Haslam national intro 2016 & POTUS 2020?

Peace

Does he have any interest?  Is he quick witted enough to avoid Quale, Perry, or Biden-isms?  

They have the money, and he seems like he can be agreeable with just about anyone in the same room with him.  The next question shouldn't matter, ... but it does.  I don't know how tall he is.... but I can't remember the last time we elected a president under 6'.

Anywho - regardless of who it is, Tennessee would do well to have a POTUS from the modern era,... and our country would do well to have an effective, if not flashy, conservative (non-nut-job) POTUS.

allright,,... now that I've opened the can, what do you think?

Edited by Peace
I'm not really a fan of his. Sure... I guess he's about an average republican, but I'm sick of average. They end up being McCain, Graham, and McConnell after 30 years or so in DC. It's those slimy, affable, middle of the road political gamesters that are more interested in kepping their own power rather than standing up and showing principle when the times comes. (Think McConnell and how he helped allow the passage of the ACA while claiming to have vehemently opposed it.)

Do I think Haslam is already at that point? No. Do I see him there after a little more time in politics? Yep.
  • Like 1

allright,,... now that I've opened the can, what do you think?

Anything can happen, but I don't think he's probably ripe for consideration. If he can get through second term as gov without any more black eyes than the first, he's a lock for Lamar's seat, and I'm sure that's the plan. Much better base camp for assault of Everest, even though Lamar failed at that.

Anything can happen though, veeps are often relatively unknown to the country at large. Thing is though, has to weigh odds of winning, too, even if asked. Has any candidate for veep that failed ever managed to later get the presidency, at least by the 20th century?

- OS

The Republicans won the 2014 midterms with good, moderate candidates - not necessarily the most conservative ones. While it may not quite satisfy us and give us everything we want, it beats the pants off what we've been getting lately... staunch liberalism that had no interest in compromise. 

As long as there is a strong conservative wing - and there is - then give me the moderate national Republicans all day.

Haslam has been doing his thing in this state with a supermajority of Republicans in both houses. It's easy to show accomplishment when there are precious few enemies in the legislature. He would need the ability to navigate troubled waters (DC) before being a viable candidate for high federal office. Perhaps if he is ever a US Senator, that would be when his real political skill (or lack thereof?) would come out.

Ya'll do realize that the majority of folks are centrists who are extremely ticked at the polar gridlock that's gripping our government. That's the reason for "Govern from the center" philosophy started. I'm pretty much convinced that the chances of you getting "Truely conservative" candidates elected to POTUS rates at about an icecube's chance in hell.

• Like 11

Ya'll do realize that the majority of folks are centrists who are extremely ticked at the polar gridlock that's gripping our government. That's the reason for "Govern from the center" philosophy started. I'm pretty much convinced that the chances of you getting "Truely conservative" candidates elected to POTUS rates at about an icecube's chance in hell.

Truth

Well, I would say that a true "conservative" must be a centrist.  What is being touted as conservative these days is certainly extreme - not conservative.

Yep, and that "centrist" circle is farther left than a centrist of the past, too.

I said it in another thread, but for all the "patriot" sentiment expressed here, Ted Cruz  and his support base is almost as dangerous as the Left in the overall scheme of things in the next couple years,  just in Congressional intrigue and gawd forbid that he makes a POTUS run too. Should he somehow actually get the nomination, it would be a landslide win for the Dems regardless of who they put up. He'd be extremely destructive even if he just runs and makes it through half the primaries.

Of course, there's the question as to whether he's even eligible,  but even the hoopla to decide that would be far from any kind of plus for the GOP or conservatism in general.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Has any candidate for veep that failed ever managed to later get the presidency, at least by the 20th century?

- OS

FDR. He failed on the 1920 James Cox/FDR ticket to the Warren Harding/ Calvin Coolidge ticket, then won POTUS in 1932. I'm pretty sure he's the only one to ever do it. Prior to 1856, the Veep wasn't part of the POTUS ticket, so we can't really compare prior to that.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

Yep, and that "centrist" circle is farther left than a centrist of the past, too.

I said it in another thread, but for all the "patriot" sentiment expressed here, Ted Cruz  and his support base is almost as dangerous as the Left in the overall scheme of things in the next couple years,  just in Congressional intrigue and gawd forbid that he makes a POTUS run too. Should he somehow actually get the nomination, it would be a landslide win for the Dems regardless of who they put up. He'd be extremely destructive even if he just runs and makes it through half the primaries.

Of course, there's the question as to whether he's even eligible,  but even the hoopla to decide that would be far from any kind of plus for the GOP or conservatism in general.

- OS

Yep. 

As the left has moved further left, the right has moved further right to maintain some semblance of balance.  Both are so far from the center I don't think either remember what it looks like. 

- OS

Yes, it swings both ways. This time around I'd say it's gone to the right a bit. Let's just hope it stays there in 2016 so that we don't have to deal with Hillary. The last I recall of having 8 + 4 was Reagan - Bush. I don't want to see Obama - Clinton.

FDR. He failed on the 1920 James Cox/FDR ticket to the Warren Harding/ Calvin Coolidge ticket, then won POTUS in 1932. I'm pretty sure he's the only one to ever do it. Prior to 1856, the Veep wasn't part of the POTUS ticket, so we can't really compare prior to that.

How friggin' old are you??!!!?? :eek:

Glock30

The Republicans won the 2014 midterms with good, moderate candidates - not necessarily the most conservative ones.

I'm not sure I agree. Sure, the old farts that have been there for half a century are spineless moderates, but the new crop that will be inaugurated in January promise to be a quite conservative group.

Unless Haslam starts building a national profile, he won't be running for President.  Keep an eye on his schedule with regard to out of state travel to determine if he is thinking about anything.  I highly doubt he is, though.

My best bet is he serves out the 4-year term he was just re-elected to, and in 2020, if Lamar retires (I think he does) and another state-wide name isn't good enough he might run for the Senate.

...if Lamar retires (I think he does) and another state-wide name isn't good enough he might run for the Senate.

Oh, you can be pretty sure that's the plan, and Big Jim (his dad) has been lubing the track since Bill's first mayoral run.

Old enough to know how to use Google, but not old enough to have actually cast a vote against FDR. I'll leave that honor to Oh Shoot.  :D

I never really got over the McKinley assassination.

- OS

• Like 2

I can see a Bredesen vs Haslam race to take Lamar's seat. Bredesen was popular enough that he could take that seat blue. If anyone could do it, it's him and the Dems know it. Truth be told, I'd be tempted to vote Bredesen over Haslam if it wasn't for the tight Senate seat count, and maybe in spite of that.

Edited by monkeylizard

I can see a Bredesen vs Haslam race to take Lamar's seat. Bredesen was popular enough that he could take that seat blue. If anyone could do it, it's him and the Dems know it. Truth be told, I'd be tempted to vote Bredesen over Haslam if it wasn't for the tight Senate seat count, and maybe in spite of that.

Maybe, but ole Phil will be old Phil by then, already almost 71.

- OS