Sorry Sears, but we need to start seeing other people

The mistake that most people understandably make is thinking that Sears is a retail outlet. They are not. They are a credit card operation. Their money is made from their credit cards, which is why they (almost) always ask, "Can I put this on your Sears card for you?" Once you understand that, you will understand where their motivation comes from. I no longer shop at Sears either because they pretty much peddle junk nowadays. I can get junk cheaper elsewhere. 

Several years ago, in 2011, I think; listening to the morning financial news. The reporter stated that the Sears-Roebuck Financing Dept./Credit Card Operations made far more profit for the operation than the retail side had since the 1970's.

I haven't actually shopped at Sears in many years but this was still a ad story for me to read as I have a lot of good childhood memories of shopping at "Sears" and some of the things my family purchased there. Heck, I still have the toolbox and most of the tools my folks bought me for Christmas on year when I was a kid (around '65)...I've bought many tools since then but I still use the ones that I got for Christmas so many years ago because they still work!

Sadly, what you experienced at Sears is not a disease that only Sears is suffering from.

I got the following tool chest. I looked at some of the cheaper Craftsman options, and this is far superior. It's actually a great chest for the money. I got it on sale, but I'd say it's still worth the full price. http://m.harborfreight.com/26-in-8-drawer-roller-cabinet-with-8-drawer-top-chest-67831.html

I got one of the less expensive black ones for Father's day one year and haven't had a single issue. I think it's made pretty darn good, but I still look at those shiny red tool boxes every time I go in a Harbor Freight. Something about tool boxes, I love them.

image_20242.jpg

Edited by BigK
The Chinese that build the red HF boxes must get paid more than the ones that build Craftsman. Cause their boxes are a lot better.

Sears annoys me cause they try to quietly pass off Chinese tools as American made tools on they're past reputation alone.

I got one of the less expensive black ones for Father's day one year and haven't had a single issue. I think it's made pretty darn good, but I still look at those shiny red tool boxes every time I go in a Harbor Freight. Something about tool boxes, I love them.

image_20242.jpg

I looked at this one while I was shopping for a tool chest. The price was pretty sweet, but while I don't use it a ton, I needed/wanted one that could stand a little more abuse. I've only had mine for a little over a year, but it hasn't given me a single issue.

Might want to swap any broken tools.  Several financial analysis predict Sears will not make it.   Also, JC Penney.   Both dropped their quality and catalogs but their credit card profit centers are struggling as people shop elsewhere and other credit card com-panies offer better deals.

Those harbor freight boxes appear built sturdy enough to actually serve as a mechanic's roll around tool chest. 

They are. I've had a few coworkers that have bought the higher end line of Harbor Freight boxes, and they're pretty solid. If I had to do it over again, I'll admit I might have done that instead of the Snap On I bought. For home use, there's no question. HF actually has a quality product for a reasonable price there. I've got an older Craftsman box in my work truck, and it's pretty wrecked. Then again, most boxes would be after the kind of life it's had. 

As for Sears, I couldn't tell you the last time I was in one. I have a handful of older Craftsman tools that I'm still using, but the majority of my stuff is tool truck brands. Snap On, Mac, Matco, etc. 

Yea I had exactly the same experience buying a tool box. It was terrible. I too still have almost the entire medium craftsman tool set with box from about 1995. Did a lot of mechanic work with them and everything is still good. Only thing getting worn is the 1/2" ratchet.

i got my sears tools in 1975 and never looked back.  used them hard and they never broke.  then this summer i was using a deep well socket with a air gun and it broke.  took it to sears for a replacement and they gave me a new deep well that was not a deep as the broken one.  i got old craftmans air guns, nailers, electric tools, and all of my yard equipment is from them.  but when i need something new i go to harbor freight and/or lowes.  the new sears tools and yard items are junk.  

Several years ago, in 2011, I think; listening to the morning financial news. The reporter stated that the Sears-Roebuck Financing Dept./Credit Card Operations made far more profit for the operation than the retail side had since the 1970's.

Hurricane Andrew hit FL in the early '90s when I worked there. At the time, Sears also owned Allstate insurance who happened to insure the majority of central Florida. They told us that was the first year ever that the company posted a loss for the year.

I built Craftsman power tools in Paris, Tn. back in the early 70's. Sears would always threaten to send our business overseas if we couldn't sell it to them cheaper when the new contract came around. Glad I left when I did, they sent it overseas and that pretty much did the factory in. They were great tools back then, I knew bench saws and Radial arm saws inside and out. I don't think I'd buy one now.