Tennessee Man Admits Plotting Armed Militia Attack, Firebombing Of Muslim Community In New York

I'm a bit miffed that this news is only on the outskirts of the web.  If a Muslim had been caught trying to put together an attack like this, the government would be doing victory laps at stopping the threat and spinning it to justify funding levels.

So, it appears we have a "man of God" who believes it was some type of duty to kill Muslim's.  So, to those who ask, when was the last time Christian extremism breed "terrorist' qualities, here you go.  Enjoy Robert Doggart.

“Our small group will soon be faced with the fight of our lives. We will offer those lives as collateral to prove our commitment to our God,” Doggart said in a Facebook post, according to court documents. “We shall be Warriors who will inflict horrible numbers of casualties upon the enemies of our Nation and World Peace.”

http://www.heavy.com/news/2015/05/robert-doggart-tennessee-congressional-candidate-islamberg-new-york-anti-muslim-islam-attack-arrest-court-documents-photos-charges-plea-patriot/

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2015/5/16/300568/Former-3rd-District-Congressional.aspx

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/nation/2015/05/16/former-congressional-candidate-planned-to-attack-new-york-mosque/27453961/

Three questions come to mind

1) Why isn't this news?

2) Why did this guy get such a sweet plea bargain from the feds?

3) How is he out until sentencing with only electronic surveillance and $30,000 bond after pleading guilty?

ETA: Wasn't sure if this qualifies as "politics" or not.  Put in General Chat since it didn't have a primary political angle, but won't be upset if it needs to be moved by an admin.

Edited by btq96r
The difference in the point you're trying to make and the truth is that the religion of Islam endorses the violent acts of its followers, the bible does not endorse this idiot's actions.

Sorry, I in no way condone this idiots actions, and I believe he should be hung just like a jihadi, but I can't take you seriously when you obviously can't see the difference between a religion that encourages its followers to kill non believers and a fringe nut job. Edited by KKing
  • Like 8

I get that Islam is more "kill the non-believers" than tolerance by the letter of its law.  But this man used his religious beliefs to justify a plan for mass murder.  At best he's an old testament type of guy, and that part of the bible would probably be in agreement with him.

I'm honestly more perturbed that this guy is getting off quite light for what he was coordinating to do, and that there isn't much mainstream coverage.

I get that Islam is more "kill the non-believers" than tolerance by the letter of its law. But this man used his religious beliefs to justify a plan for mass murder.

I can claim I'm killing folks because I'm a spider monkey. But so what?

To your point about media coverage...
This doesn't breed the type of sensationalism that news networks live and breathe off of. My guess would be that's why. This guy is just a nut. I'm not downplaying his actions, but I think most would write him off as exactly that. Edited by KKing
  • Like 1

The more I read about all the wire taps, the more I think the Feds may have screwed up this case. . Or he rolled over on some "bigger fish". Or his being in politics, he used his "get out if jail  free card". They do take care of their own, no matter how "nuts" they may be. Just my :2cents:

P.S.  I live very close to Signal Mtn. in Sequatchie county, and just now found out about this. So I don't think it made the local news either, or I missed it.

Edited by crossfire
I agree he is getting off easy. If his threats were creditable he should be going to prison for the rest of his life. Everyone gets charged with some kind of “terrorist” type stuff anymore. This is a clear cut case of it, so I would guess he may have some mental problems (other than the obvious) that caused the deal.

Facebook? Really? Freedom of speech does not cover threating to kill people; we need to either start throwing these azzhats in jail or sending them to the mental wards.

Did he have an M4 or an AR?
  • Authorized Vendor

I can claim I'm killing folks because I'm a spider monkey. But so what?

To your point about media coverage...
This doesn't breed the type of sensationalism that news networks live and breathe off of. My guess would be that's why. This guy is just a nut. I'm not downplaying his actions, but I think most would write him off as exactly that.

Nailed it. :up:

• Like 1

The difference in the point you're trying to make and the truth is that the religion of Islam endorses the violent acts of its followers, the bible does not endorse this idiot's actions.

Sorry, I in no way condone this idiots actions, and I believe he should be hung just like a jihadi, but I can't take you seriously when you obviously can't see the difference between a religion that encourages its followers to kill non believers and a fringe nut job.

The info above is stated as fact when it isn't. The Bible has plenty that could be interpreted as justifying violence. Christian's deny this in a variety of ways which tend to revolve around specific passages being taken out of context, which I agree with. I am a Christian and don't view Christianity as a violent religion.

Many Muslims feel the same way about Islam - that claims of it being a violent religion are being taken out of context. Their assertion is supported by the vast majority of Muslims that are peaceful.

It doesn't make sense to me to allow grace for my religion, yet not for people that have different beliefs.

The big problem with religion is the same as with many other things - people get involved in it. Whenever people are involved there will always be a small group that makes everyone else in the same group look bad.

Also, I'll go ahead and state now that I won't be betting into an online argument on this issue.
  • Like 1

I'm a bit miffed that this news is only on the outskirts of the web.  If a Muslim had been caught trying to put together an attack like this, the government would be doing victory laps at stopping the threat and spinning it to justify funding levels.

So, it appears we have a "man of God" who believes it was some type of duty to kill Muslim's.  So, to those who ask, when was the last time Christian extremism breed "terrorist' qualities, here you go.  Enjoy Robert Doggart.

“Our small group will soon be faced with the fight of our lives. We will offer those lives as collateral to prove our commitment to our God,” Doggart said in a Facebook post, according to court documents. “We shall be Warriors who will inflict horrible numbers of casualties upon the enemies of our Nation and World Peace.”

http://www.heavy.com/news/2015/05/robert-doggart-tennessee-congressional-candidate-islamberg-new-york-anti-muslim-islam-attack-arrest-court-documents-photos-charges-plea-patriot/

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2015/5/16/300568/Former-3rd-District-Congressional.aspx

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/nation/2015/05/16/former-congressional-candidate-planned-to-attack-new-york-mosque/27453961/

Three questions come to mind

1) Why isn't this news?

2) Why did this guy get such a sweet plea bargain from the feds?

3) How is he out until sentencing with only electronic surveillance and $30,000 bond after pleading guilty?

ETA: Wasn't sure if this qualifies as "politics" or not.  Put in General Chat since it didn't have a primary political angle, but won't be upset if it needs to be moved by an admin.

Maybe it would have been news worthy if they had actually blew up a Mosque or two and Killed a few people. Just talking about doing it doesn't count I guess?.......................... :shrug: :shrug:

The info above is stated as fact when it isn't. The Bible has plenty that could be interpreted as justifying violence. Christian's deny this in a variety of ways which tend to revolve around specific passages being taken out of context, which I agree with. I am a Christian and don't view Christianity as a violent religion.

Many Muslims feel the same way about Islam - that claims of it being a violent religion are being taken out of context. Their assertion is supported by the vast majority of Muslims that are peaceful.

It doesn't make sense to me to allow grace for my religion, yet not for people that have different beliefs.

The big problem with religion is the same as with many other things - people get involved in it. Whenever people are involved there will always be a small group that makes everyone else in the same group look bad.

Also, I'll go ahead and state now that I won't be betting into an online argument on this issue.

Redacted. See below, I can fall in line with Omega on this Edited by KKing

For full disclosure I am more agnostic than anything.  While I think I know what you are trying to say, I am not sure your comparison is quite on target to what some of us believe. While I concur that the Koran and the Bible both have some questionable passages, but as far as I know there are not many, if any, churches that preach death to muslims, or any religion.  With Muslims,  there are entire Countries preaching death to the infidels.  If, as they say, most muslims don't feel that way, then why have they not put an end to the behavior which leads us to think of them all as terrorists?  When a Christian or just about any non-muslim goes off the rail and threatens others even their own fellow religious members will condemn their actions right away.  There have been a few that have acted out on their extreme religious views, but they remain on the fringe and in no way represent the proportions that terrorists do with muslims.

• Like 1

It is in no way, shape or form of what Jesus teaches.

No, but the Old Testament does, and many Christians claim it is to be taken as literally as the New Testament.

There are dozens of infractions for which the prescription is death in the the Old Testament, and worshiping a different god than Yahweh is one of them.

Christianity has only become the non-bellicose version we see now over the last 500 years, and that's about how much younger Islam is now, so maybe it'll eventually come around too. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
ok, I'll discuss / debate this some more - though I won't argue.

KKing, your comments on my response, which I acknowledge that you redacted, were argument.

I'll refer to the following quotes from this thread:

"the truth is that the religion of Islam endorses the violent acts of its followers,... "
"With Muslims, there are entire Countries preaching death to the infidels."

One of the big issues I have is with all or nothing which is shown in the quotes above. KKing, one of my points is that your statement above has taken the actions of some Muslims and applied it to the whole religion. The are many people who do not agree with your statement.

Omega, Can you let me know some of the countries where the the entire population is preaching death to infidels?

All or nothing thinking enables thinking of entire populations as bad, less than, etc..., which has lead to some awfully horrific behavior against some populations.

The other big point I was trying to make is that it doesn't makes sense to me to explain awayissues with my religion, yet not grant the same to others. Gotthegoods said, "It is in no way, shape or form of what Jesus teaches."

As far as I know, he is correct in this. What isn't mentioned in his statement is the extensive violence in The Old Testament. As an example, in 1st Samuel 15:3 God told King Saul to perform genocide against the Amalekites. King Saul spares their king and kept some of the livestock. God was angry and took his kingdom away.

It would be very easy to make negative comments about Christianity based on this part of the Bible. Yet, it isn't that simple. A lot of context has to be considered when evaluating this story.

I don't know how to explain this story. Regardless of that, I believe that God doesn't approve of genocide or much of the behavior humans do to each other.

In the same way that I believe what I just stated, I think I need allow those with different beliefs to do the same thing. There are plenty of Muslims who don't believe that their religion preaches violence.

ok, off to bed for me.
  • Like 1

ok, I'll discuss / debate this some more - though I won't argue.

KKing, your comments on my response, which I acknowledge that you redacted, were argument.

I'll refer to the following quotes from this thread:

"the truth is that the religion of Islam endorses the violent acts of its followers,... "
"With Muslims, there are entire Countries preaching death to the infidels."

One of the big issues I have is with all or nothing which is shown in the quotes above. KKing, one of my points is that your statement above has taken the actions of some Muslims and applied it to the whole religion. The are many people who do not agree with your statement.

Omega, Can you let me know some of the countries where the the entire population is preaching death to infidels?

All or nothing thinking enables thinking of entire populations as bad, less than, etc..., which has lead to some awfully horrific behavior against some populations.

The other big point I was trying to make is that it doesn't makes sense to me to explain awayissues with my religion, yet not grant the same to others. Gotthegoods said, "It is in no way, shape or form of what Jesus teaches."

As far as I know, he is correct in this. What isn't mentioned in his statement is the extensive violence in The Old Testament. As an example, in 1st Samuel 15:3 God told King Saul to perform genocide against the Amalekites. King Saul spares their king and kept some of the livestock. God was angry and took his kingdom away.

It would be very easy to make negative comments about Christianity based on this part of the Bible. Yet, it isn't that simple. A lot of context has to be considered when evaluating this story.

I don't know how to explain this story. Regardless of that, I believe that God doesn't approve of genocide or much of the behavior humans do to each other.

In the same way that I believe what I just stated, I think I need allow those with different beliefs to do the same thing. There are plenty of Muslims who don't believe that their religion preaches violence.

ok, off to bed for me.

Have you seen this: https://youtu.be/90JNEJj4YOg , there are plenty more from other countries but I'll let you get some of these yourself as it makes me feel dirty looking through these.

I can't think of anything else politically correct to say about any of it. The jihadis or the nutbag from the OP. I heard he was gay, though.

And something about a cake. Edited by KKing
  • Like 1

I can't think of anything else politically correct to say about any of it. The jihadis or the nutbag from the OP. I heard he was gay, though.

And something about a cake.

Did the man plan on killing Muslims with a 9mm or a .45ACP? Because it does make a difference.  :)