One night in Birmingham Al, what shouldn't I miss?

I am going to have have about an evening in Birmingham hanging out with a guy from work while our wife's are at a concert.  If I only have time for 1 thing, what should I do?

I am going to be pretty much in the center of town, but I am not opposed to getting a cab if needed.

If Music, I prefer country.

Guest Lester Weevils

If you don't have time to eat BBQ at the Golden Rule, go by on the way out of town and get some for the road.

There's one thing I like, can't quite remember the name of it, but it is tough hard chip-cuts of outside meat at least half charcoal, and get their hot sauce to dip it in. They say carbonized meat gives you stomach cancer, though.

The Vulcan is kind of cool. Sloss furnace is supposed to be cool, though I've never been there. As far as restaurants, Slice, Café DuPont, and Saw's BBQ are good and close to downtown.

What concert are they going to see?

a friend of mine owns a restaraunt there called The Ridge Eat and Drink. Best burgers you'll find anywhere I guarantee it. Plus he encourages carry in his place. Hes a fellow competitive shooter. great food, great atmosphere and good people
  • Like 1

There's a great restaurant called Dram. As in a dram of whiskey. If you have time though during the day, the Barber Motorsports Museum is an absolute must see. Four floors of motorcycle and motorsports history.

Yes, the Barber museum is a must see.

Believe it or not, You guys have given me some strange ideas.  I am going to have to make a list of a few of these and twist them.'

It certainly doesn't like like anything I would do in Nashville.

Edited by vontar
[quote name="vontar" post="1153063" timestamp="1401331114"]Believe it or not, You guys have given me some strange ideas. I am going to have to make a list of a few of these and twist them.' It certainly doesn't like like anything I would do in Nashville.[/quote] While I was being mostly sarcastic with my post, there was a truly cool thing about the junk yard I was referring to. They had a front end loader they used to move the cars, or what used to be cars. Instead of a bucket on front it had 2 forks around 12-14 feet long they would use to slide up under the whole car longways to move it around. Brought the truck I bought right out the gate and sat it on my trailer. Not something I'd go back to see, but just to let you know I wasn't being a complete goober

Another vote for the Golden Rule BBQ... We used to railfan down there in the late nineties and early two thousands at Irondale and around the USX plant in Fairfield... All in all, it aint too bad in daylight; but we never stayed in Birmingham proper... As others have opined; carry your CCW tools....

leroy

Believe it or not, You guys have given me some strange ideas.  I am going to have to make a list of a few of these and twist them.'

It certainly doesn't like like anything I would do in Nashville.

Nothing about Birmingham is like Nashville. :rofl: