Ammo hoarders spooked???

Dustbuster

The WalMart at Nolensville Rd and Old Hickory Boulevard had an all-you-can-eat buffet of Federal 9mm the other evening when I was in there. They probably had 300 boxes on the shelves. And almost that many boxes of .45acp.

that's the nearest walmart to me. i was in there early last week and they had about 100 of the federal 9mm. i wonder if the same boxes have been on the shelf for two weeks now?

Don't get me wrong, I think the resellers ought to go stand in a fire somewhere, but why are people still buying ammo/hunting for ammo at walmart?  I haven't bought ammo from a local brick and mortar store in almost two years.  I buy all of mine in bulk usually from a small handful of different vendors online and I still come out way ahead of what wally world charges for it.  That's not to say that the online places don't also run out at times but most places have email/text alerts when things come into stock and its as easy as reaching for my cell phone to buy cases of whatever it is.  Just seems foreign to me in this day and age to go driving store to store locally to look for ammo.  Am I way off base here?

Please tell me what stores online you are using? All the ones I've see are more expensive  than Wal-Mart or Academy. Heck, Academy had the cheapest .223 by far at $5.99/20 for Tula Steel case. Can't find ANYWHERE that's cheaper than that. Of course, I gotta get an upper for my lower first:)

....Academy had the cheapest .223 by far at $5.99/20 for Tula Steel case. Can't find ANYWHERE that's cheaper than that.

Just for the record, I bought Tula .223 at the Maryville Wally yesterday for 5.37 (including the .10 ammo tax). Plus sales tax of course, which I assume was added to the Academy price also.

Could only get 3 boxes though.

I did buy a thousand rounds of Monarch .223 from an Academy, in boxes of 20 ea.,  back around xmas, though, for cheaper than than any bulk deal I could find on line.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
One thing that might stop all of this is folks selling their extra ammo, or buying it when we see it and list it on the sites for what we bought them for. Cheap ammo hitting the market will drive the resalers to either lower their price or not sell.

When we make it not worth their efforts they will stop. We'll drive them out of the market like walmart put out of business all the mom and pop stores!!!

This my friends will turn things in a week or two at the latest.

Flyboy

One thing that might stop all of this is folks selling their extra ammo, or buying it when we see it and list it on the sites for what we bought them for. Cheap ammo hitting the market will drive the resalers to either lower their price or not sell.

When we make it not worth their efforts they will stop. We'll drive them out of the market like walmart put out of business all the mom and pop stores!!!

This my friends will turn things in a week or two at the latest.

Flyboy

So whatcha got for sale?  Hmmm? :)

- OS

that's the nearest walmart to me. i was in there early last week and they had about 100 of the federal 9mm. i wonder if the same boxes have been on the shelf for two weeks now?

I've seen the same ammo sit in the MTSU Walmart for a week or more. The weather is seeming to have a lot to do with it to because every time I'm in there that it's warm the ammo is a bit thinner but usually on a day like today there's plenty there for someone wishing to shoot the next day. Maybe I just happen to walk in at the right times but since they put their ammo out at 7/7:30am and it's usually afternoon or night time when I make it through I doubt it's my timing.
Sunday afternoon when I cruised through I heard one that I haven't heard in a while, "the reason folks are buying so much is because they are going to start making the ammo with an expiration date so that you can use it after a year" this came from the young lady working the sporting goods register and the two groups standing in front of her were soaking it up. I wish these folks would ask themselves "how?" Because surely that would tip them off that they are being lied to unless the expiration date is like a gun buster sign and has magical powers that stop people from doing what it warns against.
The people you saw at the counter may have been ammo bitches. remember they will do anything to get an unfair advantage to buy ammo so no one else can. Even if it means admitting to Believing a BS story from a Walmart employee,they will agree because they don't want to step on the hand that feeds them their ammo. Little beotches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Never, ever listen to what comes out of the mouth of a WalMart ammo counter clerk unless it's "have a nice day".  I've heard enough ignorant BS from those people I can almost guarantee many probably have difficulty spelling their own names.

• Like 1

I hear that expiring ammo thing every few years.  During shortages and right after elections.

At gun shows they sell it as pre expiring ammo

Well, actually, the WinClean and other "green" varieties without heavy metals in the primers apparently really do "expire".

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Do they have an expiration date on the box?

I don't think so, they just crap out when they want do. :)

Don't know if there's more than anecdotal evidence on it so far, haven't kept up with it, but seems it's widespread enough to believe.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Please tell me what stores online you are using? All the ones I've see are more expensive  than Wal-Mart or Academy. Heck, Academy had the cheapest .223 by far at $5.99/20 for Tula Steel case. Can't find ANYWHERE that's cheaper than that. Of course, I gotta get an upper for my lower first:)

I'm signed up just about everywhere including Cabela's, Midway, Aimsurplus, Luckygunner, Wideners, SgAmmo, USACsales and a few others too.  By signed up I mean mailing lists, facebook pages, twitter, you name it.  I have several alerts set up for email on slickguns that spam me everytime a deal is posted where a certain caliber is below a certain cents per round.  Steelcased .223 can be found in a lot of places for .28/.29 a round.  I walked into a Murfreesboro show a few months ago and picked up a case from an ammo seller there of .223 tulammo 55gr for .29/round out the door.  I'll concede that .22lr is still hard to come by currently but just about everything else has been in stock around the net a ton of times and with free shipping in some cases.  I also watch the forums here as well as ar15.com, akfiles.net, and theakforum.net for people selling ammo.  Back in the summer I picked up two cases of 5.45 from a lady in Brentwood who was advertising on akfiles; she was getting rid of her 5.45 ar upper and was offloading all of her 5.45 for super cheap.  Also, the CMP is still great for .30-06 as well.  

Actually as I write this lanbo's armory has steel cased .223 by the case for .24 per round.  Better move fast though - you're welcome..

http://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?referrer=cnwr_4191340829622&main_page=product_info&products_id=2207

I was there on Thursday night and there was no 9mm.  Lots of .40S&W 100 round bulk packs, .45 ACP, 38 Special and 223.  Even some 357 Sig.  I haven't seen 9mm there in a long time. 

Good ammo never expires,especially the haribo sugar free gummi bear ammo. It's the sheet!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

I have a soft spot for gummy bears! It just happens to be in a molar located in the bottom right side of my mouth... 

I think from here on out anytime I hear someone spreading that BS about ammo expiration dates i'm going to give them my address and volunteer to have them ship all expired ammo to me for safe disposal.

[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1107831" timestamp="1391835208"]I saw a box of .38 Super at a Wally yesterday, first one I've [i]ever[/i] noticed at [i]any[/i] of them. - OS[/quote] Noticed the other day that my local Wally actually had several boxes of factory 300BLK on the shelf. Maybe I just hadn't noticed before, but I don't remember seeing it there previously.
Heck, last time I was in Old Fort Walmart, they had American Eagle .50BMG on the shelf.

According to Winchester, their "WinClean" and other ammo with lead free primers does expire after 1-2 years. After that time, it may or may not fire due to the primers deteriorating. They just dont have the technology to manufacture lead free primers that last forever.

I haven't said this in awhile, and I know that I am not main stream, but this 22LR ammo thingy has not effected me one bit, in fact, I love to read about the 22LR ammo rants and on occasion participate in the threads, I find it all entertaining.  I was prepared before 2013, and I am still prepared now.  Now I have been tempted to cash in, but then I would be like the rest of you that got caught with your pants down.  When this thing is all over, slowly build you a 5 or 10+ year supply.   Don't buy ammo like tomorrow is the last day or I will probably never shoot again.  Honestly, my kids probably will not have to buy ammo either if you know what I mean.  I am not just talking 22LR either.

• Like 1

Like Runco, I had me a small pile of .22.  I could go shoot, but kinda holding it until it is replaceable..

other then .22 I had started working on getting a min of 1,000 rounds of everything I shoot.   I had over done that with .22 but I was still working up others.