desire for speed and adrenaline and anyone who tries to argue otherwise should apply for a position as Obamas White House Spokesman. Any loss of life is misfortunate even in circumstances where ones own choices or addictions or compulsions are the cause...but Im sorry...when two middle aged adolescents catch their killing endangering the public getting their "go fast jollies off" I simply refuse to celebrate it and cant help pushing back a little when all these people are gushing like he was some great value to society or the second coming of the Muhatma Ghandi in a souped up Honda...Now I understand he was a pretty laid back guy and was likable and Ive even read that hes given some time and money to charity...thats nice....But there are good and decent men women and children that are dying every day from things they dont have a choice about...and dang sure wasnt possibly taking someone out with them when their number was called....and they remain uncelebrated in life and unsung in death...This man was pretty...and apparantly the poster child for anyone that has vehicular Peter Pan Syndrome and nothing more...And as long as I live in world where a soldier may have given it all without even seeing his own kid...or a child is taken by disease, neglect or abuse ...or even someone killed in car wreck caused by some idiot who watched one too many Too Fast too Furious movies my tears are in too much demand to be wasted on this mess... Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2 Edited by turkeydad
  • Like 1

Sure he was "just the passenger" but those two guys were two peas in a pod from way back and Paul Walkers safe driving award record is pretty well known... he was willfully in that car with the intent to enjoy his desire for speed and adrenaline and anyone who tries to argue otherwise should apply for a position as Obamas White House Spokesman. Any loss of life is misfortunate even in circumstances where ones own choices or addictions or compulsions are the cause...but Im sorry...when two middle aged adolescents catch their killing endangering the public getting their "go fast jollies off" I simply refuse to celebrate it and cant help pushing back a little when all these people are gushing like he was some great value to society or the second coming of the Muhatma Ghandi in a souped up Honda...Now I understand he was a pretty laid back guy and was likable and Ive even read that hes given some time and money to charity...thats nice....But there are good and decent men women and children that are dying every day from things they dont have a choice about...and dang sure wasnt possibly taking someone out with them when their number was called....and they remain uncelebrated in life and unsung in death...This man was pretty...and apparantly the poster child for anyone that has vehicular Peter Pan Syndrome and nothing more...And as long as I live in world where a soldier may have given it all without even seeing his own kid...or a child is taken by disease, neglect or abuse ...or even someone killed in car wreck caused by some idiot who watched one too many Too Fast too Furious movies my tears are in too much demand to be wasted on this mess...

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Purdy much.

..."when all these people are gushing like he was some great value to society or the second coming of the Muhatma Ghandi in a souped up Honda"

I must have missed the post(s) where someone did that - what I've read and I think the gist of what most have said is that some folks liked his movies and are sad to see him gone;  I don't see what's wrong with feeling that way. I haven't seen any gnashing of teeth or violins playing for him. I really don't think anyone here has tried to make his death something special or even hinted that it was heroic or "more important" that some others.

Is the death of a soldier or a veteran or an innocent child more important or noteworthy; sure it is...does that mean we shouldn't take note of this death because Walker wasn't one of those?  I don't think so.

Edited by RobertNashville

I must have missed the post(s) where someone did that - what I've read and I think the gist of what most have said is that some folks liked his movies and are sad to see him gone;  I don't see what's wrong with feeling that way. I haven't seen any gnashing of teeth or violins playing for him. I really don't think anyone here has tried to make his death something special or even hinted that it was heroic or "more important" that some others.

Is the death of a soldier or a veteran or an innocent child more important or noteworthy; sure it is...does that mean we shouldn't take note of this death because Walker wasn't one of those?  I don't think so.

I was not limiting my observations concerning the "gushing" that I am refering to just this thread. . or even this forum. . . you see theres a great big world out there with other forums and social media sights like Facebook and Twitter and various media sources that are available through broadcast televison. . radio. . and even cable.

The "gushing" that I am refering to has actually been posted moreso by members of the "fairer gender" if you will. . . which unfortunately are much shorter in supply here on TGO and thusly would certainly reflect why there isnt so much here specifically.  And most of the "gushing" that I have been exposed to are those who I suspect are more enabored by the "cut of the mans jib" more so than the content of his character or his contribution to the cinema. .

But certainly if you need help finding those who mirror your sentiments concerning the late Mr Walker I'd be happy to provide you links to help you work that out. .

Edited by turkeydad
  • Like 1

I was not limiting my observations concerning the "gushing" that I am refering to just this thread. . or even this forum. . . you see theres a great big world out there with other forums and social media sights like Facebook and Twitter and various media sources that are available through broadcast televison. . radio. . and even cable.

The "gushing" that I am refering to has actually been posted moreso by members of the "fairer gender" if you will. . . which unfortunately are much shorter in supply here on TGO and thusly would certainly reflect why there isnt so much here specifically.  And most of the "gushing" that I have been exposed to are those who I suspect are more enabored by the "cut of the mans jib" more so than the content of his character or his contribution to the cinema. .

But certainly if you need help finding those who mirror your sentiments concerning the late Mr Walker I'd be happy to provide you links to help you work that out. .

Well, if you are referring to sources and the actions of people outside of TGO that's fine - I just didn't see any indication in your initial comments that you were referencing the world at large.

As far as the world at large, I would tend to agree with your comments...I don't confer sainthood on a celebrity simply because he/she is a dead celebrity. In Walker's case it was pretty simple for me; I liked his movies and, unlike many in Hollywood, he seemed to be a decent guy off screen. 

Edited by RobertNashville

A loss of life is a catastrophic situation in most all cases because you know that family and friends will mourn a loss of a loved one and suffer the pain with losing them. I didn't know him and did not watch his movies but two lives were lost in that crash. Does it really matter that one was an actor that had a possible good future? Maybe. Does it matter that he did stand out because he was a charitable person off screen? possibly. But I would not put him above anyone else and would never compare his life's accomplishments to our Troops and Wounded Warriors and Fallen Hero's as they rank #1 above every actors accomplishments 100 fold. I am sorry to hear of anyone's death and my prayers will go out to the families and that is where I will leave it..........................jmho