22LR Ammo Recall - Winchester

R_Bert

Guess you have to call if you have one of the 1000rd boxes.  No lot number on those.

Did you read the recall notice? 

The ammunition Lot Number is imprinted (stamped without ink) on the left tuck flap of the 500-round carton as indicated here. The 1000-round intermediate carton does not have a Lot Number.

If you have the 1000 round box, take the two 500 round boxes out of it and check the flaps.

I hope allot of the Ammo resellers from walmart got all of these and their customers are at least smart enough to check the lot numbers so they get stuck with it.

I hope they are unable to sell them to people and they are forced to ship them back.

• Like 4

The only batch of this stuff I was ever able to buy, a 1000 double pack, about 1.5 years ago also had probs, but it was randomly underloaded with high percentage of duds. Never did get around to seeing about replacement before the panic though.

I wonder if Winchester will really be able to replace this with any efficiency, or will just issue refunds or vouchers? And looking at the form, will they do it without copy of receipt?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

OS, I bet most people that have it got it from scalpers with out receipts. 

Some people will probably learn a lesson here. 

Or it is already locked away in horde boxes not to be used for 5 plus years.  Some will most likely have very loud bangs at that point.

Long and forgotten until someone, some kid is just target practicing and BANG.

Edited by vontar
I've got a couple downstairs i'll check. If recalled they need to send me some more before they send out the Brown truck. Don't they know this stuff is impossible to get. I don't want no refund or voucher. Heck if that's the resolution I'll just sell it if and double my money. :) lol

I've got a couple downstairs i'll check. If recalled they need to send me some more before they send out the Brown truck. Don't they know this stuff is impossible to get. I don't want no refund or voucher. Heck if that's the resolution I'll just sell it if and double my money. :) lol

Maybe there is nothing wrong with it and they are just wanting to resell it too.

Did anyone check the ship to address?

Walmart Scalper

Price hike lane

Somewhereville TN

• Like 2

damn if these were scalped .22 rounds and someone gets hurt... those scalpers may find out what the iron fist of the law feels like with no lube.

probably falls under buyer beware.  Plus like anything else, the consumer should check for recalls and stuff.  I just can't see how the scalpers could actually be at fault.

As much as I don't like scalpers.  My though is, dude buys over priced and pays 80 bucks, later, Winchester might ofter retail refund.  Then the person will have to decide on safety and lose our just eat the lose and mark it up to lesson learned.

I guess it falls on who has it at the time of the recall.  If a scalper knowingly sells it after finding out there is a recall then buy all means, I believe they are responsible for any thing that results.

Did you read the recall notice? 

If you have the 1000 round box, take the two 500 round boxes out of it and check the flaps.

Why yes, I did read it, thanks.

I did not associate, from the wording of the article, that there were (2) 500 rd boxes in a 1000 rd box. The 'intermediate' box, as you pointed out.

That was not terribly clear, if you are someone like me who does not have a long history with 1000 rd boxes of .22 in this day and age.

probably falls under buyer beware.  

I'm looking more along the lines of them hocking goods without having a business license and paying taxes.  None of that would be on the radar unless someone actually gets hurt

• Like 1

I'm looking more along the lines of them hocking goods without having a business license and paying taxes. 

To my knowledge, there's no actual penalty involved for running a business without a license, except for the few professions that specifically require one.

Of course, everyone owes federal income taxes on earned income regardless of how they make it and state sales tax on most items for resale. In the case of a small time ammo reseller though, actually proving either is highly unlikely -- would take an ongoing investigation that would cost beau coup times more than any tax money recovered.

Just "ratting out" even the most prolific of Wally World resellers is certainly not going to get them charged by state or feds.

You realize that almost certainly a larger part of the country's economy is now an underground one than anytime since the Depression, right? Likely 15-20 % of the previous workforce in the country is making a living off the books one way or the other. Mostly in a legal manner, really, except of course for the various tax issues.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

To my knowledge, there's no actual penalty involved for running a business without a license, except for the few professions that specifically require one.

- OS

reselling goods requires it, at least it did in KY when I was selling paintball gear.  I wouldn't see how TN could be much different

reselling goods requires it, at least it did in KY when I was selling paintball gear.  I wouldn't see how TN could be much different

I can find no penalty, meaning fine or jail time, for not having a business license as per state or country law in TN. All counties and cities "say" you need a business license, but again, no blanket penalties if you don't. And I don't mean doctors, lawyers, and any number of professions that require a separate license to operate legally in TN.

The only thing cities and counties can "get" you on is if you have business property, which includes "personal business property" (equipment), not just real estate. Basically any tangible possession that you would deduct in toto or depreciate on federal return in relation to your biz. You would owe "personal property taxes" on that, and if you ducked them and were "caught", you'd owe the back taxes (very low rate) plus whatever penalties.

About zero chance of it happening with a small sole proprietorship, though, though of course if you have a visible profile of any size at all, your exposure goes up.

Used to be, you had to pay sales tax to state, county, and/or city, and so you had three places that could come after you if push came to shove, but for a good long while now, it's just payment to state only for the whole bundle and they distribute the shares back to the locals.

At any rate, there are thousands of small entrepreneurs across the state operating without a biz license, whether they're cutting your trees, cleaning your house, working on your car, or selling you .22LR, and they simply aren't going to be hassled any more than you are for importing your goods into the state tax free via internet purchases,  unless the State of TN adds as many full time tax investigators as violators. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest Lester Weevils
Years ago when I had a biz license for part time electronic maintenance, piano tuning, whatever came up. The sales tax folks had a lower threshold of sales below which it was too much trouble to be interested in, though perhaps nowadays the situation is different.

The main tax I got hit with was just yearly fees and personalty tax on business equipment. I would pay sales tax when buying parts for instance, and I only charged labor, did not mark up the parts. So the "tangible" part of what I sold was already sales taxed, and double sales taxation was not required. Maybe it is different nowadays.

Perhaps it is the same with ammo tax stamps? If the scalper paid the ammo tax on the front end and he leaves the package intact, then maybe he owes sales tax if the quantity of sales is high enough, and he certainly owes income tax on any profits after deducting expenses, but MAYBE doesn't owe ammo tax?

The rules for sales tax are to me rather strange, and might be different nowadays. You don't have to charge tax on professional services. Doctors, lawyers, even musicians, don't have to charge sales tax on their services. But sometimes it seems that businesses are required to charge sales tax on what to me seems services exactly the same as those which are not sales taxable.

I wasn't against paying sales tax, just didn't want to fill out the monthly paperwork. Yearly for the feds is bad enough. If I would record somebody or master some music, I'd charge for the service and give away the tangible tape or CD. Deduct the tangibles from my biz expenses. As best I could figure, that turned it into a "pure service" and not a sale, but could be mistaken.

Such would probably only fly for small part time businesses however.
Mine wasn't recalled. Oh well. Wanted to double my money.

On another note I hope they issue a recall for accidentally dropping extra powder in the Winchester Western bricks I have. Then maybe they'll function better than the last one I half-assed shot. Gonna have to dedicate them to the revolver I guess.

i hate these recalls.  when i buy 22 ammo i dump it into a ammo can and throw away the box.  takes up less space that way.  but i feel good, it has been over a year since i have bought any 22 ammo.  i refuse to pay the high price for it.  glad i had some on hand before the madness hit.  

i hate these recalls.  when i buy 22 ammo i dump it into a ammo can and throw away the box.  takes up less space that way.  but i feel good, it has been over a year since i have bought any 22 ammo.  i refuse to pay the high price for it.  glad i had some on hand before the madness hit.  

Minus a couple boxes of mag. I lucked up on, I haven't brought any .22 in over a year as well.