Global Warming Alert

The Washington Post

The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and
in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report
to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consulafft, at Bergen , Norway.

Reports from fishermen,
seal hunters, and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions
and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration
expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81
degrees 29 minutes.

Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still
very warm. Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and
stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have
entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic,
while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far
north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds. Within a
few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make
most coastal cities uninhabitable.

I apologize, I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The
Washington Post - 90+ years ago.
  • Like 6

I quite vividly remember a couple of decades ago (at least) that the cover of either Time or Newsweek or Scientific American or Discovery (can't remember which publication but those were the ones I read regularly and had subscriptions to) was an artist's rendering showing NYC with an ocean liner floating by the Empire State Building because of the polar ice caps melting which would raise the ocean by some ungodly amount of feet.

That was suppose to happen by the year 2000 unless we did something immediately!

Well, I haven't been to NYC in quite a long time but as far as I know the ocean liners and other shipping still have to tie up at the docks. LOL

• Like 1

We know it is about moving money from one pocket to some that dont have enough.

Natural gas and propane are going up in price as coal is being phased out because it is to dirty, MY BIG OL BUTT!!!

The coal burners are getting it cleaner every year, now they are told to catch Co2 from the stacks.

The proses has not be invented yet, how the hell ya catch something when there is no technology to do so?

I can remember when it was "global cooling" that was gona be the end of all of us.

Global Warming = biggest Ponzi scheme to date place on the people of America and America's industries. It has been gouging the pockets of Americans and American Industry for far to long. Once Al Gore could no longer scream Global Warming he gave it a new title and called it Global Change. Hell I learned about Global change back in 6th grade Science class. The has always been global change and there always will be if we parked every car and truck on earth and rode horses and bicycles for the next 100 years the earth will still change. Man has not done much of anything here on the earth itself to cause Global Changes. Now with that said note I said here on Earth in my last sentence. Now there is things being done off the earth that could very well be aiding in some changes. Things like punching how many 1000 of holes in the Earths atmosphere while exploring things and building things and sending tons and tons of junk into space just to have some of it from time to time fall back to earth. I do not believe that my jeeps tail pipe is doing the damage that the Space Shuttle did while busting in and out poking big holes in the Earths Atmosphere. They will never convince me that my jeeps tail pipe created that big hole in the Earths Ozone or my wife's can of hair spray did it or the RF12 Freon in my cars A/C unit caused it. Every time they need to blame something to cover their "BUTTS" for damage they have done we are blamed for it and we suffer for it. Honestly how many people here cares anything about that little taxpayer financed 5 million dollar rover wandering around on Mars surface that cost another 5 million to get it there paid for with taxpayer dollars???? Not counting all the peoples wages that are being paid just to read the data the mechanical rodent is sending back to earth while we have people going hungry every day in this country. I for one could get a RATS BUTT what is going on up on MARS or the MOON for that fact!!!!  I could go on but I think folks see my point so I wil get off my soap box and shut up.............jmho

Glad I'm not alone on this. Climate is something that will take centuries for scientists to understand at the current rate. Too many neglected or belittled variables. Sent from somewhere in the cosmos using magic...and bacon.

A little more info on the article...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/science/globalwarming1922.asp

Admittedly, Snopes is a liberal biased site, which isn't normally a problem since they still tend to stick to the facts, as in this case.  Problem is, at the bottom they reference the incident as being a local event, unlike current data that suggests anthropogenic global warming.  Once again, liberal bias thrown in there.  How the blue #### could they know this was only localized if they had no way to gather widespread data like they can today?  Obviously there was an unprecendented warming event in the region; what's to say that wasn't going on throughout the arctic?  It would be difficult to tell since there weren't too many folks hanging around there back then, and there wasn't the amount of data collection points like they have now.  Crap, they had to send someone there to a specific area just to get the readings they got.  What if they had sent that dude to a thousand different spots around the arctic?  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it probably wasn't localized, and the fact that Snopes would toss that in there to suggest that there is evidence that it was makes the site itself unreliable.  They could have just said nothing at all, or said "it is unknown if the phenomenon was localized." 

That's the reason why stories like this are used to debunk the relatively short term data they have to establish long term climate trends.  Just rediculous.  I'll believe that man-made global warming is real as soon as there are people who aren't trying to lie to me and misrepresent data in order to get me to believe it.  The fact that they have to do that tells me everything I need to know.  Now, I'm gonna go out and drive a tank that gets 1 mile to the gallon, then wipe my butt with a spotted owl.  Why?  Because hippies are full of ####!

Admittedly, Snopes is a liberal biased site, which isn't normally a problem since they still tend to stick to the facts, as in this case.  Problem is, at the bottom they reference the incident as being a local event, unlike current data that suggests anthropogenic global warming.  Once again, liberal bias thrown in there.  How the blue #### could they know this was only localized if they had no way to gather widespread data like they can today?  Obviously there was an unprecendented warming event in the region; what's to say that wasn't going on throughout the arctic?  It would be difficult to tell since there weren't too many folks hanging around there back then, and there wasn't the amount of data collection points like they have now.  Crap, they had to send someone there to a specific area just to get the readings they got.  What if they had sent that dude to a thousand different spots around the arctic?  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it probably wasn't localized, and the fact that Snopes would toss that in there to suggest that there is evidence that it was makes the site itself unreliable.  They could have just said nothing at all, or said "it is unknown if the phenomenon was localized." 

That's the reason why stories like this are used to debunk the relatively short term data they have to establish long term climate trends.  Just rediculous.  I'll believe that man-made global warming is real as soon as there are people who aren't trying to lie to me and misrepresent data in order to get me to believe it.  The fact that they have to do that tells me everything I need to know.  Now, I'm gonna go out and drive a tank that gets 1 mile to the gallon, then wipe my butt with a spotted owl.  Why?  Because hippies are full of ####!

I know they're biased. That's why I just added the link. Whether there are any real trends or not, their predictions haven't come through. Still, the tards will do something to damage the economy on a regular basis to fight it. So, my basic attitude is...

Prius2_zpsdd237f50.jpg

• Like 1
Ha, that's what I find so funny about their handling of this urban legend. On one hand the validate, because they have to, but in the same article used to validate it they try to invalidate it. So they're trying to debunk actual truth. Oh the irony. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ha, that's what I find so funny about their handling of this urban legend. On one hand the validate, because they have to, but in the same article used to validate it they try to invalidate it. So they're trying to debunk actual truth. Oh the irony. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just took it that the 1922 article wasn't part of the official global tree huggin' movement. Here's the real scientific fact... Democrats suck at any kind of extrapolation. By now, the real numbers should be way off Algore's curve. If we could only get our hands on the real numbers...

Edited by mikegideon

Only in the northern hemisphere. So it's actually hemispherical warming. ;)

AHHHH, NOOOOOO!  Not that!  I heard about this "hemispherical warming".... it's because of all the industrial pollution in the northern hemisphere (China/US).  Need proof?  Just look at how cool it is in Australia this summer compared to how hot it is in the US.  Global warming is coming to get us!  WE DIDN'T LISTEN!!!