Getting a newbie ready for the carry permit class.

Guest DamitBobby

Guest DamitBobby

I have a friend who's interested in getting her permit, and she has never shot a gun before.  I'd like to take her out, teach her how to shoot, and get her ready for the class.  I'm not concerned about the lecture part of the course.  That's merely fact retention and recitation, and she's capable of that.  The only way she'll fail that part is if she doesn't pay attention during the class, and there's nothing i can do about that :shrug:

However, the shooting portion of the class may or may not prove to be problematic, so i'd like to make sure she is at least capable of completing that part, but I don't remember what's expected in the shooting part of the class, so I don't know what the bare minimum for success is.  I do remember they had me go to three yards, five yards, and seven yards, but i don't know how many rounds had to hit in the black area, nor do i remember how big the black area was.  Does anyone else have a better recollection than me? 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She'd have to be pretty bad to fail the shooting part. Getting her used to the recoil is probably worthwhile though. Of course, if your aim is more along the lines of standing up close behind and guiding her how to shoot, all the best with that :)

Guest DamitBobby

Of course, if your aim is more along the lines of standing up close behind and guiding her how to shoot, all the best with that :)

That wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea :dirty:, but that wasn't the plan though

For some reason, I thought they would make her try to hit a smaller area within the target, but if all she has to do is hit the target, then she'll be alright.  Appreciate the feedback y'all.

They generally use a B27 target and you have to get 33 hits on paper (out of 48).  Any hit anywhere on the body  counts. 

The state changed the qualification over a year ago. You now shoot 50 rounds from the 3,5, and 7 yard mark. 20,20,and 10 rounds. You must get 70 points to pass. Most ranges sell the state qualification target.

Anywhere in the black counts and if you can't do that, you don't really need to be carrying a gun IMHO. 

I will add a couple things...   if you have romantic interest, tread lightly and be very patient.  If she gets frustrated, stop immediately. 

Instead of mindlessly making perforated paper, make up some games to keep it interesting. 

If her hands get tired and she can't hold the gun still, take a break. 

Try dry fire practice... set a piece of empty brass on the slide (if a semi-auto) and have her practice trigger pull until it doesn't fall off. 

Guest DamitBobby

The state changed the qualification over a year ago. You now shoot 50 rounds from the 3,5, and 7 yard mark. 20,20,and 10 rounds. You must get 70 points to pass. Most ranges sell the state qualification target.

The 70 points part of what you said....how are points tallied up?  I'm guessing closer to the center counts for more points, and less and less the further out you go?

No one has mentioned it yet, but have her use a 22. She won't have to worry about recoil or anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife took her LCR and Neos to the range and qualified with the Neos. The examiner let her try out the LCR for fun also.

I have a friend who's interested in getting her permit, and she has never shot a gun before.

Get some comfortable ear protectors.  Start with a gun with little recoil. Have her dry fire a few times to get the feel of the trigger pull.  Teach her how to look through the sights. How to breathe. How to hold the weapon.

After she's comfortable, you can move up to something with more noise and recoil.

A gun that fits her hand, has an easy trigger pull, and a relatively long sight picture would be easiest to learn on.  That should be obvious, but a lot of guys think that a 10 pound trigger pull is nothing. 

Edited by jgradyc

No one has mentioned it yet, but have her use a 22. She won't have to worry about recoil or anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a bit on the fence with that suggestion.  If you suspect she might be recoil sensitive, then yes I'd start with a .22.  If you don't think she'd care, I think starting with a .22 can induce some recoil sensitivity.  They get used to the .22 which has no recoil, no muzzle blast, and no noise.... then you put a bigger gun in their hand that has all 3 (even a sissy gun like a 9mm  ;) ) and suddenly they're afraid of it.  It's a matter of developing their expectation of what's "normal".   I'm not saying to start with a .357 snubbie, but if a full size 9mm is "normal", that makes everything a lot easier.  You just have to know the person and have some expectation as to how they'll respond. 

Edited by peejman
[quote name="DamitBobby" post="1164511" timestamp="1404309728"]The 70 points part of what you said....how are points tallied up? I'm guessing closer to the center counts for more points, and less and less the further out you go?[/quote] It's 70% so 35 out of 50 anywhere on the black. No bonus for being closer to center or anything like that. It's just that easy. As for caliber start with a 22. It builds proper muscle memory. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's 70% so 35 out of 50 anywhere on the black. No bonus for being closer to center or anything like that. It's just that easy. As for caliber start with a 22. It builds proper muscle memory. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not anymore. The state changed the qualification last year. They now use a B29 target - its 22" x 11.5". Anything in the 7 ring or in counts as 2 points. In the black but not inside the 7 ring is 1 point. 50 shots - 70 points to pass. 

219685.jpg

Edited by bubbadavis

[quote name="bubbadavis" post="1164795" timestamp="1404346864"]Not anymore. The state changed the qualification last year. They now use a B29 target - its 22" x 11.5". Anything in the 7 ring or in counts as 2 points. In the black but not inside the 7 ring is 1 point. 50 shots - 70 [b]points[/b] to pass. 219685.jpg[/quote] Source? All I could find is this: [url="http://www.tn.gov/sos/rules/1340/1340-02/1340-02-03.pdf"]http://www.tn.gov/sos/rules/1340/1340-02/1340-02-03.pdf[/url] That says 70% dated 11/2001 Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Dane

Source?
All I could find is this:
http://www.tn.gov/sos/rules/1340/1340-02/1340-02-03.pdf

That says 70% dated 11/2001

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The state isn't good about publicizing some of their decisions. I'm an instructor - the state sent information regarding the change of course of fire over a year ago. I don't have it in an electronic form or I would post it.

They probably still state it as a 70% requirement since you can score 100 points with the new system (50 rounds - all in the 7 ring).

Guest Lowbuster
I shot 3, 5 and 7 yards with 3 sets of 6e each set. My sister and I both qualified with. 22 she has always been around guns but she gradually raised caliber to become comfortable with recoil.
Guest DamitBobby

Source?
All I could find is this:
http://www.tn.gov/sos/rules/1340/1340-02/1340-02-03.pdf

That says 70% dated 11/2001

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If this is the case, she'll be alright.  While she's not exactly laying shots on top of each other just yet, she's certainly not new enough to fail this test.  I figured they would've made it a little harder, but i guess i was mistaken. 

Guest DamitBobby

I understand that they don't expect people to be superb marksmen (or women), but given the dimensions of the B29 target, and the fact that any hit within the 7 ring counts, that doesn't really inspire competent self-defense shooting. 

The absolute best thing you can do for a new shooter is to have them take the NRA pistol course before they buy any guns or go to the carry permit class. This is 10 hours of hands on classroom instruction and range time, lots of practical exercises, and more than 40 different guns to see, try, practice with safe dummy ammo before you go live fire. It's a ton of fun, and I guarantee everyone on TGO would learn something new, even veteran shooters, other instructors, and military / LEO. I've been teaching these for free or very cheap for years to anyone age 10 and up, and I certify other instructors including lots of seasoned folks, everyone has fun and is amazed how much you learn. Helps them avoid buying the wrong gun or picking up bad habits, makes them safer.