How do you heat your workshop?

• Administrator

I looked into one back when we had a 40'x100' shop but to buy a commercially available unit was going to be pricey up front $3,500-$4,000 comes to mind. Were you thinking of building your own or buying a turn key model? If you were looking into just buying one, what price range do units for garages and hobby shops fall in?

I was looking at commercial units.  The prices I saw at the time were $1800 and up.

• Like 1

I didn't realize it mattered with propane. Does an indoor/ventless burn differently or something?

I've never had a problem with any propane heater I've had indoors. I have a propane forced air (torpedo) heater that I use for some things and when I was remodeling the house I would run it 10hrs a day when I had the wood stove pulled out and I never had any issue with it YMMV. I've also used it in the crawl space while working of something and I'd think if it was going to cause problems it would have been then but again, others may be different.

I didn't realize it mattered with propane. Does an indoor/ventless burn differently or something?

Any sort of heater burning any sort of hydrocarbon based fuel has the potential to produce significant amounts of CO.  It's mainly a concern when the combustion products (exhaust) is vented into the same space you occupy, such as with a ventless model.  The ventless models do burn exceptionally efficiently, but only when everything is exactly right.  A poor installation job, bent burner, etc. can muck things up real quick. 

Water vapor (another combustion product) may also be a significant concern.  Propane produces either 4x or 8x the amount of water vapor that natural gas does.  Hence, running a ventless propane heater indoors can cause a lot of condensation build-up, which leads to mold, mildew, etc.  But that just kills you slowly and you can see it.  CO kills you much faster and is far less obvious. 

• Like 1

I've never had a problem with any propane heater I've had indoors. I have a propane forced air (torpedo) heater that I use for some things and when I was remodeling the house I would run it 10hrs a day when I had the wood stove pulled out and I never had any issue with it YMMV. I've also used it in the crawl space while working of something and I'd think if it was going to cause problems it would have been then but again, others may be different.

Fire eats oxygen. When it eats enough of it, you pass out. If the source of the oxygen is not an outside vent, then it will take oxygen from the heated space. Not saying there will be a problem. Just saying that it works that way. It's why they use a heat exchanger in a gas furnace. So, if you use open flame heat in a room, you do need some fresh air to make up for the consumed oxygen (actually not consumed, but converted to CO and CO2). Anyway, you won't know there's a problem until you get dizzy.

EDIT: What Peej said ^^^

Edited by mikegideon

Fire eats oxygen. When it eats enough of it, you pass out. If the source of the oxygen is not an outside vent, then it will take oxygen from the heated space. Not saying there will be a problem. Just saying that it works that way. It's why they use a heat exchanger in a gas furnace. So, if you use open flame heat in a room, you do need some fresh air to make up for the consumed oxygen (actually not consumed, but converted to CO and CO2). Anyway, you won't know there's a problem until you get dizzy.

EDIT: What Peej said ^^^

I understand the principle of it all, just stating that I've had no problem with it... Yet 😉
Also the house is around 1,800sq' and during remodeling I guess I was opening and closing the door from time to time allowing fresh air in.
I will say, be very careful with a forced air heater that runs on kerosene/diesel. When I was 17-19 years old and was racing motocross very heavily some friends and I would sit out in the shop working on bikes until 1-2am 3 nights or more per week and ran one of these on dyed farm fuel in the un insulated shop. The moment the heat was turned off to let the air catch up the temp would plummet so we seemed to always leave it running until everyone's eyes were burning and watering and tiredness started kicking in. A buddies dad happened to stop in one night and set us straight real quick on our stupidity only in much stronger and colorful language. I've tried to run propane since.
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So to maximize my space in the shop I have decided to go with a one or two brick wall mounted propane heater and run the line through the outside wall to a 40 or 100 lb tank. With that said what tank size would you go with? Obviously the 40lb would be easier for me to transport around to fill but I have no idea how long I can expect a tank to last. I would just kick it on once I go out there. I doubt it will take long to heat up as the shop is fully insulated.

Since we have had this serious cold snap, my 110 volt Lasko ceramic heater has been holding its own. My insulated 2 car garage hasn't dropped below 67 degrees, and the heater doesn't run all the time. Insulating the walls, door, and attic is one of the best things I have ever done. Pretty cheap and easy too.

How do I heat my workshop? I don't have enough money to heat my workshop.

2300 sq ft with 15ft high ceiling.

Insulating would cost many thousands of dollars.

I have a big wood stove in one corner that raises the temps maybe 3* in cold weather.

Just bundle up and get after it...............

How do I heat my workshop? I don't have enough money to heat my workshop.

2300 sq ft with 15ft high ceiling.

Insulating would cost many thousands of dollars.

I have a big wood stove in one corner that raises the temps maybe 3* in cold weather.

Just bundle up and get after it...............

I can't work with cold hands haha. That's how things end up getting rushed and put together wrong. I gotta have my heat. :pleased:

I can't work with cold hands haha. That's how things end up getting rushed and put together wrong. I gotta have my heat. :pleased:

I've been in there when it was 20* and when it was 105*, just a matter of willpower.

If it gets super cold and I have to be there a while, one of those ceramic heaters next to your feet helps a lot. :up:

Anyway, you won't know there's a problem until you get dizzy.

With CO, many people never know there's a problem. They just pass out then eventually die. That's one of the things that makes it so dangerous. Worth checking if your heater has protection against this.

With CO, many people never know there's a problem. They just pass out then eventually die. That's one of the things that makes it so dangerous. Worth checking if your heater has protection against this.

There's some CO, but there's also plain ole oxygen consumption. probably much more of the latter

I've been in there when it was 20* and when it was 105*, just a matter of willpower.

If it gets super cold and I have to be there a while, one of those ceramic heaters next to your feet helps a lot. :up:

I have been doing a lot of painting, staining, and poly, all oil based. No workie in cold temps.

There's some CO, but there's also plain ole oxygen consumption. probably much more of the latter

Yeah, but the CO also binds to haemoglobin, preventing your blood from transporting oxygen. CO2 will get you dizzy but you'll notice, CO will get you dead. There's a reason it's popular for suicides.

Also, low O2 will cause a heater to put out more CO over CO2 as the combustion becomes more inefficient.

Edited by tnguy

Yeah, but the CO also binds to haemoglobin, preventing your blood from transporting oxygen. CO2 will get you dizzy but you'll notice, CO will get you dead. There's a reason it's popular for suicides.

Also, low O2 will cause a heater to put out more CO over CO2 as the combustion becomes more inefficient.

Yep. Has something to do with the hole in the valence layer of a carbon atom. We're kinda saying the same thing. CO is looking for another oxygen atom to turn it into a stable compound... CO2. But, what I was getting at... there's less available oxygen in the air because of the combustion. The byproduct is CO2, but the problem is lack of oxygen.

Yep. Has something to do with the hole in the valence layer of a carbon atom. We're kinda saying the same thing. CO is looking for another oxygen atom to turn it into a stable compound... CO2. But, what I was getting at... there's less available oxygen in the air because of the combustion. The byproduct is CO2, but the problem is lack of oxygen.

It's like the difference between holding your breath and having your lungs removed.