17 pounds in 17 days

I asked my wife about this before posting. She is a nurse with a specialty in wellness.  A 700 calorie a day diet is not good for your health.  It's probably okay for a week or so, but after that, there are potential problems. You are burning muscle, not just fat and the body needs muscle to burn fat. Over time, your metabolism can slow down drastically because it thinks you are in a survival mode. When your metabolism slows down, you burn less calories than a normal person and the slow down can be permanent AND cause health issues. Look at what has happened to some of the contestants in the biggest loser.

You can do damage to your organs because they aren't getting enough nutrients. You're putting yourself into ketosis, which is basically poisoning the body. That's what happens to diabetics when their insulin is out of control.

Fasting for a few days in a row is okay, but it's not a healthy way to lose weight over the long term.

As far as exercise is concerned, if your doctor tells you that you can't exercise, you need to find another doctor. If you have a medical problem, hospitals have rehab centers that can teach you what you can and cannot do. Basically, if you can walk, you can exercise. If you can walk up stairs, you can exercise. If you can lift a gallon of milk, you can exercise. 

Yesterday, I worked out on the stairclimber at the rec center. I climbed the height of the Empire State Building. I'm 67. If I can do it, you can do it.

Sorry to be so blunt, but if I saw someone carrying a weapon in a dangerous holster, I'd be just as quick to point it out. It's in everyone's best interests. Good luck on losing weight. 

• Like 3

Actually . we are not starving.. we eating healthy and for non working people consuming under 1000 calories is fine.

We get plenty of nutrients. actually feel better now that I did in a long time by not eating all the other stuff..

We walk every day as far as we can.Its working for us. No one is in Ketosis here.. no worries:) 

• Like 2

We are eating 5-6 times a day and varying what we eat. I seriously doubt we are in ketosis.

My doctor is a close personal friend and we talk almost every day about this and other things. Initially we were going too fast so he told us to eat a bit more and we did but we are still loosing the added weight we have put on over the years.

Yes I could exercise but at what cost? A 20 minute walk really messes me up for the day. A couple hours at the range puts me in bed for days. Not like I get much time out of bed anyways but I would prefer to get as much time out of bed as I can.

I am very intimate with what my body can and cannot handle and I know the path I am on right now is uncomfortable but not dangerous.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
Diabetic and was on insulin. Weight gain went through the roof. New Dr, new meds. No insulin. I am down 63 pounds since September 23rd. Plan in losing another 50 to reach my basketball playing weight 30years ago, Lol. I agree with Oma Sourkraut, processed foods are horrible for your system. Edited by ggwilde
  • Like 1

Thanks all for taking the time.

BTW, if it matters, you'd be suprised at how much cholesterol is in shrimp.

Shrimp do have a lot of cholesterol.... but practically no saturated fat which is the big hitter as far as LDL is concerned.  How they're cooked has a bigger impact on the total nutrition numbers than anything else.  Besides, if you tell me I can't have shrimp.... :slap:    :) 

http://www.healthline.com/health/shrimp-cholesterol-and-heart-health

http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/2014/01/30/shrimp-myths-vs-facts/

• Like 1

Diabetic and was on insulin. Weight gain went through the roof. New Dr, new meds. No insulin. I am down 63 pounds since September 23rd. Plan in losing another 50 to reach my basketball playing weight 30years ago, Lol. I agree with Oma Sourkraut, processed foods are horrible for your system.

WOW.. nice going..i need to drop 50lbs.. Still.. its hard but its coming off one way or another..lol

• Like 1

....... You're putting yourself into ketosis, which is basically poisoning the body. That's what happens to diabetics when their insulin is out of control.

No, big diff between ketosis and ketoacidosis. The latter is the diabetic condition due to insufficient insulin, and primarily involves type 1 diabetes, but seldom due to the insulin resistant/insufficiency for body mass state of type 2.

I've done strict low carbing in the past, indeed lost 30 lbs back when about as quick as it went on when I first quit smoking, and didn't even watch calories. But can assure you that not all calories are equal. I can maintain weight on 2500 or more per day low carb or gain on 2000 or less high carb.

I've tended to stay on the low carb side for many years, but haven't been a carb Nazi about it. However, I've started watching them more strictly again, as need to drop 20 or so pounds once again as I've crept up.

All that said, I couldn't lose a pound per day if I consumed nothing but lettuce and water. :)  But can easily lose a pound or a bit more per week for my body size by consuming around 2000 calories per day or even more,  if I keep carbs to under 50 per day.

And of course what carbs you do consume should have some additional benefits .. there's a big diff between what you get from say, various beans, and the relatively "empty" carbs of potatoes, pasta, and bread.

And there are various other benefits of low carb diet also, but that's another story.

My problem is that I like pretty much everything that humans eat!

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

Shrimp do have a lot of cholesterol.... but practically no saturated fat which is the big hitter as far as LDL is concerned. ..

Yeah, high cholesterol intake does not necessarily equal high cholesterol blood levels, and even those levels seem to be more concerning as regards to LDL and triglycerides rather than total volume. And even saturated fat is looking to be much less of a culprit than always assumed, and maybe no culprit at all. And carbs are increasingly being admitted as the biggest determent. Science and even gummit recommendation is coming around on all that finally. The long standing recommended "food pyramid" is increasing proving to be the best way to shorten your life. :)

Basic deal with carbs is that our bodies aren't really optimized to use them, especially as major source of fuel. Remember, homo sapiens has been around about 200K years, and our bodies haven't significantly changed -- until less than 10K years ago with advent of agriculture, carbs were small % of the diet, and then only seasonal as gathering allowed.

Indeed, studies into folks with severe grain allergies has led to the idea that the normal body sees carbs as an invasion to a certain extent, and produces histamines in various levels in reaction. Which is why many folks with allergies who low carb find that their overall allergy responses improve -- by taking away the "background radiation" histamine level, the overall histamine level is less when other allergic agents are encountered, often low enough to trigger no real response at all. I found this out right away with my ragweed response from Labor Day to first frost for example.

As far as weight retention, carbs are notorious, as any excess not directly needed for conversion to glucose for energy is immediately stored as fat, while in the absence of excess carbs,  excess fats and  protein are largely excreted. And the claim that high protein intake damages the kidneys has been proven to be a myth too.

The body uses intake in the order of: alcohol, carbohydrates, fat, and protein. Good thing about the alcohol, or you'd be drunk for days instead of hours. You can see the alcohol being used first as really as  much defense mechanism as anything else, and to a certain extent at least, the preference for carbs first in the absence of alcohol, as if fat and protein were used first and if that intake were sufficient for energy level, every gram of carb consumed would store as body fat.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3

No, big diff between ketosis and ketoacidosis. The latter is the diabetic condition due to insufficient insulin, and primarily involves type 1 diabetes, but seldom due to the insulin resistant/insufficiency for body mass state of type 2.

I've done strict low carbing in the past, indeed lost 30 lbs back when about as quick as it went on when I first quit smoking, and didn't even watch calories. But can assure you that not all calories are equal. I can maintain weight on 2500 or more per day low carb or gain on 2000 or less high carb.

I've tended to stay on the low carb side for many years, but haven't been a carb Nazi about it. However, I've started watching them more strictly again, as need to drop 20 or so pounds once again as I've crept up.

All that said, I couldn't lose a pound per day if I consumed nothing but lettuce and water. :)  But can easily lose a pound or a bit more per week for my body size by consuming around 2000 calories per day or even more,  if I keep carbs to under 50 per day.

And of course what carbs you do consume should have some additional benefits .. there's a big diff between what you get from say, various beans, and the relatively "empty" carbs of potatoes, pasta, and bread.

And there are various other benefits of low carb diet also, but that's another story.

My problem is that I like pretty much everything that humans eat!

- OS

I looove food..the white  stuff is out for us..taters ,pasta{ wheat pasta=yuck} and all the breads..Even real nice german pumpernickel is out..counting carbs sucks but like you said..it works..My doc said around 50 is good but we do actually less now..And I do not feel deprived..yet. :)

Edited by Oma Sourkraut
  • Like 1
Take this as a friendly opinion. I hope y'all get an end game plan, because I'm afraid 700cals isn't sufficient and sustainable long term. Like others have said with diabetes you run the risk of going too far in the other direction.

I do admire your willpower and determination. Hopefully you all maintain and see continued success.

I looove food..the white  stuff is out for us..taters ,pasta{ wheat pasta=yuck} and all the breads....

There's some good very low to fairly low carb "white stuff" though, top of my head:   cauliflower, cabbage, turnips, various cheeses, cottage cheese, sour cream, whipping cream. (yes, heavy cream is actually low carb!)

23 ways to use cauliflower in low carb regimen:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/cauliflower-not-carbs#.eiDmRzXl3

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Eddie.jpg

Don't eat squirrel either, I hear they are high in cholersterol.

Your spelling aside, I'm not sure why you quoted me with the squirrel comment.

There was a reason why I underlined "if it matters."  See posts #31 and #34 for the "if it matters."  I had those same thoughts about shrimp when I posted.

Sorry, I guess I was just throwing out a silly "gee whiz" thing.

My apologies.

Edited by TN-popo

I asked my wife about this before posting. She is a nurse with a specialty in wellness.  A 700 calorie a day diet is not good for your health.  It's probably okay for a week or so, but after that, there are potential problems. You are burning muscle, not just fat and the body needs muscle to burn fat. Over time, your metabolism can slow down drastically because it thinks you are in a survival mode. When your metabolism slows down, you burn less calories than a normal person and the slow down can be permanent AND cause health issues. Look at what has happened to some of the contestants in the biggest loser.

I think the "muscle not fat" and "starvation mode" things have been thoroughly debunked. The starvation mode idea was based on people who actually were starving and had something like 2% body fat.

• Like 1

Down to 183 now. I weighed in at 202 on the 27th of January so ~19 pounds in 19 days. I do have days where I might not loose a pound but then the next day it will be a little over a pound that I loose.

And here is what I had yesterday. It is curry chicken (~150g) with mushrooms (72g) and Brussels sprouts (28g) over lettuce (100g). Total carbs 7 grams and about 200 calories before the dressing.

C05E807A-1E71-4E16-8CDA-5A5733A0BB80_zps

And once you get used to a "normal" serving size this is plenty to make you feel full and keep you from getting hungry until the next meal.

• Moderators

Down to 183 now. I weighed in at 202 on the 27th of January so ~19 pounds in 19 days. I do have days where I might not loose a pound but then the next day it will be a little over a pound that I loose.

And here is what I had yesterday. It is curry chicken (~150g) with mushrooms (72g) and Brussels sprouts (28g) over lettuce (100g). Total carbs 7 grams and about 200 calories before the dressing.
C05E807A-1E71-4E16-8CDA-5A5733A0BB80_zps

And once you get used to a "normal" serving size this is plenty to make you feel full and keep you from getting hungry until the next meal.

Congratulations.

After being diagnosed as diabetic a year ago, I dropped my A1c from 6.8 to 6.1 in three months.  My doctor was happy with the result but I wasn't with only losing a few pounds a month.  The doctor told me I didn't gain the weight over night, I shouldn't expect to lose it overnight, just to continue the loss each month.

I've dropped 35 lbs since June by cutting what I used to eat in half. I don't count calories, or starve, but I do eat much smarter. If I go out, I ask for a take home carton when I order and cut everything in half before I even start eating. I stick with mostly chicken and fish (crappie I've caught) for my meals and eat lots of salads now. I may have barbecue pork once in a while kind of as a reward thing. My main problem was my blood sugar was not doing much. I'd not seen anything under 110 for a couple of years even while taking pills. A month ago, my neighbor invited me to go with him to Planet Fitness and I'm lucky enough to still the ability to exercise even though I'm 62 years old. I really enjoyed it and joined. I've been working out every day for a month now. I alternate each day between treadmill and weights, and just the treadmill.  For kicks, I checked my BS a few days ago, and every day since, first thing when I get up. I'm now between 90 and 95. It had to be the exercise. I've got 65 more lbs to go to reach my goal of 200.

One tip I got from a friend was really helpful. Salad Dressing is high in everything from calories to sugar. Rather than pour salad dressing on a salad, dip your fork in it then get a bite of salad. I've cut my average dose of salad dressing in half doing this and the flavor is there in every bite.

I stand corrected on the starvation diet comment. I searched PubMed and couldn't find anything definitive about VLCD (very low calorie diets) other than it was extremely effective in reversing Type 2 diabetes. The only negative comments I found on the internet were not sourced, so I couldn't confirm them.  

Best of luck with your diet. 

Now go exercise some!