Walther PPK

RC3

Newer .380 HP carry ammo gives good penetration plus expansion.  Some people carry hardball in their .380's to improve penetration.  The PPK is a pleasant gun to shoot in .380, as long as your hands aren't too big.  The slide is deep and it tends to take a chunk out of the web of your hand if you choke up it it.

I've got big mitts and guns that are big enough to not hurt me when I shoot them come in bigger and better calibers.

I also saw that list on their website and I wasnt too happy. How good is a .380 round? 

FBI ballistics show that it has a 71% chance to neutralize a threat in one shot to the center of mass. 9mm has an 88% chance to do so. At least that is what a local LEO told me.

Edited by whitewolf001

I was going to say shooting wise. I know how a 9mm handles and feels and also a .45. I had a short go with a .357 magnium and never fired a .40 nor a .380. I was going to starting saving for one down the line since the ppk is a good looking pistol. 

PPK's are classic without a doubt.  There are also other European copies like the CZ-50 and 70 in the .32 ACP that are just as good for half the price.

It's one of those pistols I've always wanted in .32 or .380 but just can't talk myself into putting down the money for one.

As far as ballistics and performance goes...would you want to be on the business end of one?  It's a gun that shoots bullets.  Recipients of bullets never have a good day.

• Like 2

PPK's are classic without a doubt.  There are also other European copies like the CZ-50 and 70 in the .32 ACP that are just as good for half the price.

It's one of those pistols I've always wanted in .32 or .380 but just can't talk myself into putting down the money for one.

As far as ballistics and performance goes...would you want to be on the business end of one?  It's a gun that shoots bullets.  Recipients of bullets never have a good day.

I was also looking at the CZ's but isnt .32 auto along the lines of a .22?

Bersa .380 isn't exactly like a PPK but it looks like one. :P

I know, and I am tempted. But either way, this is just so I can set up a goal for the next few months. 

It's not a ppk but Bersa has a knock off in their thunder line. The particular model is the Thunder plus, 14 rounds of .380 same size as the regular thunder Grip is a little thicker for the double stack mag; which I actually liked since it fit my hand better. Sold it because it was the only 380 I had, extra mags were always sold out and I was able to fund another gun.

I was also looking at the CZ's but isnt .32 auto along the lines of a .22?

Like I asked, do you want to be on the business end of it?

FYI, .32 and .380 ACP were both handed down to us by none other than John Moses Browning.  ;)

• Like 1

Walther PPK; the ultimate "gentleman's pistol"....The semi-auto competitor to an engraved "J" frame smith...  They are a great thing....

As to the "dangerousness" of the 380; Garufa and others have rightly opined:... no one who is on the "wrong end" of a 380 is gonna have a good day...  A 380 in the eye, temple or heart is a very bad thing... I say:... think more about accuracy and less about caliber.... The best pistol to have is the one youve got when ya need it...

I'd like to have a genuine old walther myself; im like some others here; i cant bring myself to spend the extra dough...

leroy

I often conceal carry a PPK-S in 32 ACP. Conceals well even during summer with a long tailed t-shirt. Have read that the 32 ACP does better than one would expect in real world shootings but can't quote the study. Anyway IMO the PPK-S is a fine weapon and if it's with when you need it, it will do it's part.

Thanks for the imput, Ill give the .380 a try. I was looking for more of a fun gun to own. When I get my carry permit, Ill be carrying one of my 1911's. Or both! 

Can you carry two pistols? If so, YES! :pleased:

As a ppk owner all I can say is I love it!  It is the first gun I wanted but not the first gun I bought because it was "only" a .380. But every time I saw one I would stop and admire it.  I finally purchased one a few years ago and have no regrets.  It shoots as good as it looks and feels. It's by no means a .357 but it will put a bullet where I want it and that's what matters.  Like Garufa said "it's a gun that shoots bullets.  Recipients of bullets never have a good day."!!