Shootings in Chattanooga and Cleveland?!?!

So an ar10 would be transammo and protected because of using nato 7.62 and .308?

No, that's like preferring brunette over blond, more like using a 9mm barrel in a .40 and vise versa.  I guess an AR is already that way, 9mm, 5.56, .308, 300BLK.

Me too. I've been carrying the G19 a lot lately. I've used it extensively in 3gun, and I feel a lot more comfortable with it than my small 9's. It gets annoying wearing it sometimes though.

I almost always have an AR in the truck. The scenario of being misidentified is a very real concern. If it's ever needed, I think it would be a good idea to put it away as soon as the threat is gone. Responding LEOs would probably have a strong expectation bias if they encountered anyone standing there with an AR as they roll up to a shooting call.

I have recently gone from carrying my Shield 9 to my 19 with 2 spare mags. I love my Shield but in these times I have a little more comfort with 45 rounds of 9 mm in 3 mags. The shield went to yard work/mowing duty.
  • Like 1

I wonder if anyone here is sweating thinking they may have sold/traded a AK to someone in the Chatt. area, and somehow this less than human person ended up with it?   Hmmmm........

Folks, this is a major reason why I stopped trading/selling 20+ years ago.  The risk is too great, or the personal guilt would be too much to bare at least for a person like me.  I'm not concerned if it was legal, just the personal responsibility aspect. 

Why bother to point this out, I think everyone here knows the clown posing as president is a loser but worth a post I guess.

Just hours after four U.S. Marines were shot and killed by Islamic terrorist Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez in Chattanooga Thursday, the White House announced President Obama has plans to go see Hamilton on Broadway over the weekend.

News link here.

I wonder if anyone here is sweating thinking they may have sold/traded a AK to someone in the Chatt. area, and somehow this less than human person ended up with it?   Hmmmm........

Folks, this is a major reason why I stopped trading/selling 20+ years ago.  The risk is too great, or the personal guilt would be too much to bare at least for a person like me.  I'm not concerned if it was legal, just the personal responsibility aspect. 

Most of the people on here would ask to see a license or hcp to prove residency... If someone here sold him something, they already know it and I'm sure have been in contact with who they needed to be.

There's reports of armed citizens standing guard at some recruitment centers in GA and VA.

I just went by the recruitment center in Chattanooga, and the crowd is growing. Flags, flowers and memorials are starting to fill the grass in front. Multiple news crews of course.
  • Like 2

If a member of the United States Armed Forces, especially one that is extensively trained in the use of small arms, cannot safely handle a pistol in public, then there is something radically wrong with our training establishment. I don't think for a minute that this is any more of a safety issue than for a police officer to carry one. Give them the damn guns.

Heard a Marine on Uncle Phil today. He said he did 4 tours overseas, and two in a recruitment office. He said most Marines in recruitment centers have zero experience with firearms. They MAY have handled a rifle briefly, and NEVER a handgun. He said everyone wants to arm these guys, but they have no clue, and would need proper training first.

Heard a Marine on Uncle Phil today. He said he did 4 tours overseas, and two in a recruitment office. He said most Marines in recruitment centers have zero experience with firearms. They MAY have handled a rifle briefly, and NEVER a handgun. He said everyone wants to arm these guys, but they have no clue, and would need proper training first.

Train them then.

• Like 6

I sort of get this, and sort of don't.  I mean, our argument about having guns and all ...  we argue that gun laws don't really stop a determined idiot from getting one somehow, somewhere.   Your approach is pretty much the gun control approach: deny everyone and the bad guy never gets one.    I understand that one might try to blame themselves if something like this DID happen.  Its hard not to do that, its human nature for a compassionate, decent person to wonder what they could have done differently if somehow their actions were tangential to a horrible incident.  

It could have been me.  So what if it was?   Am I responsible for this?   No, only the shooter is.  If not a gun, he can make a bomb.  Poison a buffet downtown at lunchtime.  Knock down a building.   Drive up the sidewalk.   You can't stop someone who is hellbent on causing damage but hidden amongst the public by trying to deny everyone access to everything that could possibly remotely be used for mayhem.   It is simply not possible.   All you can do is wait for them to stick their head up and start their crap, then "stop the threat" with whatever you have available to do so.

Its your personal choice of course.   But if everyone stopped selling guns because someone out there might act like an idiot with one ... the world becomes a poorer place, and in truth, if that happens, the bad guys won.   Because then, no one can stop the threat anymore. 

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

Most of the people on here would ask to see a license or hcp to prove residency... If someone here sold him something, they already know it and I'm sure have been in contact with who they needed to be.

???

He was a TN resident. Any other TN resident who sold him a gun would have done so within the law. Matter of fact, he had no disqualifying history that would have negated a purchase from an FFL either.

Maybe he had an HCP, too.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Please help me understand this. If they are Marines then they did go thru basic training and shoot both rifles and pistols correct?? I would have to argue about the no clue phrase. If they need additional training to carry then train them.

• Like 2

Please help me understand this. If they are Marines then they did go thru basic training and shoot both rifles and pistols correct?? I would have to argue about the no clue phrase. If they need additional training to carry then train them.

Not sure about the Marines, but we in the Army do not get handgun training in basic. And until I got into special ops, handguns were only assigned to the CDR, 1SG and Plt Leaders. But that does not mean that training can't be scheduled ASAP for at least those in isolated (not on a base) locations. And they could quickly just allow those that already have a CCW carry immediately, the rest once qualified.
  • Like 1

Not sure about the Marines, but we in the Army do not get handgun training in basic. And until I got into special ops, handguns were only assigned to the CDR, 1SG and Plt Leaders. But that does not mean that training can't be scheduled ASAP for at least those in isolated (not on a base) locations. And they could quickly just allow those that already have a CCW carry immediately, the rest once qualified.

So let 'em just have an M4 handy, so much the better.

- OS

• Like 4

Let me relate a story. Years ago, I worked at another FFL. One night, there was an elderly black woman that came in close to closing time. She was interested in getting a revolver. We showed her a few, she picked one she really liked, passed the background check quickly, paid for it, and all was fine.

As she got to the door, she turned to us and said, "Now that son of a bitch will never bother me again," and out the door she went.

We never heard any more...

I sort of get this, and sort of don't.  I mean, our argument about having guns and all ...  we argue that gun laws don't really stop a determined idiot from getting one somehow, somewhere.   Your approach is pretty much the gun control approach: deny everyone and the bad guy never gets one.    I understand that one might try to blame themselves if something like this DID happen.  Its hard not to do that, its human nature for a compassionate, decent person to wonder what they could have done differently if somehow their actions were tangential to a horrible incident.  

It could have been me.  So what if it was?   Am I responsible for this?   No, only the shooter is.  If not a gun, he can make a bomb.  Poison a buffet downtown at lunchtime.  Knock down a building.   Drive up the sidewalk.   You can't stop someone who is hellbent on causing damage but hidden amongst the public by trying to deny everyone access to everything that could possibly remotely be used for mayhem.   It is simply not possible.   All you can do is wait for them to stick their head up and start their crap, then "stop the threat" with whatever you have available to do so.

Its your personal choice of course.   But if everyone stopped selling guns because someone out there might act like an idiot with one ... the world becomes a poorer place, and in truth, if that happens, the bad guys won.   Because then, no one can stop the threat anymore. 

No my approach is not the gun control approach, but rather personal responsibility. 

When you as an individual sell/trade to Joe Smole, he may give you the necessary credentials and such, but yet he may not be 100% truthful or he may be genuine and trade your piece on down the road to someone without the same due diligence that you had.  I get this is all legal and such, and I am not advocating this practice to stop, but for "ME" and "ME" alone, I just don't care for the personal responsibility or potential scrutiny that may come from a investigation.  I take gun ownership very serious both as a right to own, but also the great responsibility of disposition if and when this separation has to occur.  

When I was young, I use to dabble in guns before I became a FFL, and then I made a living for a while as a FFL over 20 years ago.  Being a FFL is different than selling/trading as a individual (my opinion the legal risk is less for FFL), but as an individual the reason people get rid of their guns are to either to flip it with a margin, get rid of a regret gun for another gun, trade up using negotiating skills, or just cash out.  I for one don't need to flip a gun for a $50 margin here or there, cash out, or trade, my nutty reasons to keep them all include I really have a great passion for each gun I own, each gun I own has a story, and finally because I think the personal liability potential (not worried about criminal liability) in a civil matter as well as a conscious guilt matter is too much for this backwoods gun nut guy to take.  So no trades, no sell, no risk!  My respectful collection will be passed on to my sons with some level of piece of mind.  

So gun control, no, on the contrary, just plum nutty! :screwy: