How to properly peel a Banana and eat an Apple...

Guest TankerHC

I've never really struggled peeling a banana from the stem and i'm not eating an apple core and seeds. I have heard and tried peeling a banana that way, it doesn't always work that good. Maybe monkeys have been doing it wrong for a million years and it took us humans to do it right. :)
  • Like 5

I've never really struggled peeling a banana from the stem and i'm not eating an apple core and seeds. I have heard and tried peeling a banana that way, it doesn't always work that good. Maybe monkeys have been doing it wrong for a million years and it took us humans to do it right. :)

I agree completely. 

Also never had trouble opening a Banana.

As for an apple, pocket knifes make quick work of them and you waste less.

• Like 3
  • Moderators

Whenever we make smoothies we just use the entire apple. The Vitamix blends them so smooth you'd never know whether or not you used the core and seeds. Eating the entire apple like they show seems odd but I am going to try it when I get home.

Guest TankerHC

I dont know. Im pretty much with K19, I can eat an entire apple, I just dont consider the core to be an edible part. When that guy turns that apple around it doesnt appear to have a core. And there used to be (Dont know if they still grow them, they were expensive to grow) coreless, seedless apples.

• Moderators

Ok. Just ate an apple the way it was shown. If you start from the bottom as shown and then eat your way up, you can eat the entire thing and it isn't weird. The "core" gets "mixed" in with the "meat" of the apple and it is in no way weird. The whole thing was easily edible and as a bonus the seeds are probably really good for you anyway.

Off to look for a banana!

• Like 1

I've always eaten my bananas that way for two reasons.  One you get to use mother natures carry handle, the stem.  And two you don't get the banana strings, those pesky banana string thingies that you have to peal off the side of the banana. 

.....and as a bonus the seeds are probably really good for you anyway.

Meh.  Apple seeds contain a cyanide compound that can cause problems.  Granted you would have to eat a lot of apple seeds to be in any danger, but why risk it.  I eat the whole apple all the time, core included, by slicing the apple, but I pick out the seeds.

• Like 2

Me neither,  but your both still doing it wrong. 

*you're

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

Ok. Just ate an apple the way it was shown. If you start from the bottom as shown and then eat your way up, you can eat the entire thing and it isn't weird. The "core" gets "mixed" in with the "meat" of the apple and it is in no way weird. The whole thing was easily edible and as a bonus the seeds are probably really good for you anyway.

Off to look for a banana!

I don't think the seeds have any nutritional value at all. In fact, they contain trace amounts of cyanide, so probably just the opposite. Your body can easily process the small amounts in them, so it's not toxic to humans.

A friend of mine showed me this method of shucking corn. I've been using it ever since, and it works great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juE7jmEm0H4

I like this. It would be a PITA to do a large meal, but for the average family it'd be great!

The very "bottom" of the banana is often a bit woody and not pleasant. I usually leave it. I always seem to have enough thumbnail to score the stem to allow it to peel back easily in any case.

I also agree with Mike about the handles on an apple and I usually stop at the core because of the hard bits around the seeds. The core usually contains less flavor in any case.

• 4 months later...