Stopped by the walmarts on Gunbarrel (heh) road in the 'Nooga today. Overheard a lady asking for some ammo. Lo and behold, they had some CCI. Didn't see which type, or the price. But I bet it was cheaper than Gander or Academy. Hopefully I'll see some Federal 525 round boxes again soon. And at a "normal" price.

BTW, I will never (OK, barring an emergency) pay 10¢/rnd for .22 LR. I'll cast every single round I shoot first.

Forgot to add... this wasn't early in the morning. It was about 7 pm and I don't think they just got a shipment. Edited by Clod Stomper
  • Like 2
Yes, the demand curve is slowly dropping, and many of the online retailers and local dealers have some in stock, usually because they are asking $0.08-$0.10 per round or more.

A month ago I was at a pretty small remote gun shop in PA, only 3 small rooms for a storefront, but I was shocked to see 1.5 rooms literally filled with pallets of ammo stacked almost to the ceiling, wall to wall. This included almost 2 full pallets of 22 lr and several pallets of 5.56 M855, all major brands and freshly made. There was so much ammo in that part of the store that I wasn't comfortable walking in there because you could feel the floor flexing with every step. I'm sure he had it reinforced somehow but it was still on the verge of collapse from the extreme weight. As I shopped the gun side I noticed his business was mostly done online, and the funny thing was that the UPS truck spent about an hour unloading more ammo only to then spend another hour reloading different ammo that had just been sold to ship out to customers. And the crazy part was that his 22 lr wasn't terribly overpriced, just a little high at $32-$35 per brick for the good stuff, but I didn't buy any as I'm good for now until normal prices return.

So the ammo is out there, stock is rising, demand is slowing, and prices dropping. My advice: don't buy any unless you are nearly out, and wait until we see $0.04-$0.05 per round... The good old days!
  • Like 1

... and wait until we see $0.04-$0.05 per round... The good old days!

I hope I am wrong but I have a feeling that if we wait for those prices to come back we had might as well just sell our .22LR guns and move on.  I just don't think it is ever going to happen even if supplies return to normal.  Like most things, ammo prices just don't drop that much once they have gone up.  I think we will be lucky to see seven cents a round as the new 'normal' when the dust all settles.

I hope I am wrong but I have a feeling that if we wait for those prices to come back we had might as well just sell our .22LR guns and move on. I just don't think it is ever going to happen even if supplies return to normal. Like most things, ammo prices just don't drop that much once they have gone up. I think we will be lucky to see seven cents a round as the new 'normal' when the dust all settles.

You are already wrong, as there are still some stores and online retailers selling it for $0.05-$0.06 per round, but they are still selling out quickly. The other guys asking much more have inventory sitting on the shelves, so it's just a matter of time. Look at the AR15 prices which had gone up to $2000-$3000 per rifle just a year or two ago, and now they are back at normal price and even cheaper due to oversupply.
  • Like 1
I saw the elusive 22 at Walmart a hour ago. Walked into sporting goods and looked and there was seven bricks of federal sitting there in the case.

I bought one and watched as three people looked and walked away.

[emoji46]

Should I be worried about a plague that blinds you going around? Edited by Tobashadow

You are already wrong, as there are still some stores and online retailers selling it for $0.05-$0.06 per round, but they are still selling out quickly. The other guys asking much more have inventory sitting on the shelves, so it's just a matter of time. Look at the AR15 prices which had gone up to $2000-$3000 per rifle just a year or two ago, and now they are back at normal price and even cheaper due to oversupply.

plus one on the high price 22 lr ammo sitting on the shelves. you want to see some high price 22 lr ammo setting on the shelves go to benton shooters in benton tennessee.  they got a whole end cap full of high price 22 lr ammo.  been there for some time because the dust has covered the boxes.  i was in wal mart today and no 22 lr ammo. the guy that works there said they had some last tuesday.  he all ways makes that statement.  

plus one on the high price 22 lr ammo sitting on the shelves. you want to see some high price 22 lr ammo setting on the shelves go to benton shooters in benton tennessee.  they got a whole end cap full of high price 22 lr ammo.  been there for some time because the dust has covered the boxes.  i was in wal mart today and no 22 lr ammo. the guy that works there said they had some last tuesday.  he all ways makes that statement.  

I mentioned Benton's in another thread - but if we are talking about the same ammo they had it priced at $7.99 and up for a box of 50 plain ol', run of the mill .22.  Now, since most of the folks who go in there probably know better that is likely going to sit on the shelf.  I didn't buy any as that is certainly more than I will pay.  In the current climate, though, the 'normal' price for .22LR in most places seems to be around $4 to $5 per box of 50.  I still think that when this all shakes out that will be closer to the 'regular' price than the prices we were used to, before.  Maybe not quite $5 per 50 but I would expect $3.99 or so, anyhow.  Once all is said and done, I believe that the days of picking up a $2.50 box of .22LR will be over.  Heck, I remember when .22LR was less than two bucks for a box of 50 and I'm not all that old.

Edited by JAB

.  Heck, I remember when .22LR was less than two bucks for a box of 50 and I'm not all that old.

Your still pretty young.

I still have a BRICK of thunderbolt (500) rounds that I bought for less than $5 in 1987. :cool:

Your still pretty young.

I still have a BRICK of thunderbolt (500) rounds that I bought for less than $5 in 1987. :cool:

I finally last year shot up some Remington 50 round boxes with no bar code and a 25 cent sticker on them.

Date that!

I finally last year shot up some Remington 50 round boxes with no bar code and a 25 cent sticker on them.

Date that!

Just before I went into the Navy I worked at a little neighborhood grocery store and we sold .22 ammo. Shorts were $.20 and LR were $.25. That was in 1962.

Just before I went into the Navy I worked at a little neighborhood grocery store and we sold .22 ammo. Shorts were $.20 and LR were $.25. That was in 1962.

A lot of the country stores would break open a box and sell individual. I was 10 years old walking in and buying 22, Mostly we shot shorts back then.

Date that!

Did they say "Clean Bore" on them? I inheriteda few boxes of them was trying to date them as well?

Your still pretty young.

Young Grasshopper... I've still got a 50 round box of Western Auto .22LR ammo I bought by myself in 1964 for 25 cents. 1/2 cent per round if you will. Thems the good ole days :love:

• Like 1

Young Grasshopper... I've still got a 50 round box of Western Auto .22LR ammo I bought by myself in 1964 for 25 cents. 1/2 cent per round if you will. Thems the good ole days :love:

Good little keepsake, Dennis.

While helping my father-in-law clean up his basement, we found some old 22lr and 22 shorts he bought in the late 50's and early 60's. I tried to talk him out of them, but no success.

One of the Western Auto like yours had a 15 cent stamp on it. I really wanted that one!

Edited by hipower

Yea ,verily remember them old pasteboard boxes Remington red with HI SPEED KLEANBORE in white letters  on a green stripe end flap .. Had the old 1 cent  TN ammo tax stamp as I recall.. The good young days.. Nostalgia, the oldest drug.. 

Sigh, Thanks for the nudge ! 

Yea ,verily remember them old pasteboard boxes Remington red with HI SPEED KLEANBORE in white letters  on a green stripe end flap .. Had the old 1 cent  TN ammo tax stamp as I recall.. The good young days.. Nostalgia, the oldest drug.. 
Sigh, Thanks for the nudge !

Yeah, but they say you're only as old as you feel. lol

Well "they" are darn right tonight. Feet, legs and back are working overtime to give me pain. Guess I shouldn't have dug those Nandina shrubs up and planted new stuff for the wife.

Date that!

Date it?  Heck, I'd be tempted to marry it!  :rofl:

Sorry, I find it difficult to resist a bad pun.

Edited by JAB
I went in the Walmart on Hwy 153 a few days ago and saw they had aguila 22LR 50 round boxes. I'd say they had at lease 30 boxes or so. Nobody was there at all. I also saw they still had a sign up that said 1 box per customer. I didn't get any and didn't even try to find out a price. If I buy 22 I usually only buy the 350, 500 or 550 round bricks.