Ruger Ar

none

Any one know anything about them. Gander Mountain had them advertised for I think $699.00 which means you can probably find them some where else for a reasonable price. Since I don't have an AR was giving it some thought.
My Dad has a Ruger SR556 piston rifle and it's really nice. Shoots great, looks great, build is really of nice quality, etc.

My ONLY complaint is it has the worst trigger I've ever felt on an AR15. It's super heavy and not smooth at all. We're going to fix that with a Giesle trigger soon. :up:

That said, it's a Ruger and you're going to get a nice quality rifle with.

I toyed around with one in a LGS earlier this week. Honestly, it feels solid.

It's an entry level AR, but had a few nice features such as the bayonet lug, forward assist, dust cover and even came with a popup rear sight. I asked to look at the bolt and the shop owner had to get a rubber mallet to break loose the rear pin. Outside that, no issues. Reviews online are promising... and at $624.. good luck finding one cheaper.

***Edit*** the one thing they skimped on that I should point out is that the barrel is 1:8 twist and is NOT chromed. May break the deal for some, but honestly... if you aren't putting it through the wringer, that may not be an issue. Besides, you could just change the barrel.

Edited by NoBanStan

I wouldn't worry about the non chrome lined if its good steel, which being a Ruger I'm willing to bet it is at the minimum "adequate" :) . In fact I prefer a non chromed barrel since I don't shoot corrosive .223 (does anyone still make any?) and the interwebz insist that a SS barrel will be more accurate. I find that cleaning each is about the same if your whistling a happy tune while you work, I like Walk by Pantera or Walking on Sunshine for a few ideas.

I also like the 1/8 twist just fine and have one on my 'DMR' AR. If you can honestly tell the difference between 1/7 1/8 and 1/9 twist beyond each having a different POA/POI than you are definitely a much better than average shooter, and/or shooting bullet weights at extreme ends of the weight spectrum and probably at long distances. Or you are looking for something that an entry level M4gery wasn't designed for.

I wouldn't say they skimped at all, but as our esteemed Bersaguy would say, thats JMHO....

Edited by TrickyNicky
  • Like 1

Is it a mil-spec trigger or a Ruger design?

It's whatever Ruger puts in their SR556 rifle. I assume just a mil spec trigger.

The trigger on my Sig 716 and Colt LE 6920 out of the box stock are better for whatever reason.

John C, I don't mean to mind your business, but as a word of advice from someone who's been there done that, I would think twice about spending the Geisselle price for a trigger on an entry level rifle until you've scoped out the less expensive ALG triggers. I have found that unless you intend to do some serious target work, the Geisselle SSA trigger is sort of overkill on a recreational range rifle.  Take a look at the ALG ACT trigger in the $65 range - which by the way stands for "Amy Lynn Geisselle A Combat Trigger." T'were it me, (and it ain't,) I'd buy the less expensive trigger and invest the difference in mags, ammo, sights, and things like that. I have both triggers and the Geisselle unit is installed on a scoped rifle where the slightly better trigger pull makes a goodly difference - which I don't think you'll realize on a basic bangaway range rifle. The Geisselle trigger is a supurb piece of equipment, however you decide to use it. Suptayou. Best wishes. 

Edited by LMTFAN
  • Like 1
Stopped in a place today they did their best to talk me into a Smith and Wesson the guy said you know there are only 3 company's that make them and Ruger gets their parts and just assembles them in the US. Finding that hard to believe? Also if brand x was so much better why is it still sitting on the shelf and the Ruger is not. I am just looking for an entry level AR seems like Ruger is going to be a good choice unless I am. Missing something. Edited by wcd

Stopped in a place today they did their best to talk me into a Smith and Wesson the guy said you know there are only 3 company's that make them and Ruger gets their parts and just assembles them in the US. Finding that hard to believe? Also if brand x was so much better why is it still sitting on the shelf and the Ruger is not. I am just looking for an entry level AR seems like Ruger is going to be a good choice unless I am. Missing something.

It'll still be killing zombies about as long as any other AR.

- OS

• Like 1

The Smith and Wesson isn't in the Brand X category if one reads the reviews on it. Along with some other guns, It gets very good reviews in the entry level AR category and has for some time now. I doubt that you'd find a lot of really significant qualitative differences between it and the Ruger.  

Chrome lining is not the best treatment any longer. Melonite treatment is far superior to chrome lining. I know chrome lined is milspec but milspec does not mean it is the best. Eventually the military will adopt melonite for its AR barrels too, they already use it for their machine gun barrels.

I would take melonite over chrome lined any day. It is more durable, more corrosion resistant and more accurate than chrome lined.
  • Like 2
[quote name="LMTFAN" post="1251808" timestamp="1426602881"]The Smith and Wesson isn't in the Brand X category if one reads the reviews on it. Along with some other guns, It gets very good reviews in the entry level AR category and has for some time now. I doubt that you'd find a lot of really significant qualitative differences between it and the Ruger.
[/quote

Wasn't making a judgement about the Smith and Wesson just using "BRAND X" To express my opinion that if this brand or that brand is so much better than the Ruger why are those brands still on the shelf and the Ruger is not?

Just saying Edited by wcd
[quote name="wcd" post="1251930" timestamp="1426628469"]

[quote name="LMTFAN" post="1251808" timestamp="1426602881"]The Smith and Wesson isn't in the Brand X category if one reads the reviews on it. Along with some other guns, It gets very good reviews in the entry level AR category and has for some time now. I doubt that you'd find a lot of really significant qualitative differences between it and the Ruger.
[/quote

Wasn't making a judgement about the Smith and Wesson just using "BRAND X" To express my opinion that if this brand or that brand is so much better than the Ruger why are those brands still on the shelf and the Ruger is not?

Just saying[/quote]

Because Rugers aren't readily available. They are in very short supply. We can order all the Smith's that we want, but there aren't any Rugers to order since apparently Ruger doesn't care to make many.

Yeah no problem guys. I just wanted to let the OP know that there is another good entry level rifle out there with pretty darned good reviews. Best wishes in finding the gun you want.

FWIW I wouldn't sneeze at putting together a rifle from Palmetto State Armory either. They make good stuff for prices in the Ruger/Smith and Wesson range, and often have their assembled lowers and uppers on sale. (If you do this, buy the assembled upper and lower on separate days or they have to sock you with a federal excise tax.)  I've put Palmetto rifles together twice and they are good merchandise. I've seen reports that their uppers are the same ones Colt uses and their stripped lowers are made by Aero Products, so they're using good components. FWIW again.

Edited by LMTFAN

Yeah no problem guys. I just wanted to let the OP know that there is another good entry level rifle out there with pretty darned good reviews. Best wishes in finding the gun you want.

FWIW I wouldn't sneeze at putting together a rifle from Palmetto State Armory either. They make good stuff for prices in the Ruger/Smith and Wesson range, and often have their assembled lowers and uppers on sale. (If you do this, buy the assembled upper and lower on separate days or they have to sock you with a federal excise tax.)  I've put Palmetto rifles together twice and they are good merchandise. I've seen reports that their uppers are the same ones Colt uses and their stripped lowers are made by Aero Products, so they're using good components. FWIW again.

Sorry if my Brand x analogy came across wrong just did not want to come across as putting down anyones favorite brand so I used Brand x so as not to refer to any parilicular brand.