Mosin Nagant in Urban Dictionary

This line made me laugh so much it brought tears to my eyes:

"The Mosin-nagant fires the 7.62x54r cartridge, which can kill a polar bear at a thousand yards and keep going right through the tree he was standing in front of."

I took mine out for my first test fire last summer. Sent two rounds downrange and looked over at my friend to smile. Over his shoulder I realized there were 5-6 guys looking at me with that "wth was that?" look. Gotta love that chest pounding "thump" when everyone else is shooting .223.

• Like 1

I took mine out for my first test fire last summer. Sent two rounds downrange and looked over at my friend to smile. Over his shoulder I realized there were 5-6 guys looking at me with that "wth was that?" look. Gotta love that chest pounding "thump" when everyone else is shooting .223.

I gave my son a Mosin 91/30 for Christmas last year. He loved shooting mine, so he wanted one for himself.

He got to fully experience the hassle of resurrecting one from its arsenal-soaked-in-cosmoline state-- I thought that would make him appreciate it a wee bit more. I walked him through the complete tear-down, clean-up and reassembly process so that he would have a better understanding of the rifle.

Anyway, first time at the range with his new baby, there are 2 guys there shooting ARs and one kid with a .22 rifle. My son selects a shooting bay a few benches away from them, nonchalantly unpacks his Mosin, loads it with a stripper clip, actuates the bolt, takes aim, and BOOOM!-- just like a Mosin.  The two AR guys whip their heads around, and one of 'em says "Wow! I know that sound--nothing else sounds quite like a Mosin Nagant!" You should have seen the grin on my son's face.

Here's a picture taken that afternoon (I'm the good-looking one on the right):

bradrobmosin-1a-sm_zps35070965.jpg

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 3

I gave my son a Mosin 91/30 for Christmas last year. He loved shooting mine, so he wanted one for himself.

He got to fully experience the hassle of resurrecting one from its arsenal-soaked-in-cosmoline state-- I thought that would make him appreciate it a wee bit more. I walked him through the complete tear-down, clean-up and reassembly process so that he would have a better understanding of the rifle.

Anyway, first time at the range with his new baby, there are 2 guys there shooting ARs and one kid with a .22 rifle. My son selects a shooting bay a few benches away from them, nonchalantly unpacks his Mosin, loads it with a stripper clip, actuates the bolt, takes aim, and BOOOM!-- just like a Mosin.  The two AR guys whip their heads around, and one of 'em says "Wow! I know that sound--nothing else sounds quite like a Mosin Nagant!" You should have seen the grin on my son's face.

Here's a picture taken that afternoon (I'm the good-looking one on the right):

Awesome photo. My son is 7 and i've had him out shooting once. I can't wait until he's old enough to join me on projects like that. I've been lazy and haven't completely finished it but i bought a decent shape Type-53, sanded it down, restained it, stripped off all the blue and refinished it. It was a lot of work but it looks great. Whenever i can finally get the clear coat on the stock i'll post it up. Back to my original point, It'd be awesome to do some restoration with my son.

• 4 months later...
We play noise wars with my cousins next door in the evenings sometimes. About a quarter mile down the road. They will pop off some 22lr. I answer back with 22. Then they go to 9 mm I go to 40 or 45. Whatever I have on usually. They break out the ar's and then I break out the mosin. Then silence. It is so much fun. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...