This is why Midway will never get my biz again!!!!!

serbu50

I ordered a rail, rings, and something else last month. I had to backorder it all. I bought them as a set. They shipped them separately and was charged shipping on both items. It does not stop there. I was charged $18 in shipping for scope rings. I understand if they had to ship them separate... I am not wild about it, but ok... whatever. The simple weaver rifle rail mount cost me $11 to ship them ! I called and politely voiced my opinion and that was that. Now, for today... Over the past few months I have had .22LR backordered. I read on some forums that "hurry, midway has .22lr 500 round bricks".... Curious, I looked... they were out. The problem I have is this... 2 different bricks have been on backorder for 3 months, yet the same item number is posted and sells out in billionths of a second of course online. I called and asked why items I have backordered are not being filled when clearly they have sold that item online separately. The answer I received " real time orders are filled before backorders are sir".... I won't make a difference, but I am done with Larry SmokesPotterfield... I will break my 11 year loyalty to them today. I suggest you guys consider the same. 

Edited by serbu50

I wasn't aware of that either. I have some backordered ammo items with them as well. That doesn't  make me very happy either. I'll have to check that out.

I guess these days with ammo sales the way they are, maybe they are banking on "real time orders" being new cutomers, and that the old ones won't catch up to this. Get both old and new sales, sometimes.

I bet that's exactly what it is. If you snag some .22lr on a lucky find, you might so some more shopping on the site and impulse buy... But that can't be the case. I snagged a brick last august, put it into cart and it wouldn't let me buy it. I called and they said it's whoever actually pays for first wins. If 50 bricks are available, and 100 people try to buy the same 50... First to checkout wins. Ok, that's cool, but that still does not make sense. Think it's CCI blazer I have BO'd. I have a bunch Bo'd on there. There is gouger price .22 at midway right now by the way.

Midway has been straight up with me on all my backorders. It doesn't make sense that they would bump a backorder for a new order. Not doubting the OP's story, just wondering if Larry even knows about it. He's smarter than that.

This is twice now that backordered ammo has not been filled and "hitting the shelf" ammo is sold before our backorders... I have sent an email to them with my concerns. I have been a very loyal customer up until their shipping games and this Backorder BS...

Here's the thing that gets me. Larry knows the shooting community, and knows better than to not fill backorders. It wouldn't surprise me if some customer support person told you the wrong thing, or even if they were actually doing the wrong thing. I just have a hard time believing that Larry would go "Cheaper Than Dirt" on us, knowing the shooting community as well as he does. TGO is bad enough, but if something like this hit arfcom, they would eat him alive. 

Uncle Larry has been screwing people on shipping charges and that ridiculous minimum purchase fee for years.  Not to mention they just did away with dealer discounts, which over they years has gotten smaller and smaller.

Larry is looking out for himself.  I imagine after 37 years in business he's about ready to retire. 

All that being said, I've never been had any issues with Midway and have bought quite a bit from them.  However, I have NEVER backordered anything, I simply do not trust any business in this day and age to follow through in a timely manner.  This "real time orders are filled before backorders are sir" clain lends some credence to my personal practices and does in fact look Midway look like the complete pricks I've come to expect in the gun industry.

I certainly hope tales of this practice are exaggerated or incorrect.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

Nah... I just want a fair shake at a good deal and not pay out the wazoo for shipping.... 

I hear you. I don't normally backorder anything unless it's hard to get stuff, like my Grendel barrel. Thank God I don't ever shoot .22. I actually gave some 22 away since King Barry started his war on guns.

I hear you. I don't normally backorder anything unless it's hard to get stuff, like my Grendel barrel. Thank God I don't ever shoot .22. I actually gave some 22 away since King Barry started his war on guns.

One good thing about the war on guns, I'm betting it will be about as successful as the "war on drugs" has been...

• Like 1

I ordered a rail, rings, and something else last month. I had to backorder it all. I bought them as a set. They shipped them separately and was charged shipping on both items. It does not stop there. I was charged $18 in shipping for scope rings. I understand if they had to ship them separate... I am not wild about it, but ok... whatever. The simple weaver rifle rail mount cost me $11 to ship them ! I called and politely voiced my opinion and that was that. Now, for today... Over the past few months I have had .22LR backordered. I read on some forums that "hurry, midway has .22lr 500 round bricks".... Curious, I looked... they were out. The problem I have is this... 2 different bricks have been on backorder for 3 months, yet the same item number is posted and sells out in billionths of a second of course online. I called and asked why items I have backordered are not being filled when clearly they have sold that item online separately. The answer I received " real time orders are filled before backorders are sir".... I won't make a difference, but I am done with Larry SmokesPotterfield... I will break my 11 year loyalty to them today. I suggest you guys consider the same. 

I have never had a problem with Midway. Anything that's ever been back ordered has shipped as the items came. I will continue to do business with them as I have for the last few years. They have never given me a reason to stop. File an inquiry to find out what happened.

Dave

• Like 1

Uncle Larry has been screwing people on shipping charges and that ridiculous minimum purchase fee for years.  Not to mention they just did away with dealer discounts, which over they years has gotten smaller and smaller.

Larry is looking out for himself.  I imagine after 37 years in business he's about ready to retire. 

All that being said, I've never been had any issues with Midway and have bought quite a bit from them.  However, I have NEVER backordered anything, I simply do not trust any business in this day and age to follow through in a timely manner.  This "real time orders are filled before backorders are sir" clain lends some credence to my personal practices and does in fact look Midway look like the complete pricks I've come to expect in the gun industry.

I certainly hope tales of this practice are exaggerated or incorrect.

Incorrect maybe on their end... not exaggerated on my end...

I actually placed my first order with them in a year over the weekend. I almost cancelled it though because of the BS shipping charges. I had several small items in my cart (bore brushes, AR springs, etc), shipping was under $5. I added one additional small item and shipping jumped to $12. I almost cancelled the entire order but decided to buy original items and removed the last item. I am ordering it somewhere else or will grab at a local store as it was not at all worth an extra $7 to ship.

As for the OP experience, I find it hard to believe the realtime order fulfilment first is their policy. I think you just talked to the wrong customer service rep.

I actually placed my first order with them in a year over the weekend. I almost cancelled it though because of the BS shipping charges. I had several small items in my cart (bore brushes, AR springs, etc), shipping was under $5. I added one additional small item and shipping jumped to $12. I almost cancelled the entire order but decided to buy original items and removed the last item. I am ordering it somewhere else or will grab at a local store as it was not at all worth an extra $7 to ship.

As for the OP experience, I find it hard to believe the realtime order fulfilment first is their policy. I think you just talked to the wrong customer service rep.

I just paid 16 bucks UPS ground shipping to Brownell's for a handguard. UPS shipping rates are up everywhere

Hah I bought 10 p mags for 125.00 pre school shooting with a tube of t25 grease. I was pissed when I was charged 13 bucks for a 8 dollar tube of grease. And still no mags.The mags went on back order got em. 6 mos later at the same price no addl shipping charges....I like midway, not bad to deal with. Like any other online entity they all have their quirks like we all do but they never shoved it up my rear w bad parts, or poor quality items. They ship fast and help keep the other online guys from becoming wal mart style gougerS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling. Edited by Dustbuster

I have been slowly weaning myself off Midway. Used to be the place I would go to all the time. They would even beat out Brownells' dealer discounts pretty regularly with their coupons. Slowly the coupons have been disappearing or you find specialized coupons for a particular item.

Honestly, now I just cruise Ebay for all my gun related stuff. Almost anything you can find on Midway you can find on Ebay for cheaper. Off course I can't get 22 from Ebay but I don't shoot a lot of 22 anymore. And for reloading supplies we all know where to go to get them. Ebay has relaxed a lot of their gun related bans as of late. You can buy anything other than a lower and upper receiver for an AR on Ebay. Best part is there is no such thing as backordered. You can buy it now for retail or you can wait out an auction and generally get an item for less than retail.

• Like 1
I agree. I'm not storming off mad from Midway. I'm just going to ease on out of there. They aren't competitive anymore. I'm old school. I'll pay more with somebody I like, but at this point... I'm loyal to ME now. Amazon and EBay crush midway all day and every day. Once you see the same exact gadget on midway, you add it to your cart and see that the "fair" price widget now cost $19 to ship.... You X out the page, go to eBay... Bam! There it is, cheaper with free shipping. These company's like midway, brownells, Cheaper than Dirt... They make a lot of profit on shipping. They lie if they say they don't. Edited by serbu50

I'm with you Dolomite_supafly in regard to Midway.

For over 20+ years it use to be simple and straight forward dealing with Midway.  I had the FFL discount, so making a big order would more than offset any shipping.  I would often find myself ordering items from both Midway and Brownells at the same time and it was almost like the green flag had dropped and both companies were in a race to have their goods shipped to me first.

Now......, Midway seems to be in the "We get to You When We get to You."

Also, I didn't much care for the "Happy Horse Sh*t" email that was sent to us when Midway stopped the FFL discount.  That email had Larry telling us how much better it was going to be with all of the coupons and discounts and free shipping on stuff I don't want. 

Now - - - Well is seems like everyday I get several Midway "spam" emails pushing stuff that I can go to Academy Sports to get. 

• Like 1

I've used Midway now and then; never had a problem with them.  While their shipping policy/prices is discouraging I've always gotten what I wanted and pretty quickly.

I'm suspecting that instead of a "company policy" about filling back orders it's more likely that  the OP simply rant into a idiot clerk. That doesn't let Midway off the hook completely as it's still their fault but I wouldn't blame them for the policy until it's confirmed that it really is their policy.  If it isn't their policy then I'm sure the higher-ups would like to know who this clerk is.