I'm a big softy

Links2k

I just moved my only son into his dorm at The University of Alabama. I've been at the hotel trying to hide tears from my wife for two hours.

I have to remember that he is a sellout. He even attempted to convince me to stop supporting UT.
  • Like 3
Well you can take comfort in the fact the UT hasn't stood a chance against Alabama for close to a decade now.... (ROLL TIDE)... I will be there myself as my oldest son will be heading out into the world in the next year...I am sure I will sob like a girl...
  • Like 1

Well you can take comfort in the fact the UT hasn't stood a chance against Alabama for close to a decade now.... (ROLL TIDE)...

I will be there myself as my oldest son will be heading out into the world in the next year...I am sure I will sob like a girl...

Seems like the mother's are holding up better than all of the dad's. I couldn't even talk to him the last couple of days without my voice cracking.
  • Like 1
I let my sons see me get choked up everyone once in a blue moon...it balances out them seeing me want to break their necks for being boys...I have a feeling the whole empty nest thing will hit me pretty hard when I comes my turn...
  • Like 1

I have a friend who said she is close to loosing it over having to help her oldest kid move to college tomorrow.  To compound matters, her husband is overseas drawing combat pay and isn't there to help the emotional burden. To say things are a little emotional is an understatement. 

But if you are taking your kid to a good school where they can stand on their own, you did a lot of things right as a parent.  Congrats.

• Like 2
[quote name="hipower" post="1180121" timestamp="1408155476"]Big strong men sobbing like a little girls . :stunned: What are the guys here coming to? :shrug: Next you'll be wearing dresses and carrying purses. Oh...wait, that's what happens when Bama wins isn't it?[/quote] I don't know... I'm not a Vol fan...:)
  • Like 1

I am the youngest and when I moved away to college was one of two times I've seen my father cry. The other was at my grandfathers funeral and I was bawling like a baby along with him.

Edited by xjsnake
  • Like 2

I have a friend who said she is close to loosing it over having to help her oldest kid move to college tomorrow.  To compound matters, her husband is overseas drawing combat pay and isn't there to help the emotional burden. To say things are a little emotional is an understatement. 

But if you are taking your kid to a good school where they can stand on their own, you did a lot of things right as a parent.  Congrats.

Thanks. We have been blessed. If he and his twin sister perform half as well as their older sister, I'll count my life as a success.
  • Like 2
Believe it or not, food will barely get past that big lump in your throat! My oldest son is 26, my daughter is 23. both are in college, I think I worry about them and miss them more the older they get. The 18 year old is another story all together. Although, I am sure as he moves in his own direction the same feelings will surface. Edited by VERO1
  • Like 1
As a young man who was dropped off by his parents at college 1,000 miles from home about a decade ago, it meant so much to me to see my Dad on the verge of crying as they walked back to their car to drive home. My Dad is, I'm sure, similar to you guys. Hard working, tough, sometimes a bit callous, and never a cried or complained about anything.

To see that I, as his son, meant so much to him that he could not hold back that emotion didn't make me think he was weak. It made me realize how much he loved me, and how he was putting my growth and development ahead of his own desire to keep me home. College taught me all kinds of new ways to love and respect my parents, and many of the ways they loved and cared for me that I had never recognized before. That continues to this day. I am always looking back and rediscovering how much my Mom and Dad poured themselves into the lives of myself and my siblings. I try to find ways to let them know that, and to thank them for all they have done and continue to do for me.

On behalf of your son, thank you.
  • Like 2

When I joined the ARMY at 17 my parents were very happy to get me out of the house. Things must be different these days!  :rofl:

Maybe it is not th

When I joined the ARMY at 17 my parents were very happy to get me out of the house. Things must be different these days!  :rofl:

Maybe it is not the times that have changed but maybe the kids. As much as I loved and love my two sons. I was thrilled to see them grow up and find out what they wanted in life and go for it as long as it meant moving out of my house. I have helped my son a few times when things got rough in life but if they never get out do they ever grow up? Going to college is much better that going in the military at the present time for sure..............jmho

I remember when I joined the Air Force, my Dad said "you're in for a REAL surprise.  You have no idea." 

He was right but I have no regrets.  At the time, college just wasn't for me.