Glock 42

jcoosi

Sounds like a good deal. They are selling on Gunbroker for $600. Over on FFLONLY forum the dealers are saying that distributors have a boat load of them ready to release on Jan 20. Supposedly Glock foresaw the demand and produced a large quantity this time before releasing them. We shall see.

When I first heard about this gun my thoughts were along the lines of "Why?" or "Who would buy that?"  After reading the recent article about the 42 in G&A (first decent article they have printed in a long while IMO) I can see it.  I'm not about to run out and buy one but I can see its purpose.  I think it is very similar to the Bodyguard.  I had a chance to carry a Bodyguard for a few days back in the summer and liked a lot of things about it, I thought that the laser sight was silly and added weight and size to the gun.  I wouldn't mind having one as a BUG or a "I really don' feel like carrying right now but this is better than nothing" gun.  Like others have said bring it out in 9x19 and everyone will want one.

Main advantage I see to it is the lighter trigger pull. I have a Bodyguard and a LCP and both carry great but the long trigger pull makes them hard for me to shoot well. The Glock is larger making it harder to pocket carry but the better trigger pull might make it worth the larger size.

Does anyone know of any side by side comparison pics of this to a Shield?

I spent some more range time with my Shield 9 today and fall more and more in love every time I shoot the cute li'l booger. Ask w0lfattack, that little thing shoots just as accurately as any full size gun we had out, and handled just as well. I've never shot anything that small that well. If this Glock 380 is anywhere NEAR the size of a Shield, I just don't understand the appeal. Probably just the big G on the slide and blocky styling maybe?
There are some photos out there of the Shield compared to a 42. I have a Shield and love it, on paper the Shield and the 42 are very similar in size. In person the 42 is smaller than I thought it would be. It is more towards PM9 size than a Shield size. What I realized after holding the 42 was that Glock designed it to be a better shooter than a pocket cannon. While I think the Shield is better overall, the 42 isn't as bad as first thought to be. Something else is that Glock designed the 42 with no intentions of it ever being a 9x19.
I hear what you're saying. I think Smith made the Shield to be a good shooter, and not just a pocket cannon, too. Real sights, great trigger, excellent recoil mgmt, etc. If the G42 is only a teen tiny bit smaller and shooting a 25-40% less powerful round, I kinda' consider that a fail. :(

This guy feels the same way: http://looserounds.com/2014/01/05/glock-g42-the-disappointment/

I guess I should shut up.... just being a negative Nancy.

I'm sure there will be many Glock fans who are happy this gun is coming out. I'm really hoping a few of them will decide to let go of their pristine examples of S&W Shields in 9 and 40 to me for a heckuva deal. The one I have now is "the wife's" and I want one in each caliber for myself! :-D

y3e8ytuv.jpg

yda8any3.jpg

zeta8a8e.jpg

I got to fondle one today at my local cop shop. Aside from the .380 part I really like this gun. It felt great in the hands. The price is not bad at $319 for LEO and $399 for Civ.

Thanks for the pics. I do appreciate them. Gives a good comparison for us.

I may be tempted by one, but still has to do something to better itself over my LCP for a 380 replacement.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

I got to fondle the G41 and G42 today. 

I'll start with the 41. It's a nice pistol but didn't feel any different than my Gen4 21. The slide is differently thinner but of course longer. I'm sure it will sell, but I still don't understand why Glock chose to introduce this one.

The G42 is small. Really freaking small. But unlike other guns that size it doesn't feel cheap. Glock impressed me on this one but I won't buy another .380 since I can't even find ammo now for my GF's p238. 

If they come out with a single stack 9 the same size as the 42 I'd be really tempted to pick one up. I'd dare to say the 42 is even small enough to pocket carry. Hell it's lighter than the p238 and definitely smaller than the shield. 

If they came out with 9mm, then no one would buy this 380.  So the victims of this great marketing campaign will buy this gun first, and will highly likely buy the 9mm when it comes out too.   However, if they came out with just the 9mm first, then very little marketing opportunity to buy the 380.  Companies are smarter than you think.  At least this is what this East TN hollar boy thinks.

• Like 3

Thanks for the pics. I do appreciate them. Gives a good comparison for us.

I may be tempted by one, but still has to do something to better itself over my LCP for a 380 replacement.

As an LCP and Glock owner I'll go ahead and speculate that this pistol has nothing over an LCP.

Nothing except usable sites, a superior trigger, last round hold-open, and better recoil management.  It probably isn't inherently more accurate than an LCP but I bet if you handed it to someone who owns a Glock and asked them to shoot quickly they would have more fun and shoot a smaller group than with an LCP.  Again, I haven't even held one of these and I'm not even going so far as to say I plan to get rid of my LCP.  The LCP serves me for times when I am too lazy or my dress wouldn't allow me to carry anything else.  I would say however that I do see a market for this pistol and I would probably prefer it to the LCP if I carried a .380 as an EDC...Then again, if I were willing to go just a little bigger than the LCP but not as big as a G26/G27/G33, I'd probably just carry an LCR.  Then again my LCR is primarily fired by my wife.  I don't practice with it often and when I do I occasionally "short-stroke" it.  I would arguably be better off with a pistol with a more familiar trigger.  I'm rambling now but my point is that while this pistol isn't on my shopping list, I do see a market for the G42.  I would possibly consider one for a recoil sensitive shooter or anyone who wants a small pistol and believes the ability to easily put rounds on target is more important than ballistics.      

• Like 2

Yes I think so. Erik, you can find .380 up here all day long

you keep claiming Chattanooga has all the ammunition in the world. Any idea why? Which stores are you going to?

How much is .380 there? When I can find it here I have paid anywhere from $15-20 a box at Wal-Mart.