Anyone here ever had Shingles????

bersaguy

:wave:   I have been watching those ads on TV and it talks about Chicken pocks back when you was a kids and all.  I was one of 5 boys all 2 years apart and one of us was always sick with something and of course we all got it most of the time but for me to remember back to then and try to remember Chicken Pocks would be a real stretch.

I am the only living one of the boys since I was the youngest so I cannot ask any of them if they could remember plus Mother and Father are gone so guess in the dark on remembering for me. I spoke with my Pharmacist at Walgreens about them and glad I did but wish I would not have. They don't go far enough on TV with the information. Shingles can actually kill you depending on your health, age and where it is located. There have been people that got it in their ears and around their eyes and it ended up killing them. I am going tomorrow for my Shingles shot.

I checked out the law of averages and Murphy's law and any other source I could find about the vaccine possibly giving you the Shingles and according to all I have searched out and read about it's a 1 in 1 million chance the vaccine being a living Vaccine could give me shingles. I like the odds verses not getting the shot. Just curious if anyone here has had them and how many have went and got the shot????   Anyone got an advice pro's or con's on it?........ :whistle: :whistle:            

I've had them - when I was in college (after getting Mono - immune system was trashed).  I didn't know what they were... until months and months later when my brother came down with Mono... and then the doctor told him he also had shingles. ... I looked at it, asked him what they felt like... yep.

They hurt, but I didn't have them everywhere, so I guess it was pretty mild.  I still have the scars.

I've had them - when I was in college (after getting Mono - immune system was trashed).  I didn't know what they were... until months and months later when my brother came down with Mono... and then the doctor told him he also had shingles. ... I looked at it, asked him what they felt like... yep.

They hurt, but I didn't have them everywhere, so I guess it was pretty mild.  I still have the scars.

Yea, they don't appear everywhere all over your body but just in patches here and there. I am going to get the shot tomorrow and not take the chance Cost me $3.30 to be safer than trying to take chance I won't get them. My son told me his mother. My first wife has had them 3 or 4 times in last couple years and even though I am not married to her and she did what she did I don't wish her any harm like that. We may be divorced but she is still the Mother of my children and for that I will always respect her.

Not had Shingles, and unclear whether I had Chicken Pox as a kid, but I took the vaccine anyway, since it is obviously a miserable condition to have.

Note that the vaccine is only estimated to have 50-70% hedge in prevention, but I thought it worth it.

- OS

My dad got shingle this past spring at the age of 66. He caught it early, but it spread from his right shoulder blade, around his right side & part way across his chest. It took about a month to fully clear up & another month for the pain to go away. He said it felt like a blow torch on his chest at night for the first couple weeks & lemon juice on a cut for a couple weeks after that. I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

Don't know if I ever had Chicken Pox or not, and like many an older person; no one is left around for me to ask.

I had planned on taking the vaccine. Asked my staff of doctors, and they recommended I not take it. But my situation is different from most.

Because of my history with Leukemia and Lymphatic Cancer, I was told it wasn't safe totally safe. But I keep thinking about it.

I've seen cases of it. I really don't want to contend with it.

Don't know if I ever had Chicken Pox or not, and like many an older person; no one is left around for me to ask.

I had planned on taking the vaccine. Asked my staff of doctors, and they recommended I not take it. But my situation is different from most.

Because of my history with Leukemia and Lymphatic Cancer, I was told it wasn't safe totally safe. But I keep thinking about it.

I've seen cases of it. I really don't want to contend with it.

I can't recommend it for you or not and I would get more information out of my doctors as to just exactly why they do not recommend it and make them explain it in more detail. I have been meaning to ask my doctor but keep forgetting when I am there to ask her. I did manage to remember to get my flu shot from her anyway and didn't have to go to Walgreens like last year. The way I look at it is if there is something out there I can catch that is going to make me feel miserable and be in a lot of pain and there is something out there that will help me avoid it I'm not going to pass up the chance to avoid the pain. That is what makes me so angry about all these doctors that refuse to write any type of pain medication prescriptions. Pharmaceutical companies spend billions of dollars to create medications that will help keep people out of pain and these holier than thou doctors won't write them for any of their patients. That doctor would see me one time and one time only. Even if I didn't need pain medications. He would not see me again just because of his morals or lack of them......................jmho   

Edited by bersaguy
My fiancee had them about 2 months ago. She woke up one morning and had an itchy red spot on her back. It was right where her bra hooked together so she thought it may be from that but it got a little worse so she went to the doc and found out is was shingles. It got better in a week or so.

My daughter got shingles as the result of the chicken pox vaccine. 3 Drs. Denied it was even slightly possible. The same 3 drs confirmed it was shingles and possibly from the vaccine.

381df2186715ce1899ec45877d5e785f.jpg

a1e0e4e4eff660ee37a8db9597aed81d.jpg

Ok, Now I am confused. Did she get Shingles from a CHICKEN POX Vaccine. I didn't know they had a Chicken pox Vaccine?

From "WebMD"...

"Research begun in the 1950s has shown that when we recover from childhood chickenpox infections, the virus that causes the infection, varicella zoster virus, remains latent in nerve cells.  What causes reactivation of the virus is unclear, but as we age, experts believe the immune responses that keep varicella zoster virus dormant in the nerves weaken with age. One in three people will get shingles during their lifetime, and at least half of all people 85 and older have had the ailment."

Edited by luvmyberetta

Ok, Now I am confused. Did she get Shingles from a CHICKEN POX Vaccine. I didn't know they had a Chicken pox Vaccine?

Yes, she got the shingles from the chicken pox vaccine. They say it's extremely rare, but my mother also had a bad reaction to the shingles vaccine as an adult.

The shingles were not a big deal for the baby. She was over it in a week.

Mom had a much harder time with it.

The jury is still out as to if the twins will get this shot or not.

I checked out the law of averages and Murphy's law and any other source I could find about the vaccine possibly giving you the Shingles and according to all I have searched out and read about it's a 1 in 1 million chance the vaccine being a living Vaccine could give me shingles. I like the odds verses not getting the shot. Just curious if anyone here has had them and how many have went and got the shot????   Anyone got an advice pro's or con's on it?........ :whistle: :whistle:            

I would think if you never had chicken pox, the shingles vaccine would give you chicken pox if anything. I caught chicken pox when I was 24 from my neice, my brother said not to come over to his house but I "assumed" since I was older I wouldn't catch it, yeah right. Chicken pox is highly contagious.

Edited by K191145

I would think if you never had chicken pox, the shingles vaccine would give you chicken pox if anything..

That seems to be true. According to NIH,  a person who had never had chickenpox could be infected directly from someone else's shingles blisters, but would develop chicken pox, not shingles. But of course later could then develop shingles.

- OS

That seems to be true. According to NIH,  a person who had never had chickenpox could be infected directly from someone else's shingles blisters, but would develop chicken pox, not shingles. But of course later could then develop shingles.

- OS

Besides a few blisters and a low grade fever the pox didn't bother me that much at 24 years old, I had heard it was harder on an adult but it wasn't in my case. I take a flu shot every year but never considered a shingles vaccine, I sure don't want to try shingles if I can help it. A guy I worked with once had a case on his chest, he said it felt like someone hit him in the ribs with a bat then poured boiling water down his side. Ouch.

Guest Broomhead
Had chicken pox as a toddler, I have a scar on my forehead still. I got shingles around 7 but not from any vaccines or illnesses, which they said was very rare that young. I had them again in my 20s but I didn't have the rash, just severe pain on the right side of my trunk. Dr said that its rare, but you won't always get a rash.

Did you catch the two "rares"? Story of my life, I always have odd medical problems and other situations happening. We call it the Broomhead curse, Murphy hates us. It also turns out that you can marry into the curse. Edited by Broomhead

Been there; done that.  The t-shirt isn't worth the "bragging rights".  They make you down right miserable.  I still itch and feel "crawly things" if I think about them.  I was told that they are typically only on one side of your body; something to do with the nervous system.  Unless there's a medical reason, even if the vaccine is 50-70% effective as Oh Shoot says, I sure consider it.

• Like 1

..Unless there's a medical reason, even if the vaccine is 50-70% effective as Oh Shoot says, I sure consider it.

I should have mentioned though, that while effectiveness seems really more like about 60% at best overall effective for preventing shingles, even if you still get shingles, the vaccine also has close to a 70% chance of preventing what's even worse -- PHN  (postherpetic neuralgia), the chronic pain that some may develop after a shingles episode, and it can last the rest of one's life.

- OS