Holster for people who work outside and sweat

Guest Blue Ridge Lady

Guest Blue Ridge Lady

Has anyone found something that works for outdoor workers? Summers I work outside so my clothing is loose but I also sweat a lot so bra holsters are out and I wear a lot of lightweight shorts with no belts so a belt holster is out and for obvious reasons an ankle or thigh holster would also not work. I am concerned about moisture so anything that rides directly against skin might not be a good solution for me. Someone suggested a small fanny pack and that may be a good option but I want something designed to carry and protect the gun, not to just conceal it and I am not having any luck finding anything like that. Is there a custom company out there that would create something like this for me? Thanks in advance for your help.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a Serpa. It allows a bit of air flow and won't hold moisture.
I was a dyed in the wool Galco man until recently. In the last few years I've nearly ruined two guns on account of them. They are great and very well made but they hold sweat and are NOT for the outdoor working man. Nor is any other holster like that unless you are going to open carry. I don't deep conceal but I do cover with a loose t shirt. Sweat runs down my sides and back in the summer months and metal is a sweat magnet. IWB, I would NEVER consider btw.

You probably need to make a sacrifice somewhere and get it dirty or sweaty. Or both.

Maybe get you a Underarmor shirt and sew in a pocket  on your side..I see those at the gun shows.

I sweat and in  the summer time  also .I ride my horse and usually take my  gun with me. I use either a leg rig or  a regular belt with my holster. We found a chest rig  cheap and i am trying it out this summer .

Sounds to me if you want to carry, you need to change the way you dress. Concessions need to be made, as everyone is pointing out. Without a belt, you are very limited to how you can hold it. Either a belly band or a fanny pack is the only thing that I can think of given your requirements.

Personally I have a handful of OWB leather holsters that work great while working, or my standard carry in a kydex IWB.

All of them require a belt. I don't leave home without a belt on, but that is me.

Guest justrealality

I carry an XDs in a N82 tactical IWB holster.  It has neopreme between the gun and your side, but without a belt it may pull down on your shorts too much.  It also holds the firearm in place and you can draw wtih a slight twist of the gun.

Do your light weight shorts have front pockets? If not, can you switch to light weight cargo type shorts so you can fit a pocket gun like an LCP?

This.

I can easily and comfortably carry this

33686577-2917-434A-BD12-785808BCBA0B-479

in a pair of basketball shorts which have loose baggy pockets. If your shorts have "normal" pockets, you should be good to go.
My crossbreed horse hide does well, but as others have said you've eliminated most good ways to carry. The only other thing that comes to mind is a remora. I have one that has had no issues holding my glock 26 in gym shorts for a jog. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My crossbreed horse hide does well, but as others have said you've eliminated most good ways to carry. The only other thing that comes to mind is a remora. I have one that has had no issues holding my glock 26 in gym shorts for a jog. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was thinking a Remora as well, although it's not the perfect solution for all applications, it should work in the situation that the OP described.

Guest Blue Ridge Lady

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look into any and all options I can find. I could alter my style of dress and wear a belt if necessary. Just hoping it wouldn't be.

just some advice as I went thru it.. I  got me a Fobus holster to try to use.. You need a good carry belt for those.. with that I mean, a stiff somewhat wider one. Because the holster will have to have something to hold up against.. it has a paddle to slide inside your waistband( actually pretty comfy ) but the weight of the gun will pull it down and to the outside.. it will show much more and wont have much stability. At least  this was my problem.

I carry an XDs in a N82 tactical IWB holster.  It has neopreme between the gun and your side, but without a belt it may pull down on your shorts too much.  It also holds the firearm in place and you can draw wtih a slight twist of the gun.

I am a N82 user for a CZ75B and P-01 SDP and have trained with it for 2 days in August. My gun stayed "dry" Absolutely no moisture permeated through the holster.

Will concur that a belt is needed, you may be able to go belt-less with a light(er) weight gun,