Church and CCW

I ankle carry a j-frame. This is the only place I ankle carry or carry a j-frame.....

A church service (or for that matter a wedding or funeral) is the perfect ankle carry situation. 

You are for the most part sitting down, and it keeps all those huggie/touchie/feelie folks of faith from getting that surprised look on their face when they are just filled with the spirit and have to expressed themselves with a grasp around your waist.  

Nothing like seeing that little old church lady jump back like she had touch the devil himself having felt a Cocked & Locked firearm on your hip. 

Edited by DMark
I attend a church that meets in schools. I've noticed the posting at one of the schools, but it doesn't really matter since schools are off limits in TN anyway. :-(

The priest at my church* said that they only trust in Jesus for protection, but should any unfortunate event happen, the local PD is right down the road.  It was comforting knowing that our fine LEOs with guns could be trusted to come take statements and zip up body bags should some ISIS-inspired lone-wolf terrorist decide to go kill some Christians.  One or two 30-round magazines would be enough to accommodate the terrorist's wishes for everyone in church, and it is a relatively small nave.  My view is that God gave us the reasoning skills and tools to protect ourselves.  We should pray to Jesus that our hands are steady and our aim is true.

*I still consider it my church; I'm just waiting for state law to change or for them to see the light.  Maybe next year on the state law change.  Technically, some lawyers say that I could carry a .17 HMR revolver to the church because Georgia law does not consider a firearm with a caliber smaller than 0.46 cm that discharges a single shot to be a "handgun."  However, the "discharges a single shot" seems to have different interpretations by different people--i.e., shooting more than one projectile at a time vs. being able to hold more than one projectile in the gun at one time, so so far I have not been tempted (also, I haven't seen a .17 HMR handgun).  

Homeland Security came to our safety meeting along with the sheriff and other LEO's for instructional purposes. Church is an emotionally charged place and the most threatened person is usually the pastor because of the encounters associated with counseling. There are many other threats that can happen as well. Protecting the people is a huge responsibility and should not be taken lightly by hoping the police make it in time. The old saying, "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away." applies. Edited by deafdogdief
  • Admin Team

The priest at my church* said that they only trust in Jesus for protection, but should any unfortunate event happen, the local PD is right down the road. It was comforting knowing that our fine LEOs with guns could be trusted to come take statements and zip up body bags should some ISIS-inspired lone-wolf terrorist decide to go kill some Christians. One or two 30-round magazines would be enough to accommodate the terrorist's wishes for everyone in church, and it is a relatively small nave. My view is that God gave us the reasoning skills and tools to protect ourselves. We should pray to Jesus that our hands are steady and our aim is true.

Your priest ought to check out Nehemiah 4. Start around verse 8 and go through to the end of the chapter.

I've always found the account in the Garden of Gethsemane to be interesting - specifically the part where the disciple cuts off the guy's ear with the sword. It's not like these were hid under their garments. Jesus certainly knew they were there. Now mind you, Jesus chose not to fight and go to his death - but, his disciples had weapons in his midst.
  • Like 1

I always carry at church. As others have said it's a prime place should someone want to cause mayhem easily. I know a number of others who do as well. 

A couple three years ago I was wearing some very loose shorts at a Wednesday evening Bible study. Somehow my hip pocket holster worked its way about half way out of my pocket and when I stood at the end of class it dropped to the floor with my P32 coming out and in full sight. The lady in front of me looked down at about the same time I did then said, "that looks just like the one in my purse" I scooped it up and we acted as though nothing had happened. That was the last time I carried that holster.