Advocare :rant:

Advocare is a company that sells healthcare supplements.  It's basically a pyramid scheme.  I have several friends that sell the stuff.  These people are quickly falling into the category of people who I don't consider to be friends anymore.  Seems I'm constantly getting phone calls, e-mails, etc. to give it a try and come sell it.  I have one person who I considered a pretty good friend who I now don't even want to be around because he can't manage to have a conversation without talking about it.  Ironically I eat mostly organic foods and I'm pretty picky about what I consume, basically if I can't readily pronounce it and know exactly what it is I don't eat it and Advocare products have a lot of those things.  Anyone else run into this?

Guest TresOsos

I don't anymore...if someone apporaches me about Amway or whatever, I tell them politely once, I'm not interested.

If they bother me a second time I tell them rather forcefully, I told you once I'm not interest, now **** OFF, amazingly I generally never hear from them again.

Edited by TresOsos

And yet another pyramid scheme. I bet I've seen at least a dozen of these over the years. Just say no. If they are actually worthy of being your friend thy will get over this stupidity and come back to their senses. If not then just move on.

It is what it is.

I really don't have any reason to believe the products they sell don't work. They're probably as good as any supplement and better than others. But damn do I get tired of hearing about them. I have close friends that sell it also and they've tried to get my wife and I into it. Mainly my wife because they know I ain't doing it. I build roads I don't sell supplements! If I wanted to I'd put an app in at GNC.
I understated how good of friends we are, we're really good friends. I would have said best friends. But it's changed. The constant talk of it all seems pretty disingenuous at this point. It annoys me. But hey maybe they just don't need friends like me.
Guest TresOsos

Do you have a few minutes to hear about the Church of Scientology? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very politely..."I'm not interested".

[quote name="sigmtnman" post="1134189" timestamp="1396668917"]You've seen their headquarters on the way to clearwater beach I imagine. [/quote] I have not, but I've only been to Clearwater a couple times in the past decade. New Port Richey area is just so much nicer :) Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And it's not a pyramid. And even if it was every job is structured as a pyramid. With bosses and CEOs, etc. Least that's how I overheard it stated to my wife's cousin.

Stated by an Advocare pusher no doubt.

Of course it is a pyramid, plus MLM,  just like Amway and any number of lesser known ones, in that more people can make more money by enlisting other "distributors" than by selling the actual products. People just paying the sign up fee, the money filters up the pyramid regardless of whether any products are actually sold or not.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

Stated by an Advocare pusher no doubt.

Of course it is a pyramid, plus MLM,  just like Amway and any number of lesser known ones, in that more people can make more money by enlisting other "distributors" than by selling the actual products. People just paying the sign up fee, the money filters up the pyramid regardless of whether any products are actually sold or not.

- OS

This is true.  One of my wife's step-sister's sells the stuff.  We took the free samples she gave us.  It was ok ... I mean as "ok" as artificially flavored fruit powder can be.  

It sure doesn't beat my steak and bourbon though ... although I probably won't loose much weight on this diet.  As far as the pyramid scheme thing goes, she hates to admit it, but when I called her on it, she had to say "yea, ok, it kind of is, but I still believe in the product." 

10ring, I think we might know the same guy. I used to talk to him about once or twice a week. It tapered off a little right before he started Advocare and know I get 2-3 calls a day from him. He always wants me to go out to a "lunch" with him. I am like you I don't put a lot of processed foods in my body. If it were not for soda I would be doing a great job at it. My friend knows this and he still thinks advocare would be a great thing for me. I will admit he has lost a bunch of weight and overall looks to be healthier than I have ever seen him. I just do not have the time or desire to be a part of it and he just does not understand.

Definitely a pyramid scheme.  The wife and I are at the distributor level but I have honestly never asked anyone to buy anything, we just did the math and it saved us money to get the 40% discount.  I took it all for a while and honestly its no better or worse than any other diet product out there.  I pretty much stopped using any of it a few months back when I found out that most of the products are full of sucralose, an artificial sweetener that is terrible for you.  The only product I currently use is the Spark drink mix because it helped me kick my Soda/Energy drink habit.  

Is this something that is prevalent in the law enforcement community? The buddy I know that drank the advocare Kool Aid is a cop. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not that I am aware of, we heard about it from a friend of my wife who is now making quite a bit of money off of it.  I am indifferent about the product, I only use it to get some caffeine in my body that isn't carbonated.  I don't really like coffee so I like it.  The Spark is like high octane Tang, sounds nasty I know. 

I get hit up all the time with the latest, "been big in Europe for years, just making it to the US" great program. I have developed a good response to those folks. I tell them "I will let you be the guinea pig on this. If a year from now you are still in it I will take a closer look at your program." This takes care of a couple of things. 1. You are not saying no, I am all for people trying to better their life and I do not want to discourage them. 2.I have yet to hear back from anybody a year later. Most do not stay in those programs that long. No to a MLM'er just means you need more information. So you will continue to hear more about it.

Just something that works for me.

Definitely a pyramid scheme. The wife and I are at the distributor level but I have honestly never asked anyone to buy anything, we just did the math and it saved us money to get the 40% discount. I took it all for a while and honestly its no better or worse than any other diet product out there. I pretty much stopped using any of it a few months back when I found out that most of the products are full of sucralose, an artificial sweetener that is terrible for you. The only product I currently use is the Spark drink mix because it helped me kick my Soda/Energy drink habit.

I actually got told I should quit drinking coffee because its bad for me??? I replied "you do know there ain't no such thing as a Spark tree don't you? I think I'm good."