Help me decide where to move...

Guest lilfishbigpond
Just another note on Memphis - due to Memphis being on a bluff by the MS river, we get less snow/ice than probably anywhere else in the state. The weather jumps right over us; though we usually still get snow that sticks once a year. Also, due to FedEx having a hub at the airport, the Memphis airport has great snow/ice equipment to keep things running whenever we do get a little bad weather. Southwest airlines just came to Memphis, so airfare prices will hopefully be less than they have been historically. I really enjoy visiting the mountains in the east part of the state, so not trying to talk you out of areas further east - but it seemed lack of snow and access to airport are priorities to you, so Memphis might deserve a second look. Germantown and Collierville east of the city limits are nice areas and likely much cheaper to buy than the Nashville area. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Guest Jazzgunner
Look seriously at the TRI-cities. I have lived in Kingsport for 12 years and found it offers many of the things you mentioned you are looking for. Checkout www.movetokingsport.com

This is truly going to be one of the hardest choices to make; knowing that their are so many locations in the state that are down right grand to live in. I've only got experience with driving through the east side and spending but a few hours over the last couple of years in Gatlinburg while we have vacationed in the foothills of the Blue Ridge in NC.

Just when I think I've got it narrowed down (sort of) another comment is made or another idea pops into the head and hunting I go on the internet....

I travel across Tennessee every week and would not have a problem living in any region of the state.  Every city has the same problems- taxes and traffic.  There are usually good areas within an easy drive to access the hospitals and airports of the city.

I travel across Tennessee every week and would not have a problem living in any region of the state.  Every city has the same problems- taxes and traffic.  There are usually good areas within an easy drive to access the hospitals and airports of the city.

Of that I'm sure you are right.... We usually get spoiled for the towns we live in; I know that I am as not only do I have 4 or 5 gun stores to shop for the most part they know me by name when I walk in and I've got a couple Ace Hardwares nearby to keep me from crossing town and going to Lowes or HD. When we come down in March we are going to look outside of Nashville by 30 minutes or so for a couple of days as well as around Knoxville for sure too but if the time allows we will check out some other areas.

I hope to find myself surrounded by folks who have similar "atrobutes" that will be very important too......

Give Robertson and Cheatham counties a serious look. Low cost of living, you would be about 20-40 minutes outside of Nashville in a more rural area with access to lakes, rives and plenty of woods.

I grew up a couple of hours from where you are now and I love it down here. I live in Nashville at the moment but will be moving out of the city in the next year or two so that I can have some land again.

Lots of us gun folks living just west of Nashville in the Pleasant View, Ashland City, Kingston Springs, Fairview area.

Edited by xjsnake
I have lived in the suburbs of Memphis (Collierville), and I have lived south of Nashville for the last 11 years (Franklin). I almost moved to Hendersonville because I wanted to be close to the water but wound up moving to Franklin because that's where I found a job. I would actually love to move to Chattanooga because I think it's so nice over there. But since I work in Franklin I would have to stay here but when I get retirement age I so want to move to the Dalehollow Tim's Ford or Center Hill area.
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest aneufeld

Chattanooga or its surrounding areas offers atleast 2 international airports within about a 2hr radius, you have Nashville and Atlanta. You will also be within 2 hours from knoxville.  I have lived just outside the city limits of Chattanooga for the last 8+ years and I perfer it that way. I recommend areas like Signal Mnt. Ooltewah, Cleveland, Apison, and Soddy Daisy if you don't like city living. I love this area of TN.

I grew up in the St. Joe area and moved to Tennessee about 30 years ago.  Still have a bunch of family up there.  I prefer anywhere I've lived/worked in Tennessee.  St. Joe is a nice place and everything, but I find Tennessee much nicer (and I don't miss the Michigan winters).

I have lived in Nashville and Knoxville, with family in Gallatin, Hendersonville, White House, and Brentwood.  Worked in Franklin and Oak Ridge.

You've received a bunch of great advice already.  I'll chip in a couple things based on my experience. 

To me there's a big difference driving from the Nashville area and the added time spent driving from Knoxville.  I've mostly driven it in the winter, so maybe in the summer months it doesn't seem like such a big difference.

Having flown out of both the Knoxville and Nashville airports many times, I much prefer Nashville.  More flights, cheaper prices, nicer airport.  Several of the folks I know/knew in Knoxville would regularly drive to Nashville to catch flights.

Just based on the "enjoyment of living there" I preferred Knoxville.  Smaller town, close to the mountains, great 1,0000 yard shooting range at the Oak Ridge Sportsmen's Association.

In the Nashville area, I'd stay out of Davidson county unless you have a compelling reason to be there (love living in the city, frequenting country music bars, etc.).  Living in any of the adjacent counties will still be close enough to enjoy what Nashville offers. 

But I've also spent a fair amount of time in the Sedona/Flagstaff area and if I could make it work I'd live near there.  Pretty cheap flights in & out of Phoenix......  :D

Can anyone shed some light and info on a town called Vonore Tn?

This is as good as I can help which ain't much but town of less than 1500 people and sitting on county line between two different counties sounds like a bit confusing cause that means everything in town would require two different elected officials for everything. Two county Sheriffs and the such..................jmho

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vonore,_Tennessee

Vonore is in Monroe County.  Pretty countryside and it does not take long to get pretty remote.  You would be about 60 minutes from ORSA, a great shooting facility with weekly competitions.  Also a sporting clays facility is fairly close.  East Tennessee is the place to be.  I have lived in Nashville/Middle Tennessee and now live in East TN.  The shooting (esp at ORSA) competitions and golf is much better here than Nashville.  

Vonore is due south of Knoxville, following US129 / US 411.

It is south end of Tellico Lake which is one of the cleaner lakes on the TN River system.

Traveling father south on 411 into northern GA, you can pick up I-75 pretty conveniently to continue to Atlanta.

Beautiful rolling hills with mountains off to the East with low (er) population density.

I'll vote for central East TN, simply because I live in the greater Knoxville area.

Look at the Coffee County area.  About an hour out of Nashville or Chattanooga on I-24.  Thirty minutes or so to Murfreesboro and good shopping, doctors, and hospital.

You won't find a truly international airport in TN but Nashville will have more flights to an international airport like Atlanta than any other city.  Lost our only flight (London) years ago about two years after taxpayers paid to lengthen a runway for American who the politicians failed to make sign an agreement to have a flight for any length of time !)

By the way, built 6 miles from a fire station several years ago.  Insurance companies are now using a mapping service and mine went up 52% because 5 miles is the cut off.  No other companies could do me any better, some were worst.

Hate to keep pestering but how about input on Sevierville Tn? Found a very nice looking home that just about pushes all buttons for both the wife and myself. Of course we just have to get out there and check it out and we will in a couple odd weeks.

Not only Mountains but quite a few Lakes in E. TN. ,due to TVA built dams for flood control & electric power production that came in very handy for WW 2 ..Great place to live and usually have 4 seasons , firing ranges both indoors & out available 7 days a week in Knoxville (at least one gun show a month), and lots of outdoor activities biking, hiking and whatever else you or your companions may enjoy. Hope you will consider Knoxville among your choices

Hate to keep pestering but how about input on Sevierville Tn? Found a very nice looking home that just about pushes all buttons for both the wife and myself. Of course we just have to get out there and check it out and we will in a couple odd weeks.

If you don't mind the tourist traffic, its a really nice place.  Traffic is horrendous at specific times.  Plenty of outdoor recreation opportunities, if that's your thing. 

It is a major tourist town and that keeps the prices of everything higher. It does cost more to live there but it is a beautiful area to live. Lots of Mountains and home of Dollywood so you can imagine the traffic issues Pretty close to Gatlinburg which is another heavy tourist town and the entrance into Great Smoky Mountain National Park. That's about all I know about it. Been there a few times as a tourist.

It is a major tourist town and that keeps the prices of everything higher. It does cost more to live there but it is a beautiful area to live. Lots of Mountains and home of Dollywood so you can imagine the traffic issues Pretty close to Gatlinburg which is another heavy tourist town and the entrance into Great Smoky Mountain National Park. That's about all I know about it. Been there a few times as a tourist.

Should be giving both you and your realtor buddy a shout soon; I'm at work till the 12th +/- a day or two due to ice conditions on the Great Lakes but hope to be making our trip down on Sunday the 16th... Will check the Gallatin/Hendersonville area as well as numerous other area in our efforts to find a new castle....

Also looking for comments as to Mt Juliet and Lebanon as well as down in Tullahoma too? Yeah I know we just got to get down there and start driving around but until them all I got is y'all for a sounding board. As a note the main reason I'm naming these towns is that I'm finding suitable rental homes which we will be doing hopefully for no longer than a year as I want to sell my MI home first.