Shootings in Chattanooga and Cleveland?!?!

David Folkenflik (sp) of NPR, just said in reference to the Chattanooga attack, that "that thing down in Tennessee" was "suicide by cop".
That's the first time I've heard the media or NPR refer to the attack since shortly after it happened. I've no doubt that that's the edict that's been handed down, as I doubt Mr. Folkenflik would make that proclamation on his own. I realize the label doesn't matter or change what gappened, but the fact that our military was targeted by someone on our own shores and it's being described as just a run of the mill suicide by cop is sickening. Suicide by cop generally doesn't involve a murderous rampage across multiple venues.

I'm not familiar with David, but I wouldn't exclude the possibility he had a really stupid thought all by himself.  Presenting it as "just" suicide by cop is ridiculous.  I suppose the end might have been suicide by cop, but the beginning and middle seem like a terrorist attack.  As you said, I would not have expected him to leave the original scene if it were "just" a suicide by cop.

I was just curious if anyone else had been hearing the Chattanooga attack being referred to as "suicide by cop" or if anyone had additional info about the findings of the investigation.
I assume this means that's what the FBI decided took place instead of a mass murder, terrorism, what have you.

This was in the local news this week:  http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/30738036/5-months-after-chattanooga-feds-quiet-on-any-terror-links

Authorities have carefully avoided using the same wording about the Kuwaiti-born gunman behind the killing of five military personnel five months ago in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

FBI spokeswoman Joyce McCants says the agency may have an update on the Chattanooga case this week.
Edited by dawgdoc

"Experts say the ramped-up visibility of terrorism after the deadly attacks in Paris has created a different climate for how authorities discuss such investigations."

"FBI spokeswoman Joyce McCants says the agency may have an update on the Chattanooga case this week."

Indeed, acknowledging the event as "terrorism" at this late date would seem to verify the first contention, basically that it's not reason but politics that determines such stuff.

Hell, maybe they'll "reevaluate" Fort Hood massacre. Still never acknowledged as terrorism, and took an act of Congress just to get folks the frigging Purple Heart.

- OS

Well,... I have long listened to NPR, and I turned them off this week ... I don't know it all, but it just turned my stomach to hear the repeated, intentional labeling of the San Bernadino attackers as "the shooters"... and the attack as "the mass shooting"  -- without so much as a hint of the thought of a terror connection.

As serious as the evidence is, and as hard as the government is looking at the connections, this is far from an oversight on NPR's part.

They should be ashamed, and I fear they are not.

"Experts say the ramped-up visibility of terrorism after the deadly attacks in Paris has created a different climate for how authorities discuss such investigations."

"FBI spokeswoman Joyce McCants says the agency may have an update on the Chattanooga case this week."

Indeed, acknowledging the event as "terrorism" at this late date would seem to verify the first contention, basically that it's not reason but politics that determines such stuff.

Hell, maybe they'll "reevaluate" Fort Hood massacre. Still never acknowledged as terrorism, and took an act of Congress just to get folks the frigging Purple Heart.

- OS

Obama himself referred to the Ft Hood shooting as terrorism in his Sunday night address a few weeks ago. Better late than never? He does have a history of denying acts of terrorism until a much later date.

I can't get my head around how intentionally burying this story and misleading the American people about the killers motives is beneficial to anyone.

I believe it is the perception that it is beneficial to an administration which wants to say terrorist attacks haven't happened on our soil during their tenure. Seems a losing battle after Boston, Ft Hood, Times Square, Dallas, Chattanooga, San Bernardino.... but it seems they're still fighting the good fight.

I was just curious if anyone else had been hearing the Chattanooga attack being referred to as "suicide by cop" or if anyone had additional info about the findings of the investigation.

I see no possible way he was seeking cop assisted suicide Edited by Patton
I recall some speculation about the killer attacking the military to cleanse his own sins (based on his browser history), but I haven't heard anything about it since the summer. I also don't remember if they have stated what guns he used and where he got them.

... I also don't remember if they have stated what guns he used and where he got them.

Nothing official to date AFAIK.

Widely reported that "a law office" said an AK and a 9mm pistol.  Also widely reported that the Reinhold (FBI agent in charge) said he got "at least some of them legally". All those stories point to NBC news as source but none of the links I follow actually show NBC saying that any more and can find no vid or direct quote from ABC or of a press conference where he did either. No pix of the weapons ever surfaced.

Whole thing has been played closer to the vest than any other shooting in recent memory.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot