Possibly moving to TN, need some advice on laws

I would not ship my guns.  Personally, I think the shippers gouge -- forced overnight and high rates for guns -- and they are risky (label the package, where it becomes a target for theft).   I would drive them.  Ship the ammo -- you can replace that if you must.   If you have properly stored guns and NO AMMO in the car, even NY will have trouble finding a problem.   I would take the shortest cut across NY as possible and avoid NJ all together.  It should be fine. 

• Like 1

First thing I plan on doing is stopping at the first gun shop I see in TN and buying some 30rd PMags. Being in MA, I've never been able to buy them with our laws. As a matter of fact, I've never even seen or held one. Ever. Sit back and take that in for a minute...could you guys ever imagine that down there!?

I could imagine some politicians being out of job real quick if that were to happen down here.

Thanks for all the responses guys. It's really appreciated. I can't express how much I want to leave this forsaken state. Our equivalent of this website up north is Northeastshooters.com, and a lot of people list their location as "the People's Republic of MA" (a joke/play on words in reference to North Korea). It's a great forum with a lot of good guys/gals on it, and I go by the same screen name on there, so if anyone visits up here and needs some info, that's the place to go. We do our best up here to fight the good fight, but only so much we can do. Time to leave for me and the family. 

As far as the residency/long gun purchases in TN, I guess I'll give a shop or two a call and see what they say. The only gun I really want to replace quickly is my MR556. It's by far my favorite piece of equipment, and no sense in keeping my state compliant version or spending the money to undo the mods. I'm pretty sure I can fetch around $3k for it up here, and I see Bud's has them for $2700 down there. If anyone knows a shop with a better price on them let me know.

I would not ship my guns.  Personally, I think the shippers gouge -- forced overnight and high rates for guns -- and they are risky (label the package, where it becomes a target for theft).   I would drive them.  Ship the ammo -- you can replace that if you must.   If you have properly stored guns and NO AMMO in the car, even NY will have trouble finding a problem.   I would take the shortest cut across NY as possible and avoid NJ all together.  It should be fine. 

What about shipping a disassembled gun as "machine parts?"  Technically, only the part with serial number is the firearm, right?  Does that affect the cost and the labels on the package?  

FWIW, I know a guy who has traveled from Delaware to Georgia with an AR; it makes my sphincter clench just thinking about the trip through Maryland.  I advised him to disassemble it and keep it buried beneath luggage (and never to consent to a search).  So far he has made the trip twice without problems.  I guess we hear about the horror stories of people stopped in the bad states more often than the hundreds of non-event trips because of the sensationalism.

I believe TN honors my MA LTC (license to carry), so I think I'm all set with possession once I cross state line, though I if I understand correctly, I'd need a license in TN to actually conceal carry(?).

Yes, TN honors your MA LTC. You have 6 months from the time you move here to get a TN HCP (handgun carry permit). Until then your MA LTC is equal to a TN HCP. In TN, you can carry open or concealed. The choice is yours. That's true with your out of state MA license (for 6 months) as well as for your TN HCP once you get it.

https://www.tn.gov/safety/handgunmain.shtml

We have a Boston's Market right here in Gallatin, 35 miles north east of Nashville.......................... :up:

Boston Market is not a real sample of Boston area cuisine.

Now if he brings some Chicken Parm subs from a Mom & Pop shop down with him, that would be real Boston food. 

The only gun I really want to replace quickly is my MR556. It's by far my favorite piece of equipment, and no sense in keeping my state compliant version or spending the money to undo the mods. I'm pretty sure I can fetch around $3k for it up here, and I see Bud's has them for $2700 down there. If anyone knows a shop with a better price on them let me know.

get rid of it up there no one will pay for any kind of 'compliant' weapon around here because then they'll just have to work on it and undo all of the fuckery that has been done or pay someone else to do it when they can get the normal model anywhere around here.

What about shipping a disassembled gun as "machine parts?"  Technically, only the part with serial number is the firearm, right?  Does that affect the cost and the labels on the package?  

FWIW, I know a guy who has traveled from Delaware to Georgia with an AR; it makes my sphincter clench just thinking about the trip through Maryland.  I advised him to disassemble it and keep it buried beneath luggage (and never to consent to a search).  So far he has made the trip twice without problems.  I guess we hear about the horror stories of people stopped in the bad states more often than the hundreds of non-event trips because of the sensationalism.

you can ship all but the "gun" part (which is generally the frame?) however you like.   But then you are still stuck with the frames having to go in the car.   If it makes you feel better you could ship the pieces, sure.  

Well, in my experience you have to be doing something to get your car searched.   Being from the south might do it if you were up in NY or NJ. But starting out there with a yankee license plate should not draw attention up there.   I mean I have been stopped, I dunno,  dozens of times, probably over 50 over my life, and never a car search.   Don't argue or start a bunch of bs with a cop, and they will usually let you go (with or without a ticket) without any extra nonsense.   

Hi all,

This is my first post and visit to this site, so please excuse me if I am in the wrong topic area.

I currently live in the horrible state of Massachusetts (Boston area), but there is a fairly decent chance that my wife and I will be relocating to Nashville this fall. We have family in TN and KY, so we are trying our best to make this happen even though it will be a stress fest getting it all put together.

My question is in regards to how in the hell to get my firearms down to TN should I move. I know about FOPA law, but I also know states like NY and NJ don't typically give a damn and have arrested people in the past for trying to move firearms through the state, even when clearly in compliance with FOPA. I believe TN honors my MA LTC (license to carry), so I think I'm all set with possession once I cross state line, though I if I understand correctly, I'd need a license in TN to actually conceal carry(?). 

At any rate, just looking for suggestions on how to get them down there safely, legally and in one piece. I could ship I suppose, but not sure if law allows private citizen to private citizen interstate, even though it's no a sale or transfer. I do have family in both Nashville and Louisville, so if I could some how legally get the stuff down there, I could just pick it up on the way (Louisville) or when I get to Nashville.

Thanks for any advice, and I realize you guys aren't firearms lawyers, so don't worry, I know this is all just general advice/opinion.

I don't know anything about CT and don't know if you need to go though that state at all.  Avoid New Jersey State and New York City at all costs there are a few other bad county's in New York state I would personally head west and go down the center of the state and avoid the eastern side of the state.  I would suggest not getting a hotel in New York state to avoid accidentally staying in one of the bad parts of the state and plan your route according.  Most other parts of the county are generally pretty good with FOPA carry.  PA shouldn't be a problem.  MD state isn't as bad as either NY or NJ.  MD laws pretty much matches FOPA and if anything might be a little loser.  You shouldn't need to go into DC at all.  VA wont be a problem.   

Thanks

Robert

How often do some of you guys get pulled over? Just obey the laws and be on your merry way.

Weren't there reports of Maryland cops targeting out-of-state cars?  There was at least one case where a guy from Florida was detained and his car searched because they knew he owned a gun (that he left at home), and the authorities refuse to explain how the officer knew that the victim had a gun.  Presumably it was because the Florida carry license is connected to his driver's license or license plate, and Maryland somehow had access to that database.

Here is one story: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/01/robert-farago/are-md-cops-targeting-out-of-state-gun-owners-for-traffic-stop-searches/

And more about their license plate readers in general with mention of the Florida gun owner:  http://phasezero.gawker.com/inside-the-military-police-center-that-spies-on-baltimo-1700670585

Weren't there reports of Maryland cops targeting out-of-state cars?  There was at least one case where a guy from Florida was detained and his car searched because they knew he owned a gun (that he left at home), and the authorities refuse to explain how the officer knew that the victim had a gun.  Presumably it was because the Florida carry license is connected to his driver's license or license plate, and Maryland somehow had access to that database.

Here is one story: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/01/robert-farago/are-md-cops-targeting-out-of-state-gun-owners-for-traffic-stop-searches/

And more about their license plate readers in general with mention of the Florida gun owner:  http://phasezero.gawker.com/inside-the-military-police-center-that-spies-on-baltimo-1700670585

I live in the state of MD for a few more weeks at least and know several people in law enforcement.  From the LEO I know they have never seen anything like that in there system. If there is a link in some system it isn't available to most of law enforcement.  That case is screwed up in so many ways and there are anti in every state.  Maryland law allows weapons to be transported as long as they are unload and ammo is not in the same case as the weapon pretty much the FOPA standard.  The only difference is in the case of Handguns you must be taking it to one of a handful of places these include to a range and home so it you stay the night in the state make sure you leave the guns in the hotel when you go out for food.  Unlike CA the law doesn't include the word direct but many LEO's believe it to be there so it is better to not test fate.  Maryland's laws are bad just not as bad as NJ, NY, or CA.

PS.  We don't have any laws limiting transport of higher capacity mags just buying and sell them.  We have laws regarding M1A, AK47, and AR15 (None HBar) purchased after Sept 1, 2013 but I don't know is there is an issue transporting them though the state but I doubt you could buy those in MA anyway.

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle