So .... Who's complaining ....

My condolences to the family, but they need to get their heads out of their asses.

This is above and beyond "out of character behavior". It would be "out of character" for me to show up at work tomorrow hungover. When you engage in life threatening behavior you can't cry foul when your life is threatened in response.

Trying to make someone pay financially for justifiably defending themselves is just nothing more than opportunistic greed. If they really wanted to make a positive difference in the community they should focus on why "a good 'respectful' kid" would resort to armed robbery and not on disarming the people said kid is terrorizing. Edited by TrickyNicky
  • Like 6

"...sharp, funny, respectable all the time...just a good boy."

Good, respectable boys don't walk into a WH, or any other place, with drawn weapon with intent to rob. Period.

Yep Choir boy and alter boy at the local church and straight A honor roll student and all around good boy that every one liked. I bet the folks in the WH didn't like him and we know for sure one didn't. In all honesty God Willing the second one would not have got away either if it were me and within my power to prevent him from getting away. They say never point your gun at someone if your not going to shoot them and according to the news video he had his gun pointed at the guy and was trying hold him there but the guy escaped. A hunk of hot lead would have kept him there.................jmho

"...sharp, funny, respectable all the time...just a good boy."

Good, respectable boys don't walk into a WH, or any other place, with drawn weapon with intent to rob. Period.

Pretty much the same web of lies that all these media outlets try to play, "He was just a misguided youth and didn't mean any harm." Really? Then why did he have a firearm? Ridiculous behavior can have equal results.

I bet if any of us did this "out of character" behavior, the same fate would fall up on us. This makes no since, you dont do anything with a firearm without and intent and purpose. Careless accidents happen, thats a know issue. But robing an establishment at gun point, that is no "out of character". 

Poor criminal family, of course they'll sue.
Slime balls don't seem to have a problem with their punk robbing people at gunpoint.

I don't know if they are a "criminal family", but even if it was out of character, that young man made a poor decision and it cost him his life. I've argued before about the face that young people put on for family and the face that they have for their peers. Peer pressure will get you killed.

If it were my kid, I'd be on television saying the same thing. It was out of character for my kid, but he committed a crime and has to pay the price. Edited by LINKS2K
  • Like 1
Guest Lowbuster
Same tune played over again. I was raised up fine and what not, the same as some of you why don't we rob places? People need to wake up and take responsibility for their actions and stop making excuses for those who do wrong. If you do any crime with a gun, you should be ready to be met with equal force.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. 

If the family think this attempted robbery was out of character, clearly they didn't know their son's character very well.

We were all teens once, and I have raised three teens of my own. I can assure that my family got my best behavior and my friends knew the worst of me. Had I gotten into trouble or killed for the things that my family knew nothing about, they would have said the same things about me. "Those actions were out of character for sweet, angelic, God fearing and hard working student LINKS2K", and from their perspective, they would have been telling the truth.

I'm fortunate to have lived several decades beyond the ignorance of my youth. I am also glad that I recognize that good families can produce bad kids. The family didn't plan the robbery. The young man got what he paid for.
  • Like 2

One of my grand sons got busted for possession of drugs for Resale 3 weeks ago. He called me to see about getting him an attorney and a bondsman to get him out of jail. He got out of jail after he went up in front of the judge and the judge appointed him a  public defender. I found out he called his father first and his father(my Son) told him the same thing I did. I have spoke with his public defender and the judge in the county because i know them both. This his first arrest and I asked the judge and public defender to negotiate a plea bargain that will keep him out of jail but sentence him to 5 to 10 years and put him on a ten year probation and make it very clear to him that if he even sneezes and breaks a law he does the 5 to 10 for Probation violation. His father and I both told him he was hanging with the wrong people and it went in one ear and out the other. The judge is also going to inform him that he can violate if he is caught up in any crime that he could be guilty by association which would violate his probation. If his father and I cannot keep hm from associating with trash maybe the judge can. I have a policy I live by and have for most of my adult life and that is,  " No mercy for self inflicted injuries" and by not learning by your mistakes and repeating them is self inflicted.............jmho 

• Like 2

Pretty much the same web of lies that all these media outlets try to play, "He was just a misguided youth and didn't mean any harm." Really? Then why did he have a firearm?...

And why does legally owning and carrying firearms automatically turn us into bloodthirsty vigilantes, to hear the media tell it, but people who are illegally carrying firearms and using them in criminal activities are often presented as 'good kids who wouldn't hurt a fly' and 'victims of circumstance'?  My favorite is, "He just fell in with the wrong people."  Well, all the other folks in his group would probably say the same thing - meaning sooner or later some of them didn't 'fall in' with the wrong people but, instead, are the 'wrong people'.  To me, someone who walks into a restaurant and points a gun at the customers and staff without provocation is one of the 'wrong people' no matter how deep his family shoves their heads in the sand in claiming he was a 'good boy.'

We were all teens once, and I have raised three teens of my own. I can assure that my family got my best behavior and my friends knew the worst of me. Had I gotten into trouble or killed for the things that my family knew nothing about, they would have said the same things about me. "Those actions were out of character for sweet, angelic, God fearing and hard working student LINKS2K", and from their perspective, they would have been telling the truth.

Sure, your family might see your best behavior while your friends and peers see your worst.  Still, I would warrant that there are few among us whose 'worst' behavior meant armed robbery and the like.  Maybe some stupid pranks or even some mildly delinquent behavior, sure, but threatening strangers with a firearm and armed robbery go a ways beyond 'youthful indescretion'.  Even if the family really had no idea that the teen would be capable of such a thing, the very fact that he was committing this crime in the first place should be enough to illustrate for the family that their perspective of the kid was not the truth.  This incident, alone, should illustrate for them that he wasn't the 'good boy' they thought he was.

Of course, the family isn't willing to admit that he might not be the perfect, little gentleman they claim:

McSwain admits that Williams made a mistake that night, but says his actions were out of character.

I hate statements like that.  Putting your underwear on backward by mistake is a 'mistake'.  Mistakenly picking up the wrong set of keys on your way out the door is a 'mistake'.  Walking out of a restaurant without paying because you really, truly (but mistakenly) forgot that you hadn't already paid is a mistake.  Walking into a business with an illegally possessed, loaded firearm, terrorizing the staff and customers and attempting to commit armed robbery is not a damn mistake.  You don't mistakenly walk into a restaurant waving a gun around and threatening people.  The only 'mistake' he made was in the victim selection process.  There is no, "Oops - where did this gun come from?  I didn't mean for all you folks to be down on the floor," here.  He did it on purpose and he died for it.  No further details (or CCW training) needed.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 3

One of my grand sons got busted for possession of drugs for Resale 3 weeks ago. He called me to see about getting him an attorney and a bondsman to get him out of jail. He got out of jail after he went up in front of the judge and the judge appointed him a  public defender. I found out he called his father first and his father(my Son) told him the same thing I did. I have spoke with his public defender and the judge in the county because i know them both. This his first arrest and I asked the judge and public defender to negotiate a plea bargain that will keep him out of jail but sentence him to 5 to 10 years and put him on a ten year probation and make it very clear to him that if he even sneezes and breaks a law he does the 5 to 10 for Probation violation. His father and I both told him he was hanging with the wrong people and it went in one ear and out the other. The judge is also going to inform him that he can violate if he is caught up in any crime that he could be guilty by association which would violate his probation. If his father and I cannot keep hm from associating with trash maybe the judge can. I have a policy I live by and have for most of my adult life and that is,  " No mercy for self inflicted injuries" and by not learning by your mistakes and repeating them is self inflicted.............jmho

Thanks for sharing this story with us. This story in a small way proves the point that I'm attempting to make. The family can be salt of the earth people, and if a young person makes stupid life altering decisions the family shouldn't be condemned.

And why does legally owning and carrying firearms automatically turn us into bloodthirsty vigilantes, to hear the media tell it, but people who are illegally carrying firearms and using them in criminal activities are often presented as 'good kids who wouldn't hurt a fly' and 'victims of circumstance'?  My favorite is, "He just fell in with the wrong people."  Well, all the other folks in his group would probably say the same thing - meaning sooner or later some of them didn't 'fall in' with the wrong people but, instead, are the 'wrong people'.  To me, someone who walks into a restaurant and points a gun at the customers and staff without provocation is one of the 'wrong people' no matter how deep his family shoves their heads in the sand in claiming he was a 'good boy.'

Sure, your family might see your best behavior while your friends and peers see your worst.  Still, I would warrant that there are few among us whose 'worst' behavior meant armed robbery and the like.  Maybe some stupid pranks or even some mildly delinquent behavior, sure, but threatening strangers with a firearm and armed robbery go a ways beyond 'youthful indescretion'.  Even if the family really had no idea that the teen would be capable of such a thing, the very fact that he was committing this crime in the first place should be enough to illustrate for the family that their perspective of the kid was not the truth.

Further, the fact that he was threatening people at gunpoint and attempting an armed robber should be enough to illustrate for the family that their previously held perspective was wrong.  This incident should illustrate for them that he wasn't the 'good boy' they thought he was.

Of course, the family isn't willing to admit that he might not be the perfect, little gentleman they claim:

I hate statements like that.  Putting your underwear on backward by mistake is a 'mistake'.  Mistakenly picking up the wrong set of keys on your way out the door is a 'mistake'.  Walking out of a restaurant without paying because you really, truly forgot is a mistake.  Walking into a business with an illegally possessed, loaded firearm, terrorizing the staff and customers and attempting to commit armed robbery is not a damn mistake.  You don't mistakenly walk into a restaurant waving a gun around and threatening people.  The only 'mistake' he made was in the victim selection process.  There is no, "Oops - where did this gun come from?  I didn't mean for all you folks to be down on the floor," here.  He did it on purpose and he died for it.  No further details (or CCW training) needed.

You make good points. I have no problems with the shoot and I believe the the robber caused his own demise. My only point is that I don't think that the family should be condemned because a young man made a stupid life ending decision. They are simply speaking about the character that the robber displayed to them. If it were my son, I would be shocked and defensive also, but I would also have to come to terms that I really didn't know my son. Have a good day!
  • Like 1

The family can be salt of the earth people, and if a young person makes stupid life altering decisions the family shouldn't be condemned.

I do agree with that.  I am not someone who automatically thinks that the family is necessarily to blame for bad seeds.  I have a couple of cousins who are brothers.  They are very close in age, were raised in the same house with the same parents.  One is a 'regular', working guy.  The other is a meth-head who has been in prison and has a couple of kids by different moms and, apparently, doesn't do much to take care of either of them. 

My paternal grandfather was pretty big into going to 'trade days' (the term folks used to use for what are now commonly called 'flea markets'.)  He would set up a booth at various trade days and largely bought/sold/traded knives, especially pocket knives and most especially Case pocket knives.  He showed me part of his collection (of, probably, hundreds of knives) once - there were some nice and even a few rare ones among them.  He also had a few handguns (this was back when it still wasn't uncommon to see handguns bought and sold at trade days.)  Well, when he died my aunt (the mother of the two cousins mentioned, above) took his van to her house so it would be 'safe'.  The idea was that, eventually, all of his sons would get one of his handguns and all of his grandsons would get at least one of his nicer pocket knives.  Well, 'someone' broke in to the van - in her yard - and stole the whole kit and kaboodle.  Guess who most of the family figure did it?  Yep, I and most of the rest of us figure my cousin stole it all and sold/pawned it for drug money.  So if I were being interviewed after the death of my cousin in an incident like that in the OP, my response would be, "I'm sorry those folks had to go through that and am glad no one else got hurt."  Heck, I might even be tempted to offer to pay for the CCW holder's next meal at Waffle House. 

I know of too many, other examples where one or even several siblings is/are a good person/good people while one is a hellion to think that a bad person automatically equals a bad family.

That said, for a family to come out after one of their members has, beyond a doubt, attempted to commit armed robbery and refuse to see that their family member wasn't the 'good boy' they may have thought he was and for that family to want to blame the victim of their family member's crime is definitely telling.  For them to act like the CCW holder was wrong to defend himself and others against an armed robber says, to me, that in the least his family probably 'enabled' his behavior by making excuses and blaming others for his misdeeds throughout his formative years.  I mean, if I walk up and slap you and my family tries to claim I somehow 'mistakenly' slapped you and then tries to claim it was at least partially your fault for putting your face in my way then I think the family does share some of the blame.

Edited by JAB

I think there are many times that the parents know that they have a problem child and may be ashamed to admit it and by trying to build that person up what they are really doing is trying to take the blame off of them and putting it on anything other then themselves. People would think more highly of them if they would just admit they had a problem child but they don't look at it that way. Trevon Martin was a problem child and the only reason he was in Florida living with his father it because he got kicked out of school for causing trouble. Yet when he got killed in a clear case of self defense it almost cause a national incident because his family refused to admit he was not the innocent little boy they showed in the pictures from years earlier. I will never understand this type of attitude by people but all my family members know, if they get in trouble from bad self inflicted decisions there is no mercy coming from me for their actions.............jmho   I call it Tough Love!!

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1

My condolences to the family, but they need to get their heads out of their asses.

This is above and beyond "out of character behavior". It would be "out of character" for me to show up at work tomorrow hungover. When you engage in life threatening behavior you can't cry foul when your life is threatened in response.

Trying to make someone pay financially for justifiably defending themselves is just nothing more than opportunistic greed. If they really wanted to make a positive difference in the community they should focus on why "a good 'respectful' kid" would resort to armed robbery and not on disarming the people said kid is terrorizing.

Civil actions "on contigientcy fee" basis are nothing but greed....everyone wants to get paid.....even though they don't deserve it. It's all about the money.....