Hi Point 9mm

john455

Dolomite, Jimenez does not have the same durability and customer service reputation that Hi Point does. I'm a fan of the smaller caliber pistols up to .32 acp, but the .380 and 9mm pistols are known to suffer the occasional frame or slide crack when shot a lot, so I'd stick with Hi Point if you want a cheap large caliber range gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Edited by LCPfraTN

# 5 and 7 are kinda... almost... making me want to try one... man, I need sleep..

No idea what kind of hicap mag the guy got to work in #7. Or maybe it just doesn't.

I noticed when grabbing pix it was a .380, not that you can tell from the size since they are same as the C9.

- OS

I find it amazing that there is more than one comment praising HiPoint reliability here. A buddy of mine has a 9mm carbine as well as a 9mm and .40 pistols. I can't praise the reliability and fun factor rating of the carbine enough! Other than being disgustingly unattractive, it's a great firearm! That being said, the two pistols are absolute garbage and more than deserving of the poor HiPoint reputation. He bought the carbine used but bought both pistols brand new so he has the factory mags as well as an aftermarket spare that he bought for each to try them. He's cleaned them, oiled them, run them dirty and run them dry and they are still the most unreliable firearms that I've ever been a witness to. The .40 cycles about once out of every 3-4 rounds fired and the 9 usually cycles at least every other round and will on rare occasions run through the whole mag flawlessly but like I said, that's a rare thing. The only other HiPoint pistols I've witnessed being shot was a 9mm and it just didn't seem to be capable of making it through 2 mags without some kind of failure but it worked better than the ones owned by my friend. Here's my question, you guys that have experienced acceptable reliability out of them, is the a trick to it or any mods to make such as polishing or?

I find it amazing that there is more than one comment praising HiPoint reliability here. A buddy of mine has a 9mm carbine as well as a 9mm and .40 pistols. I can't praise the reliability and fun factor rating of the carbine enough! Other than being disgustingly unattractive, it's a great firearm! That being said, the two pistols are absolute garbage and more than deserving of the poor HiPoint reputation. He bought the carbine used but bought both pistols brand new so he has the factory mags as well as an aftermarket spare that he bought for each to try them. He's cleaned them, oiled them, run them dirty and run them dry and they are still the most unreliable firearms that I've ever been a witness to. The .40 cycles about once out of every 3-4 rounds fired and the 9 usually cycles at least every other round and will on rare occasions run through the whole mag flawlessly but like I said, that's a rare thing. The only other HiPoint pistols I've witnessed being shot was a 9mm and it just didn't seem to be capable of making it through 2 mags without some kind of failure but it worked better than the ones owned by my friend. Here's my question, you guys that have experienced acceptable reliability out of them, is the a trick to it or any mods to make such as polishing or?

Basicly, you need to take a pair of needle nose pliers and tweek out the feed lips on the mags just a tiny bit outward. You can also polish the feed ramp until it is shiny and super smooth.It is not hard to do at all I just used some 500 and 1000 grit wet or dry sandpaper and a dowel rod. I have a carbine and pistol and love them both. the pistol is so accurate that when we are teaching a new person to shoot we let them shoot it first to see where they need help. I know it will group well and will hit where it is pointed so we can tell if they are jerking the trigger or need help with there grip ect....

my three all run.   the 40 has been near flawless since the first time i shot it.   The 9's mags needed some tweaking but that was easy enough.  The tacticool carbine has a sticky bolt issue but it only is a problem if the gun is warm and I let the bolt stay locked open,  if i release the bolt after the tenth round it is not a problem.

They are just range toys for me but the reliability is there.

.... Here's my question, you guys that have experienced acceptable reliability out of them, is the a trick to it or any mods to make such as polishing or?

Basicly, you need to take a pair of needle nose pliers and tweek out the feed lips on the mags just a tiny bit outward. ....

The mags are the Achilles Heel for Hi-Points, carbine and pistol.

Unlike GunWhatGun's experience though, I find that the lips get too far apart over time and have to be squeezed back together. When too wide, the top round will sit flat rather than have the slight upward angle necessary to feed.  The feed lips are more responsible for that than the follower. I've fixed more than one at ranges for folks who were having jamming difficulties.

I actually keep mine such that the rounds are literally somewhat difficult to load squeezing them past the front of the lips, indeed I load all but the last round by mostly putting the carts in butt down and turning back to the near horizontal rather than sliding them in horizontal to begin with.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

The mags are the Achilles Heel for Hi-Points, carbine and pistol.

Unlike GunWhatGun's experience though, I find that the lips get too far apart over time and have to be squeezed back together. When too wide, the top round will sit flat rather than have the slight upward angle necessary to feed.  The feed lips are more responsible for that than the follower. I've fixed more than one at ranges for folks who were having jamming difficulties.

I actually keep mine such that the rounds are literally somewhat difficult to load squeezing them past the front of the lips, indeed I load all but the last round by mostly putting the carts in butt down and turning back to the near horizontal rather than sliding them in horizontal to begin with.

- OS

Interesting. Are you making the adjustment to the front of the feed lips? (the little fingers that actually touch the projectile) That is where I make mine and that is due to them being too close, dragging on the bullet itself and causing a nose down orientation thus causing a FTF. I wonder if we have two differnet ways of repairing the same issue. OR I am not remembering it correctly from the Hi Point forum when I did my 5 mags 3 years ago and never went to that forum again. Honestly it could be the latter.

Found this......we're both right..

icon1.gifHi-point magazine feed lip adjustments.

Many of you have trouble with your hi-point magazines. Aside from leaving them loaded for a while to let the spring break in , adjusting the magazine feed lips can be done in order to better the function of the magazine. This can be done by bending either the forward or rear feed lips in or out as needed, you can do this easily with a set of needle nosed pliars. Hi-point tech support has also recomended that this be done if needed.

these apply only to the C9 and 995.

Here are a couple of commenly used diagrams that can help give you an idea on how your feed lips should look when adjusting.

• Like 1

Found this......we're both right..

icon1.gifHi-point magazine feed lip adjustments.
Many of you have trouble with your hi-point magazines. Aside from leaving them loaded for a while to let the spring break in , adjusting the magazine feed lips can be done in order to better the function of the magazine. This can be done by bending either the forward or rear feed lips in or out as needed, you can do this easily with a set of needle nosed pliars. Hi-point tech support has also recomended that this be done if needed.

these apply only to the C9 and 995.

Here are a couple of commenly used diagrams that can help give you an idea on how your feed lips should look when adjusting.

(That image is only a tiny unreadable icon and seems you meant to include others which failed), but anyway, whichever way makes the round point upward at about 30 degrees or so. I personally have never had to tweak the rear of the mag spacing, only the front lips, and always closer together.

If the round lays flat or close to flat in mag, it will fail to feed, nose into bottom of chamber ramp. Need to push the top round off and make sure the next ones pops up correctly too, don't just rely on getting only the top one in correct orientation.

I discovered this early on, when I first got a C9. Took it out and fired a hundred rounds, perfect. Then loaded up the three mags I got at home, next time out nothing but problems. What I discovered was that I had used an UPLULA loader at home, and had spread the lips apart with it, as the HP mags are thin steel and the loader is optimized for double stacked mags, easy to come down wrong on narrow one, especially one with thin walls like the HP.

I also had a couple of my carbine's mags just gradually spread apart on their own over time enough to fail, and tweaked them also.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot