Real SHTF Event Unfolding in Maryville, Train Derailment

Would you have been prepared for this 24 to 48 hour mandatory evacuation that is unfolding now?  Happened wee early hours this morning, train derailment with toxic chemicals and flames, about 15 miles Southwest of Knoxville:

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/2015/07/02/mandatory-evacuation-underway-following-blount-county--train-fire/29605729/

Authorities said at least 5,000 people are under a mandatory evacuation Thursday morning following a train fire in Blount County.

According to a Blount Memorial Hospital spokesperson, 12 emergency responders are supposed to be decontaminated.

Around midnight a train fire was reported near Old Mt. Tabor Road, which is located off Highway 321, just west of the Foothills Mall. The CSX train was carrying Acrylonitrile, which is a flammable and poisonous liquid.

Mandatory evacuations of a nearby apartment complex started around 12:30 a.m. and it includes a two mile radius.

The Red Cross is setting up a shelter at Heritage High School in Maryville for those who do not have a place to stay while the evacuations are in effect. Authorities said evacuees cannot bring pets to the Red Cross shelter at Heritage High School.

Animals can be dropped off at the Blount County Animal Shelter at 233 Curie Avenue in Maryville. According to Don Stallions, the Director of General Services, people cannot stay at the shelter. The Blount County Animal Shelter will feed and take care of pets.

We are told by the Blount County Sheriff's Department that these evacuations may be in effect for 24 to 48 hours.

The Alcoa Walmart located at 1030 Hunters CrossingMandatory evacuation is required for the following areas:

• Those along Middlesettlements Road are being evacuated to state Highway 129
  • Denso Manufacturing
  • Ashley Apartments
  • Stone Tree Apartments

Denso Manufacturing employees in Maryville will not report to work Thursday morning due to train derailment evacuations.

According to the EPA's web site, Acrylonitrile is primarily used in the manufacture of acrylic and modacrylic fibers. It known to cause mucous membrane irritation, headaches, dizziness, and nausea.

We do have a crew on the scene and will continue to update this story throughout Thursday morning.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too far from me, though thankfully we're still home. It's closer to my in-laws, haven't heard from them yet. Work is closed today.

For us, a 24-48 hr evac would be more inconvenient than anything else. The evacuation area is relatively small.

Ground and water contamination is going be an issue in the immediate vicinity. Edited by peejman

This is an excellent reason to have a bug out bag handy. My friend is just outside the evac zone. He says he can smell it in the air.

It would be a good idea to keep some of those medical masks or a bandanna in your BOB for events like this. They have other uses as well.

Thanks for posting this. As I was reading this post and thinking I was glad it was on the Appalachian division instead of the Nashville division my phone rang and I just put our gang on standby. I'll post more if I have to go

I've always wondered about the legality of cops being able to force you from your home during an emergency. Have courts ruled on this in the past?

Usually with something chemical like this EOD will get involved.

By the book - for an airborne chemical event like this the immediate standoff is 5000meters downwind and 2000meters around. Im not too familiar with this compound but nitrates are usually bad for you - especially when they cook off and explode; chem, metal and elec fires are no joke.

Looks like theyre erring on the extreme side of caution - won't take much for someone to develop chest pains and want to start a civil suit against someone. I think this is just a greed deterrent.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I understand the risk. I'm just asking how the police have any legal way of making you leave your house.

I'm interested to see an answer as well, but I'm guessing it has something to do with state of emergency or something like that. Edited by nightrunner

I don't know how many folks remember when those propane tank cars exploded in Waverly in the mid 70's and a lot of folks were injured and some killed. The police didn't really have a lot of time to react and get folks to safety. I think they may have learned a lot from that horrible situation so now they are acting on the side of caution for the good of the people nearest the site of the derailment. I don't actually know if they can force you to leave your home but thinking of my family if I were in the danger zone I would leave and go to a friends home or motel away from the danger area rather than a shelter and my pets would go with me and not a shelter.........Just my ......... :2cents:

Don't think they can force you to leave but if they make a mandatory evacuation and you don't leave, it's on you.

From what Google has found for me, this is the case. A formal "state of emergency " declaration might change things, but I don't think they can make you leave.

Didn't they force people out in Louisiana and seize their guns?

Yes. Because of this LA and a few other states(I think) went on to pass laws to make sure this doesn't happen again(supposedly). 

Florida recently passed a law that if you need to bug out during a state of emergency you can carry your firearm(s) even if you don't have a CCW for up to 3 days. Previously the law stated that even people with CCW permits couldn't be armed during a state of emergency. This applied to the entire state. So even if there was a hurricane in the Keys you couldn't carry up in the panhandle. 

What is the law in Tennessee? Are we allowed to carry during a state of emergency?

AFAIK, firearm possession same as otherwise, and power granted to Gov to limit is specifically denied.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot