F450 or Ram 3500?

Dane

Ok so I'm planning on buying a new truck in about 3 months. I've narrowed it down to either a F450 or a Ram 3500. Both seem to be nearly identical in specs. Price is only a couple grand difference. So what does TGO say and why? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
[quote name="xjsnake" post="1082866" timestamp="1387763956"]Diesel or gas? That's the major deciding factor[/quote] Diesel of course... And to toss more of a conflict into it ford is putting a better turbo in the 2015 engine. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I always factor in resell value.  No disrespect to the Dodge folks, but Dodge vs. Ford on the resell values there is a significant difference, Ford is thousands more.  I should state that my 2002 F250 with the 7.3 is the best vehicle that I have ever owned!  Still going strong! 

[quote name="willis68" post="1082884" timestamp="1387766299"]Ford every day, And if you are serious about buying If you PM me I will give you a pin for an Xplan discount[/quote] But why? So far I like the fords for the interior and ride but Dodge has a better towing and the Cummins engine. I am a little bias as I've had a 2004 Ram 1500 and 2006 3500 as well as 6 other Dodge/Jeep vehicles. With that said I'm trying to keep an open mind. I'm looking at the Laramie and Lariat packages on them with the nearly impossible to find bench front seat. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
What are you towing that you need a 450 for? And why do you feel like a Ram 3500 will be equal in towing? There's a jump from 350/3500 to the next step usually.

Ford/Chevy/Dodge. Get what you like. I have a 2002 F350 7.3 that has been modified that pulls like crazy. I haveva cousin that has a newer Duramax that has been great. In a new truck, I really like how the new Dodges look.

Whatever, get what you like. I like Ford, but dig the new Dodges. New diesels are pricey though.
I think the Super Duties are the best trucks on the road,

The turbo Power Stroke I like more than the cummins

the Ford rides better
And in my opinion the Ford looks much better

Having said this I am a Ford guy through and through and if you are partial to Dodge, go for a Ram
I would start by searching for problems on either truck first. That will let you know if there is a major problem with either. Also look on the previous year and see if those issues were fixed. The are both very nice trucks. The discount Willis68 mentioned might be great if you go Ford too. I have an 04 Cummins and love it but it's a lot different than what they make now. In the past every brand has had years with engine or trans issues so I would start there.
[quote name="superduty" post="1082895" timestamp="1387768176"]What are you towing that you need a 450 for? And why do you feel like a Ram 3500 will be equal in towing? There's a jump from 350/3500 to the next step usually. Whatever, get what you like. I like Ford, but dig the new Dodges. New diesels are pricey though.[/quote] I feel the 3500 is equal in towing based on dodge's towing guide for the model I'm looking at rating it at 28,890lbs and the f450 rating at 24,700 lbs. The F350 is rated at 22,800 lbs. This has been one of my biggest dilemmas. While the most I'm looking at towing right now would be a fifth wheel at around 16k, never know what kind of toys the future brings. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have had dodge fords and chevys I have 4 fords now  2 350s and 2 450s

the fords are much better trucks and they stand behind them well

I have had 9.3 6.0 and 6.7 I like the 6.7 best

I have 3 6,7s and 1 6.0 now I haul big loads all over the south

I do change out the wheels and tires to 19.5 so I can get 18 ply tires

the newest 450 a 2014 came with 22 inch wheels and 24 ply tires I will keep them

don't like ford cars though corvettes for me

[quote name="dlm37015" post="1083356" timestamp="1387853938"]I have had dodge fords and chevys I have 4 fords now 2 350s and 2 450s the fords are much better trucks and they stand behind them well I have had 9.3 6.0 and 6.7 I like the 6.7 best I have 3 6,7s and 1 6.0 now I haul big loads all over the south I do change out the wheels and tires to 19.5 so I can get 18 ply tires the newest 450 a 2014 came with 22 inch wheels and 24 ply tires I will keep them don't like ford cars though corvettes for me[/quote] What do you think of the 2014? Did you get the factory 5th wheel setup? Likes/dislikes? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have ditched American vehicles all the way but if I had to choose I'd go with Ford over Dodge . I have seen too many Dodge Deisels have a lot of electrical fires . I dont know why but I have seen a lot burn to the ground from wiring harness fires. For some reason it seems to be the deisels and not the gas ones . 

Have you considered a Toyota Tundra with their big V-8 engine ? 

[quote name="tercel89" post="1083379" timestamp="1387856358"] Have you considered a Toyota Tundra with their big V-8 engine ? [/quote] With a towing capacity of 10k it wouldn't even haul my last boat and would tear in two with a 16k fifth wheel on it. Let alone the crappy 16mpg gas mileage. I know for a fact that the dodge will get 18 city and 22 hwy as well as 15 with 10k in tow. So no I haven't considered a toy as it is just that when discussing real trucks. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 1
[quote Have you considered a Toyota Tundra with their big V-8 engine ? [/quote] Now thats really funny. Those trucks are city boy trucks and I doubt they pull much anything with the whimpy frame they have under them. If you want a real mans truck it'll be a dodge or ford and myself prefer Dodge over the fords. sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro

I feel the 3500 is equal in towing based on dodge's towing guide for the model I'm looking at rating it at 28,890lbs and the f450 rating at 24,700 lbs. The F350 is rated at 22,800 lbs. This has been one of my biggest dilemmas. While the most I'm looking at towing right now would be a fifth wheel at around 16k, never know what kind of toys the future brings. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow the new Dodge has some impressive numbers. I would have thought the F450 to have better towing capacity.
I like the factory gooseneck hitch my are 25,000 pound the gvw of my 36 ft 3 axle trailer and 450 is 38,000
I usually load it like that as far as dodges go I have had several and they gave good service just seems like the windows stop working then the glove box wont shut so I have stayed with ford my 2006 with a 6.0 has 260,000 miles on it thanks to Justin ather wise known as jccosi on this board a great honest mechanic