Go heavy...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Gotthegoods" post="1160509" timestamp="1403205577"]...in .22lr??? Just found 2 boxes of Aquila 60gr (yes you read that right, 60gr) .22lr Not sure where or when I bought it, price on box of 50 = 4.99 What "extra" do you get with this "heavyweight" round? Thanks![/quote] Nothing extra, just subsonic. Play quiet ;)

have not seen that in a while, all they seem to have atm is the powderless stuff which wont cycle autos.

It gives up velocity, which a standard .22 has plenty of, to gain mass, which standard 22 lacks.  This probably gives you slightly better penetration in larger/thicker targets.  it also may tumble, depending on how it hits, what it hits, and how fast it is actually moving (rifle vs pistol factors here too).   Hard to say if it would or not without data.

The Colibri are different than the Sniper Sub-Sonic (SSS). The SSS are 60 gr with powder in a .22 short case. The Colibri have a light bullet and no powder which makes them virtually silent without a suppressor.

I think I read years ago that the SSS were developed for some foreign govt agency. Basically just like a subsonic 5.56. I went through a box of them years ago.

I've got a couple boxes. After I bought them I started wondering about the posibility of squibs so I never shot them. The ones I have are the 20 gr. Aguila Super Colibri. I doubt I'll ever use them in my rifle.

Added...The 20gr. is rated at 590fps. http://www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire.html

Yeah don't use these out of a standard length rifle.  I bought some of these right when .22 got hard to get.  Actually bought them from the evil CTD but they were for a very reasonable price.  They will squib with a regular adult length rifle but work pretty well out of the Savage Cub Mini Youth which has a 16 inch barrel and they work well out of my single action revolvers.

Edited by Mike.357

They are a lot quieter in a suppressed rifle but you MUST have a gun with a twist of at least 15 to stabilize them. Almost all 22's these days are 16 twist and out of those guns the SSS will tumble within inches of leaving the muzzle, I have done a metric ton of testing of the SSS. Without a suppressor they are no quieter than a regular 22lr, pistol or rifle. And in a semi auto they are a lot louder to the shooter because of the extra port noise caused by the shorter case. I did try them in a AR with a conversion and they shot OK but they had a lot of port noise and it did throw crud in my face.

To get the maximum benefit out of them you must have a locked breech gun like a bolt action and it must have a 15, or faster twist, and it must have a suppressor. If you have all three then you will have an amazingly quiet gun. If not then standard subsonic 22lr is a better choice.

I've got a couple boxes. After I bought them I started wondering about the posibility of squibs so I never shot them. The ones I have are the 20 gr. Aguila Super Colibri. I doubt I'll ever use them in my rifle.

Added...The 20gr. is rated at 590fps. http://www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire.html

I have a box of those, a full box because i've never shot any. Looks like a .22 short case with a bullet twice as long as a standard .22LR. I would shoot some if I had a single shot .22 rifle but i'm not going to try them in my 10/22, don't trust them in a semi-auto.

The SSS will make it out of the bore of any rifle, semi auto or not, so in that respect they are completely safe. I have found that some guns do not like the short cases when in comes to ejection.

These are the most consistent ammo with regards to barrel length. They chronograph -800 fps out of 2" barre and about the same out of an 18" barrel.

These are the ONLY ammo I will run in a 22 pistol that is used for a backup. The reason is they penetrate 8" into ballistic gelatin when fired from a shorter barrel. They also tumble immediately and with a bullet length of -.6" it makes a pretty wide permanent would channel. It does not have the shock of a big caliber or fast mover but definitely capable of killing. Edited by Dolomite_supafly

I bought some for suppressor use, they work very well in my savage bolt & the sig mosquito that I have, a different twist rate is recommended but I've never seen a keyhole using these

Are they loud without a suppressor?

That is my dedicated load when I use the conversion in my suppressed AR... Very accurate, very quiet, and very reliable. I've noticed that it prefers faster twist barrels though, I've seen it keyhole out of 1-16" rifling past 25yd.

Like Dolomite mentioned, If you have most any store bought rifle you will be wasting the ammo. If you don't have a barrel with a fast enough twist rate (most do NOT) the bullet will tumble almost immediately. A 15 twist is the minimum twist rate the will stabilize these puppies so if it were me i'd find someone with a gun set up for them and swap them for some regular 40gr or less ammo. This is of course, just my opinion.