Got a "all metal gun" that I'll keep

tercel89

I got a Rock Island Armory 1911 GI full size. I am extremely happy . The way its made and all is great. I wanted a good functioning 1911 that I could throw into my vehicle when I'm checking on the huntig land  and hunting and this and that where I would not mind it getting scratched or dinged real bad. One that was inexspensive but functioned great. Well I got it. It is built just as good as my Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911. I ran some rounds through it and its smooth as butter . I am reloading 9mm now so I may get a 45 die and start on it . I got this used and at a good deal. I dont think these RIA's are cheap , just good "in-expensive" 1911's . They are far from cheap . very good quality . I wanted a good GI type with no bells and whistles and this fits the deal just great . The only bad thing , but not really "bad" is the wood is a little fat or thick. I am trying to find some thinner old style plastic checkered style black grips for it . Plus it's a series 70 style so no crappy safety things to get in the way :up:  Here she is . 

[url=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/ria_zps690097ca.jpg.html]ria_zps690097ca.jpg[/URL]

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 4

Nice pickup.  The RIA guns are pretty darn nice for the money.  The grips, however, are indeed terrible.  I'm pretty sure that's what ever tree just happens to grow in the RIA factory parking lot. 

HA HA , you're right about whatever tree is in the lot ! Like a wild growing beech tree or maple ,  LOL  :meh:  . But they are built way nicer than I thought ! 

Just an fyi, if you change grips to slim grips you may have to change grip screws and bushings. Also the only thing that RIA customer service recommends replacing, is the recoil spring with a better quality spring. They recommended to me wolf springs. When I asked why they didn't use them to start with, he stated to save money. I must say I never had a problem with any of their 1911's that I have owned in both 9mm and 45acp. They were all single stack, series 70 GI.
  • Like 1

Just an fyi, if you change grips to slim grips you may have to change grip screws and bushings. Also the only thing that RIA customer service recommends replacing, is the recoil spring with a better quality spring. They recommended to me wolf springs. When I asked why they didn't use them to start with, he stated to save money. I must say I never had a problem with any of their 1911's that I have owned in both 9mm and 45acp. They were all single stack, series 70 GI.

Did they recommend you using a better spring just right when you buy it or after the factory ones needs replacing ? 

I was asking why they were showing the new style grips on their website and the gun I received from the dealer had the grips that are shown in the photo above. I then asked are there any other parts I should check, that is when he recommended to just replace the recoil spring. I ordered new springs and just replaced them and through the old spring(s) away.
  • Like 1