Well I guess Krogers rule on the side of Greedy!!!!

bersaguy

For years Kroger Stores have been offering a 10% for Senior Citizens on the 1st Wednesday of each month. I just saw on the news that they are cutting it back to 5%. They said to off set the change they are making it 5% every Wednesday of the month. adding the other three days a month does not make up for it as far as I'm concerned because like most Seniors I shop for my home once a month and do 95% of my shopping on the one main trip. The rest of the time it's things like milk, bread and something I may run out of. 5% puts them in the same price range as Walmart or may make Walmart a little less. I may have to do a little price checking now on the items I buy and see who will get my business.......jmho 

• Like 1
I usually get 10% off my bill at Krogers using my plus card and I don't have to deal with Walmartians.

On another note, it's a private business. They are under no obligation to give discounts to specific classes of people. I don't think that makes them "greedy". Operating a business right now is tough. Everyone is having to cut back here and there to deal with the crushing weight of our bloated gov. I'd say it's more greedy to feel entitled to someone else's money. If they offered a veteran discount then recanted it, I wouldn't have heartburn. It's up to them. If they can afford it then great. If they can't it isn't my place to say they "owe" me anything.
  • Like 6

I wish Kroger would pack up their yankee-ass, stupid-ass "value cards", "peeled white onion buillshit" and go back to where they came from.

Yes, I shop there all the time, Knoxville is overrun with them, but I truly hate the place.

The primary reason is onions.  I like white onions, there's nothing wrong with that and lots of good cooking and eating can be had when they are used.  Kroger started that "peeled white onion" garbage at least 15 years ago and I've been pissed ever since.  Complaining, and I'm not the only one to do so, has had no effect.  Why would anyone pay $2.99/pound for onions when everyone else has them for about half that?  I don't want them "peeled".  I'll peel the skin off myself!  End of that rant.

Second rant:  Did you know that Kroger started that ridiculous value-card program that many other groceries (and so many others now) picked up on?  Ever wonder why you carry all those stupid cards on your keychain just to save a couple of cents?  Knoxville was one of the original test markets for that program.  The suckers around here ate it up like candy.  :wall:

• Like 1

For years Kroger Stores have been offering a 10% for Senior Citizens on the 1st Wednesday of each month. ...

In Knoxville, it is 5% and is every Wed, has been thus for years.

I mean, maybe it used be 10 on the first Wed, never noticed if it was, and don't shop just on Wednesdays because of it or anything.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
I personally am a Publix shopper. Try to get meat, paper towels, toilet paper, etc. on a monthly run to CostCo.
Wife has us trying some "clean eating" thing so ... shopping more fresh stuff around the perimeter of the grocery. Publix seems to have the best produce near my house. Kroger isn't bad, and I hate going to Wal-Mart (except for boolits). As far as Kroger cutting the discounts, it certainly sucks. Maybe you could try couponing? Wife did that for awhile. She spent a lot of time doing it, butnitndidnsavr us a good amount of money.

If y'all knew what they were doing with the data derived from those Kroger plus cards, it'd blow your minds.

Mind you, Target has proven you don't even need a card since everyone's paying with plastic.

So true. That's why my Kroger plus card is in the name of Raoul Duke.

• Like 1

If y'all knew what they were doing with the data derived from those Kroger plus cards, it'd blow your minds.
Mind you, Target has proven you don't even need a card since everyone's paying with plastic.

This is why I always register them in the wrong name, wrong number, and wrong address/email address. I have an alternate identity I use for stuff like that. Lol
  • Like 3

I wish Kroger would pack up their yankee-ass, stupid-ass "value cards", "peeled white onion buill####" and go back to where they came from.

Yes, I shop there all the time, Knoxville is overrun with them, but I truly hate the place.

The primary reason is onions.  I like white onions, there's nothing wrong with that and lots of good cooking and eating can be had when they are used.  Kroger started that "peeled white onion" garbage at least 15 years ago and I've been pissed ever since.  Complaining, and I'm not the only one to do so, has had no effect.  Why would anyone pay $2.99/pound for onions when everyone else has them for about half that?  I don't want them "peeled".  I'll peel the skin off myself!  End of that rant.

The hell are you talking about? I buy nothing but vidalia and sweet yellow onions from there and they are super cheap and I peel them myself. They're delicious.

And I love my plus card. Just filled my wife's car up for $2.80 a gallon.
  • Like 1

The hell are you talking about? I buy nothing but vidalia and sweet yellow onions from there and they are super cheap and I peel them myself. They're delicious.

And I love my plus card. Just filled my wife's car up for $2.80 a gallon.

I paid 2.90 this morning myself.

I wish Kroger would pack up their yankee-ass, stupid-ass "value cards", "peeled white onion buill####" and go back to where they came from.

Second rant:  Did you know that Kroger started that ridiculous value-card program that many other groceries (and so many others now) picked up on?  Ever wonder why you carry all those stupid cards on your keychain just to save a couple of cents?  Knoxville was one of the original test markets for that program.  The suckers around here ate it up like candy.  :wall:

I must have missed something but didn't you say you hate Krogerd but that you shop there all the time?

If you hate them wouldn't it make more sense not to shop there?

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 1

This is why I always register them in the wrong name, wrong number, and wrong address/email address. I have an alternate identity I use for stuff like that. Lol

Wrong address means you're missing the targetted advertising coupons. Yes, they're tracking. And yes, the coupons are awesome.

Also, we've had Kroger call us to notify on food recalls when they've occurred. And if your keys get lost, and the card is in there, yup. I know people who've had them returned that way.

There's a fair amount of good along with the "bad" that people don't want in the tracking of a Kroger + card.

10 cents a gallon discount for using that stupid card.what I save in a year is like getting 6000 rounds of free 22lr ammo from the hoarders. Kroger isn't that bad at least they haven't had their credit card list hacked. Yet........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
I am sure I'll be in the minority here, but I dislike programs that gives discounts to one group of customers, but not the others. Why should seniors deserve discounts more than the young working family, earning low wages,trying to raise their family? I have heard ,"I am on a fixed income!" enough times to puke, in my retail days. Exactly who is not on a fixed income?

Before the flames begin, I am 56 and am starting to get asked more frequently if I want a discount. I politely refuse the offer and ask them to pass it along to someone else. Usually they can't do that and I'm given a blank stare. At least I tried.
  • Like 1

I am sure I'll be in the minority here, but I dislike programs that gives discounts to one group of customers, but not the others. Why should seniors deserve discounts more than the young working family, earning low wages,trying to raise their family? I have heard ,"I am on a fixed income!" enough times to puke, in my retail days. Exactly who is not on a fixed income?

Before the flames begin, I am 56 and am starting to get asked more frequently if I want a discount. I politely refuse the offer and ask them to pass it along to someone else. Usually they can't do that and I'm given a blank stare. At least I tried.

They get a discount because that’s who the private company decided to give one to. Seniors, Military/Veterans, Disabled, Cops, Firemen, Mailmen, Ladies day, many places give discounts. I think with Kroger’s and the seniors it’s more about market share and less about thinking anyone deserves a discount.

You must be a rough looking 53, because I’ll be 60 this year and no one is offering me discounts. biggrin.gif

If you have an Aldi's in your area, give them a try.  You probably won't recognize some of the brand names but the products I have tried so far have been good and at a good value.

We have an aldi here in Hixson. No name brands, bit a lot of their goods are good quality. Canned goods, chips and snacks, eggs, cheese, frozen seafood, and frozen pizzas have been pretty darned good and cheaper. Sometimes they have some good produce. Some things I'm highly partial to like Jif p-nut butter, Mayfields milk, Sara Lee bread and such like then I'm off to Bi-Lo or Publics.

Why?  Because a private enterprise has determined that it's a business model that is best for them...that's what free enterprise is about.

If it doesn't work for them then they'll change or suffer the results of not changing.

While I might not like having to carry a card to get the discount I'll dang sure not be foolish enough to "politely refuse" the discount that I can have by patronizing a store willing to give one. The same to be said for getting an SS discount from any business that willingly honors you and offers discounts for being senior...

So true. That's why my Kroger plus card is in the name of Raoul Duke.

I also put my Kroger Plus Card in a bogus name. The Plus Card saves me quite a bit of money on groceries and gas. 

It's not easy for anyone to compete with the likes of Wal-Mart, so it's no surprise to see Kroger reduce the discount for seniors. Kroger may be a large established company, but even they aren't any match for Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart forces every competitor to make some very tough decisions.

It's not easy for anyone to compete with the likes of Wal-Mart, so it's no surprise to see Kroger reduce the discount for seniors. Kroger may be a large established company, but even they aren't any match for Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart forces every competitor to make some very tough decisions.

I think Kroger is pretty good competition for Wal-Mart. Not everyone is a price buyer; Kroger has better stuff than Wal-Mart. My wife quit shopping at Wal-Mart a long time ago and it wasn’t all over price.

If you have an Aldi's in your area, give them a try.  You probably won't recognize some of the brand names but the products I have tried so far have been good and at a good value.

I have an Aldi's as close as my Kroger and Walmart. I tried them a couple times and bought some of their canned vegetables. What very disappointed in them. They were almost 50/50 water / vegetable mix. Had to use two cans to get a normal amount of vegetables for a meal where I use 1 can with other stores. I guess I should not complain. I live alone, just me and the old dog and I actually spend more money on her food items than I do mine sometimes. Some friends have told me I am crazy for spending that kind of money on a dog but she is my very best friend and if your going to have a dog it is your responsibility to provide for it just as you would any family member but that may only be my way of thinking. She loves to go riding in the jeep and back seat is all hers and the few times I don't take her like when I go fishing and take the bass boat and going to be gone a long time she has to stay home and guard the house. She pouts but then she gets rewarded when I get home with some Jacks Turkey Jerky and I am forgiven.......lol. I have to go to Sams once a month and buy her Turkey Jerky as Sams has the 1 pound bags you can't find in retail stores and they are only $8.98 a bag. Compared to the cost of real dog treats I can by Jacks there cheaper than dog treats made in China. Plus I can eat the Jacks jerky and can't eat the Chinese Dog Treats. I might look at Aldi's again for some other products like Bread, Milk, and odds and ends stuff.

• Like 1